Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical testing business

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Irish Fire
    Thanks for your reply but do you not think there are too many working in the fire industry at the moment.It seems that there is a lot of small companies springing up from the big few(not saying anything wrong with that I am one),and it just seems like a race to the bottom.As for cold calling it's the most frustrating thing on the planet for me.To try and get the person responsible for the life safety system to even come and meet you is practically impossible.Maybe it's just my techniques.As for the fire officers getting more clued in I think thats a great thing,the sooner they start shutting down buildings the better.Have you experienced fire officers requesting pat results and if so what part of the country.

I tend to agree there are a lot of small companies out there (lads let go from the likes of Apex etc....) but I feel they only make contact with their old customers and they tend not to survive. I am small as well and cold calling is a pain in the ass but it's the only way you will grow and develop. It's amazing the results you get when you try. At the start you may only have a 1 in 10 success rate but as you get more confident you will bring this back to about 1 in 4 or 5. I would suggest you start locally and work from there.

I'm finding that fire officers not are justifing their existance (I'm going to rattle a few cages with that comment) and now that they don't have the sites to visit they are back to visiting shops pubs offices etc.... and hitting them hard. While P.A.T. does not really come under their control they can look for it because of the fire risk that may arise. I would know a lot of the fire officers around the country and they are looking for P.A.T. certs more and more but not only that they are looking for the qualifications of the people that carry out the tests in all aspects of safety i.e. fire em lighting etc..... I was at a meeting last week where I upgraded a fire system and the I was asked to look at upgrading the em lighting I didn't take it on as I would not have got all the work completed before the fire officers deadline, so my client got another company to do the work. The fire officer twigged mistakes made on the upgrade of the lights and ripped the M.D. of the company a new rear end in the meeting, he was so annoyed he wants to a list of all the projects they completed in the county and he is going to inspect them. I know of several inspections lately that have been done with a fine tooth comb and the reports back from the fire officers are very detailed and almost damming of the install companies involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whiteblueman

What is the current rate for one of these reports?

Advertisement