Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTB Registration

Options
  • 31-05-2011 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi,

My landlord runs a business out of the ground floor of the housing block I am in. Does that exempt him from PRTB registration for the other two housing units in the block, one of which I live in?

thanks,
    jlar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Are they proper flats or just rooms? if they are self-contained, he definitely needs to register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 eeijlar

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. They are proper flats with a separate entrance. I thought he might have escaped due to this clause:

What dwellings are exempt from registration with the PRTB?

* Business premises, even where partly residential (to which section 13(1)(a) of the Landlord and Tenant (Amendment) Act 1980 could apply).

jlar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

eeijlar wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply. They are proper flats with a separate entrance. I thought he might have escaped due to this clause:

What dwellings are exempt from registration with the PRTB?

* Business premises, even where partly residential (to which section 13(1)(a) of the Landlord and Tenant (Amendment) Act 1980 could apply).

jlar
    I think you are right and they don't have to register with the PRTB the same way rent a room scheme works. Not 100% sure though, if not the PRTB are unlikely to fine him for misunderstanding the PRTB rule.

Common misconception is that they fine everybody the minute they discover the PRTB has not been paid. It is like not paying your TV license in reality they give you a chance to pay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

As the flats are completely independent I would think the the landlord should register with the PRTB.

Check with the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Meant to say that rule is primarily part of the rent above a shop that they were trying to encourage at one point. It probably doesn't apply to all businesses nor multiple lettings

It doesn't effect you as a tenant so shouldn't be any of your concern.

• Advertisement
Advertisement