Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford is turning into a slum

• 31-05-2011 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Last Sunday I spent a while in the city centre around the afternoon
    The city centre was literally fun of Romanin beggars and balloon sellers
    Elderly people were being appraoached by these parasites with paper cups, begging
    Any non-Waterford person visiting would never come back

But hey, we put up with it, we dont demand the guards stop their activities, thats the Irish way

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

It's in every city and town in ireland. There's nothing about waterford that is more appealing for beggars and slumites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Fighters Planet

I agree man, just sad to see
    I think we as a county should have more prie though and because Garda resources are stretched I think a time could come very soon where we have to set up a voluntary community group to make sure the elderly and the like in Waterford can go about their business like they did every day up til these tramps came here without being harassed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Were they all carrying their passports for inspection? :rolleyes:

Do you know there is a difference between Romanians and Roma Gypsies?

Do you think the town looks better at 3am on a Sunday morning?

Waterford ain't no slum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Fighters Planet

And here come the do-gooders...
    Well done ******

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Lots of Roma gypsies begging in Rome the last time I was there.

Not to my liking, but it didn't make the place a slum...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Elderly people were being appraoached by these parasites with paper cups, begging

But hey, we put up with it, we dont demand the guards stop their activities, thats the Irish way
    Well SOMEONE is a negative nancy!

How can something be literally fun OF something else? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

dayshah wrote: »
    Were they all carrying their passports for inspection? :rolleyes:

Do you know there is a difference between Romanians and Roma Gypsies?

Oh I was waiting for a loser to start on this line . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

[Opens envelope]

...and the award for the worst new troll goes to...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Get a grip FFS. Waterford is far from a slum. Waterford is looking far better these days than it ever has in living memory.

Don't like the beggars though, obviously. Hint: don't go to Dublin. Would be like that episode of the Simpsons where the indian is crying over a bit of litter when there is a wasteland of trash behind him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

On the Romanian v Roma thing ..... I performed in Romania 2 years ago (and will do so again in August) and found Romanian folks to be just like the rest of us, most nice some not. Bucharest is one of the few cities I've been to where I was approached by strangers asking if I needed directions because I was standing on a corner holding a map.

Begging Roma are a different kettle of fish and a pain in the arse in most European cities including Bucharest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

We should do what the French did and send the Roma back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'd be more worried about the large amount of scum turned out by Waterford (and Ireland) turning the place into a "slum".

I'd suggest OP, that you do a bit of reading on history and geography too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note

Fighters Planet, can we send you back? I think we can, let me check what I can do with this big red button.....

Indeed we can. Good bye. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

You must be new around here but in the Waterford forum you are only allowed to say nice things about waterford. Common mistake just dont let it happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

jayboi wrote: »
    You must be new around here but in the Waterford forum you are only allowed to say nice things about waterford. Common mistake just dont let it happen again.
    According to mod edit he seemsnto be gone.
    Your point has been proven. :s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Sully wrote: »
    Mod Note

Fighters Planet, can we send you back? I think we can, let me check what I can do with this big red button.....

if you read this in the voice of Darth Vader it sounds ominous :D

Sully wrote: »
    Mod Note

I have visions of someone sitting into a chair and all of a sudden it ejects from the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

old gregg wrote: »
    On the Romanian v Roma thing ..... I performed in Romania 2 years ago (and will do so again in August) and found Romanian folks to be just like the rest of us, most nice some not. Bucharest is one of the few cities I've been to where I was approached by strangers asking if I needed directions because I was standing on a corner holding a map.

Begging Roma are a different kettle of fish and a pain in the arse in most European cities including Bucharest.

Roma are to Romanians what Travellers are to Irish (except there are plenty of Roma native to Hungary, Bulgaria, Spain etc, whereas Travellers are more or less unique to Ireland).

But the beggars I find most annoying wear Hi-Viz vest and are paid €14 an hour to get my bank details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Is it too late to say thread is full of begrudgery..... :)

dayshah wrote: »
    Roma are to Romanians what Travellers are to Irish (except there are plenty of Roma native to Hungary, Bulgaria, Spain etc, whereas Travellers are more or less unique to Ireland).

But the beggars I find most annoying wear Hi-Viz vest and are paid €14 an hour to get my bank details.

Ah the chuggers. Yes I find them most annoying too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

ziedth wrote: »

BANNED

Any further use of the word "begrudgery" on the forum will result in an immediate 7 day ban.

ziedth wrote: »
    Its never too late!!

People are only jealous of them they see some new exciting people coming into town putting money back into it and all they do is want them to fail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

thats the Irish way
    It's town planning! Build housing estates and shopping centres around the city outskirts and move everyone out there. Then let the city centre go downhill and close the shops. It's called a 'doughnut city'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

nice people

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

Has anyone in Waterford had the sense to demolish the Ard Ree Hotel yet ? - theres your problem right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Has anyone in Waterford had the sense to demolish the Ard Ree Hotel yet ? - theres your problem right there.
    There's a sheet in front of it. Nobody will know its there

They're going to hire Keith Barry to make the place disappear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

jayboi wrote: »

He's entitled to his opinion and to be fair for a small city Waterford is rough enough.:)

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Nolanger wrote: »
    It's town planning! Build housing estates and shopping centres around the city outskirts and move everyone out there. Then let the city centre go downhill and close the shops. It's called a 'doughnut city'.

There's not much to do in Waterford the shopping is quite bad compared to Cork and Dublin even Kilkenny has more to offer.It has better lightlife and better shopping and it's not even a proper city.The main street in Waterford is just full of take aways and mobile phone shops.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I wouldn't have bothered only for I got about half a dozen emails telling me about a reported post, and when checking, the OP has a similar past on other forums. It seems clear to me he came on purposely to wind the regulars up and dish out a bit of abuse while at it. Emails come to my phone. :)

Plus he sent me a heartfelt PM after the ban was applied. :D

Advertisement