Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford is turning into a slum

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

ah yes, trolling in its finest form. set off a spark and watch the people go.
    you gotta hand it to him, he did a good job :)

he must be a troll, who in their right mind would not like the wonderful paradise we call Waterford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ah fook that so. the whole getting notifications on your phone for emails is deadly at the start then after a while its "ah shup will ya" .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

He's entitled to his opinion and to be fair for a small city Waterford is rough enough.:)
    There's not much to do in Waterford the shopping is quite bad compared to Cork and Dublin even Kilkenny has more to offer.It has better lightlife and better shopping and it's not even a proper city.The main street in Waterford is just full of take aways and mobile phone shops.
    You are quite the straight talker!

See what I did there? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Pac413

I just looked up the Wikipedia article on "slum", and couldn't find anything about balloons :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

old gregg wrote: »
    if you read this in the voice of Darth Vader it sounds ominous :D
    Yeah but I think Sully is more Dark Helmet than Darth Vader. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

Whaddaya mean "Waterford is turning into a slum"? This town HAS been a slum for as long as I can remember. Have you ever visited Dublin, Cork or Galway and been impressed with how cool they feel? The only city that I've ever visited that felt more shambolic than Waterford was Limerick in the 1970s and even that has improved a lot. The Celtic Tiger never even passed through the city of Waterford. Take a good look around the city and try to imagine you're seeing things through the eyes of visitors for the Tall Ships Race. It's absolutely revolting how bad the place looks and there's very little that would entice visitors back here. Slum City, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Guramoogah wrote: »
    Whaddaya mean "Waterford is turning into a slum"? This town HAS been a slum for as long as I can remember. Have you ever visited Dublin, Cork or Galway and been impressed with how cool they feel? The only city that I've ever visited that felt more shambolic than Waterford was Limerick in the 1970s and even that has improved a lot. The Celtic Tiger never even passed through the city of Waterford. Take a good look around the city and try to imagine you're seeing things through the eyes of visitors for the Tall Ships Race. It's absolutely revolting how bad the place looks and there's very little that would entice visitors back here. Slum City, indeed.

Funny how visitors don't actually say that. Mostly just the locals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Two things I must ask from this thread:

1. Where are all these balloon sellers?

2. How in your right mind can you think that city centre Dublin is less of a slum then here.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

seanybiker wrote: »
    There's a sheet in front of it. Nobody will know its there

Just like the wizard of oz...better hope toto doesn't show up before the ships do!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

Guramoogah wrote: »

Waterford is my closest city,so i go out there alot and shop there.Beggers are no where near a problem as they are in Dublin - junkies everywhere that dont mind asking you gor change and make up feel bad when you dont give any.

The night life isnt to bad ,ive had some decent nights down there but you're limited to where you can go due to the size of the place - waterford is a tiny place and only a city by Irish standards.

For me anyway it lacks character,but in saying that i think anyone who spends enough time around a certain city eventually gets used to it.Cork ,Galway and Kilkenny all have alot more going on and are alot prettier to look at.

Slum - far from it,You have to take waterford for what it is.A small city with alot of potential.Tall ships not far away and waterford music festival as well - maybe not much in some peoples eyes but alot better than nothing.

Maybe i was a little harsh on the the place, with all my moaning i still look forward to a night out down there and a day browsing around the book center so it cant be that bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

anywhere can grow tiresome when you spend too long in it. i have loads of friends that go on about 'aw waterford is a sh1thole' but then when you ask them 'compared to where?' they have no answer because they've never left the place!
    when i finished my leaving cert a couple of years ago i left for dublin cuz i too was fed up of waterford, and it only made me realise what a lovely little place we have here. I genuinely much prefer waterford to dublin, its safer, friendlier, more compact and cheaper.

beggars i here you talk of! i guarantee you will find more beggars at any one time on one street in dublin than you will in the whole city of waterford.

one thing i dont understand. the only people to give out about waterford are the locals and they are fully entitled to their opinion. but when people say its small/**** nightlife/ nothing to do etc. What about people who live in places like tipp town/carrick on suir/clonroche/enniscorthy??? what have they got, and youd never hear them moaning half as much?

to sum everything up, waterford is great everywhere else is average so come to waterford and spend your money :D

rant over..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

kkdela6 wrote: »
    anywhere can grow tiresome when you spend too long in it. i have loads of friends that go on about 'aw waterford is a sh1thole' but then when you ask them 'compared to where?' they have no answer because they've never left the place!
    when i finished my leaving cert a couple of years ago i left for dublin cuz i too was fed up of waterford, and it only made me realise what a lovely little place we have here. I genuinely much prefer waterford to dublin, its safer, friendlier, more compact and cheaper.

beggars i here you talk of! i guarantee you will find more beggars at any one time on one street in dublin than you will in the whole city of waterford.

one thing i dont understand. the only people to give out about waterford are the locals and they are fully entitled to their opinion. but when people say its small/**** nightlife/ nothing to do etc. What about people who live in places like tipp town/carrick on suir/clonroche/enniscorthy??? what have they got, and youd never hear them moaning half as much?

to sum everything up, waterford is great everywhere else is average so come to waterford and spend your money :D

rant over..

