Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a set-top box please

• 31-05-2011 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a set-top box. I have the old sky satellite already set up.

To be honest, i'm not looking to spend a lot. It doesn't have to have any extra bells or whistles such as PVR, DivX functionality or dual tuners - i just want a basic box that has a good speedy user interface and is reliable. I've used an old Ferguson box that it is extremely laggy and the interface was awful. I'd like it to be able to pick up HD also (does anyone have a full list of the HD channels available?). I couldn't pick up ITV HD on the last box because it was red button only.

Ideally i'd be looking to spend between €50 and €75 - i'm not sure if this is reasonable but i thought it might be considering that i'm not looking for an special functionality.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭gnolan

John mac wrote: »

Thanks, but would i not be paying more for features i don't really want, ie. the DVB-T decoder? Just to confirm - i have no interest in receiving digital terrestrial channels though the box.

Would you have any opinions of the Ariva Ferguson T60? Any idea how much shipping costs on that site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

54.01 PLN ~€14

sorry dont know anything about them should be fine though.

free hd channels
    bbc1hd
    bbbhd
    itvhd
    stvhd (same as itv but with different films sometimes)
    ch4 hd
    nhkhd

Thanks for your help. Hopefully someone can tell me whether the set-top box is any good or should i be looking at something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭AstralTV

gnolan wrote: »
    Thanks for your help. Hopefully someone can tell me whether the set-top box is any good or should i be looking at something different.

try http://www.tvtrade.ie/edision-piccollo-hd-satellite-receiver.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Thanks, but would i not be paying more for features i don't really want, ie. the DVB-T decoder? Just to confirm - i have no interest in receiving digital terrestrial channels though the box.

Would you have any opinions of the Ariva Ferguson T60? Any idea how much shipping costs on that site?

That IS a digital terrestrial box you've linked to though.

If you want a Freesat box, nice menus, easy set up and BBCHD, ITVHD, CH4 HD you'll pick 'em up at decent prices 2nd hand on ebay.co.uk - many sellers will ship to RoI if asked.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bush-Freesat-Satellite-HD-Digital-Box-CD5-/230627195037?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item35b273b89d#ht_2268wt_925

Alternatively use Amazon or take a trip to Argos Newry.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sagemcom-Satellite-Digital-Receiver-freesat/dp/B002XSKSHM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306877106&sr=8-2

I have been having a look at the Ariva 120 combo in the second post. It all looks great until i saw the user interface.

graph4.jpg

It reminds me of the old Ferguson i have here at home. The interface is ugly and clunky looking - it would put me off using it to be honest.

Does anyone have any experience of using a box that has a sleek and speedy user interface?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Yes, a Freesat box, easy to set up, easy to use and self updating.

excollier wrote: »
    Yes, a Freesat box, easy to set up, easy to use and self updating.

Thanks for that. Does a free-to-air box have any advantages over a freesat box apart from being cheaper? Do they get all the same channels? Do i have the option of manually tuning in a station on a freesat box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I'm far from the most technical savvy guy in the world, just wondering how this works in terms of Saorview? I got a HDTV the weekend and it automatically added all the Saorview stuff. Will getting this basically replace that service but have extra channels? Cheers.

• Advertisement

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I'm far from the most technical savvy guy in the world, just wondering how this works in terms of Saorview? I got a HDTV the weekend and it automatically added all the Saorview stuff. Will getting this basically replace that service but have extra channels? Cheers.

No. What i'm talking about is freesat and free-to-air; both come through satellite. Saorview comes through your terrestrial aerial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Does a free-to-air box have any advantages over a freesat box apart from being cheaper?

Yes and no. Usually a fairly unattractive user interface with only now/next info on the epg, though many will support advanced features like diseqc and ccam though you've stated a preference for bells and whistles free.
    Do they get all the same channels? Do i have the option of manually tuning in a station on a freesat box?

Yes, a FTA box may tune in more peripheral rubbish though.

You can tune in other channels on a Freesat box in non freesat mode.

All this info is elsewhere on the forum, use the search function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Thanks for that. Does a free-to-air box have any advantages over a freesat box apart from being cheaper? Do they get all the same channels? Do i have the option of manually tuning in a station on a freesat box?
    You can use non-Freesat mode on some Freesat receivers, in this mode it behaves like a FTA receiver, ie you will get the channels that are not signed up to Freesat epg, but you only get now & next on the guide.
    The freesat epg gives you 7 days listings, and a well ordered channel list that keeps itself updated.
    If you want simple to use, then go for a Freesat box, no question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

No. What i'm talking about is freesat and free-to-air; both come through satellite. Saorview comes through your terrestrial aerial.
    No I mean will the box recommended in the above link be able to receive what is available on Saorview (RTE 2 HD etc) and be of similar picture quality.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    No I mean will the box recommended in the above link be able to receive what is available on Saorview (RTE 2 HD etc) and be of similar picture quality.

The box quoted in the second post will be able to receive both Saorview (digital aerial) and free-to-air (digital satellite).

A freeview box with MPEG4 capabilities will be able to receive Saorview with similar picture quality to your current TV. A free-to-air or a free-sat box will not be able to receive Saorview, you must have a satellite set up to receive any channels with these boxes.

I don't know if that fully answers your question.

Advertisement