Id hardly call that a claim to fame or is that the standard Waterford City folk compare themselves to.It's not Irelands forgotten city for nothing Dublin,Cork and Kilkenny expose it's limitations.Kilkenny has the McDonagh junction centre,Cork has Opera Avenue and the Mahon Point Centre.Oh well i suppose there's always City Square and the hyper center rofl.With that said i do prefer it over Galway and Limerick.To be honest Waterford city is not even the best place in Waterford nevermind Ireland that's Dungarvan.:pac:

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Id hardly call that a claim to fame or is that the standard Waterford City folk compare themselves to.It's not Irelands forgotten city for nothing Dublin,Cork and Kilkenny expose it's limitations.Kilkenny has the McDonagh junction centre,Cork has Opera Avenue and the Mahon Point Centre.Oh well i suppose there's always City Square and the hyper center rofl.With that said i do prefer it over Galway and Limerick.To be honest Waterford city is not even the best place in Waterford nevermind Ireland that's Dungarvan.:pac:

Different strokes for different folks. I don't rate cities by their shopping malls. I'm more cultured than that :D

dayshah wrote: »
    Different strokes for different folks. I don't rate cities by their shopping malls. I'm more cultured than that :D

If you're a city decent shopping facilities is a requirement and how will you attract people if there's nowhere to spend there money?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmm we now have youth's going around breaking car windows in the city centre in broad daylight.

http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/15240.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

? don't get it, maybe you're not looking hard enough. On day's like today it's a pleasure to stroll through the town. Maybe it's because I'm old enough to remember arundle square when it was arundle square and the town was concrete and tarmac with a bunch of ****ty shops stuck together in a row. The entire town from the mall to O connell st is sparkling, its great to just be able to walk through it and take a seat at a cafe between shopping spurts. There are a few new shops and pubs been opening up here and there again, the viking triangle is taking off, the preparations for the tall ships are well underway, everything looks spruced up and there is life in the city..and plenty to do and look forward to. I've a friend visiting for the weekend and when she comes back down there's no problem finding things to do, whether it's going for a munch in one of the many decent restaurants or cafe bars with decent beer gardens/smoking area or a game of pool or head to a live gig later, there's plenty to choose from. Head out surfing, take a dip, spin around the coast, hike the comeraghs..jesus, Waterford has a lot going for it and with weather like this is only looks better.

and if it's inhabitants your referring to, fcuk that, I also remember growing up in the eighties and can tell you there were much much worse walking the streets then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Kanoe wrote: »
    ? don't get it, maybe you're not looking hard enough. On day's like today it's a pleasure to stroll through the town. Maybe it's because I'm old enough to remember arundle square when it was arundle square and the town was concrete and tarmac with a bunch of ****ty shops stuck together in a row. The entire town from the mall to O connell st is sparkling, its great to just be able to walk through it and take a seat at a cafe between shopping spurts. There are a few new shops and pubs been opening up here and there again, the viking triangle is taking off, the preparations for the tall ships are well underway, everything looks spruced up and there is life in the city..and plenty to do and look forward to. I've a friend visiting for the weekend and when she comes back down there's no problem finding things to do, whether it's going for a munch in one of the many decent restaurants or cafe bars with decent beer gardens/smoking area or a game of pool or head to a live gig later, there's plenty to choose from. Head out surfing, take a dip, spin around the coast, hike the comeraghs..jesus, Waterford has a lot going for it and with weather like this is only looks better.

and if it's inhabitants your referring to, fcuk that, I also remember growing up in the eighties and can tell you there were much much worse walking the streets then.

Spot on on all points.

It's a case of familiarity breeds contempt and old ideas about Waterford die hard. Some people nearly make a living out of complaining about the city and it's very difficult for those people to walk down the Mall in its vastly improved state or sit down for coffee in the middle of JR square, and look around with fresh eyes.

As for the shopping in Waterford, we all know it's not great. It's only adequate. But to say that there is *nowhere* to shop is a joke. There are plenty of shops, and again, it's a case of jaded eyes looking to Debenhams and Dunnes and saying that's not enough, and not being aware or interested in the numerous smaller shops that have been there years or have recently opened.

Waterford has a real cafe culture (at last) these days and there are numerous places to get a bite and cup of coffee in town now, at least between 9 and 5. There's probably as much money made on coffee and sandwiches in town as there are on clothes at this stage. The jaded, 'Waterford is a slum' brigade never see the new places opening, only the closures and when somewhere new opens it's a case 'no point in goin' in there boy, it'll be gone in a few months'.

Only a few years ago the O'Connell st. area was supposed to turn into a slum, but the whole area continues to strengthen, even in a recession. Luckily, the groups that have migrated to Ireland and are still here are a hard working breed, and are not interested in that script.

If only 1 person in 30 who spends all their time whinging about Waterford would start a business or run a club or society or get involved in something, people might start taking ownership of the city, rather than whinging about the council, some business or vested interest. Either that, or people could just give themselves a break from the 'pain and torture' and move somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

ah sure every town has its few bad eggs, you will be hard pushed to find a Utopian town/city............ nothing wrong with waterford and its certainly not a slum. The fact that the tall ships will visit 2 times in 6 years is a credit to the town and reinforces that it is a vibrant quaint area, if you weighed up waterfords positives they would outweigh the negatives, negatives which the OP is focusing solely on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

merlante wrote: »
    Spot on on all points.

It's a case of familiarity breeds contempt and old ideas about Waterford die hard. Some people nearly make a living out of complaining about the city and it's very difficult for those people to walk down the Mall in its vastly improved state or sit down for coffee in the middle of JR square, and look around with fresh eyes.

As for the shopping in Waterford, we all know it's not great. It's only adequate. But to say that there is *nowhere* to shop is a joke. There are plenty of shops, and again, it's a case of jaded eyes looking to Debenhams and Dunnes and saying that's not enough, and not being aware or interested in the numerous smaller shops that have been there years or have recently opened.

Waterford has a real cafe culture (at last) these days and there are numerous places to get a bite and cup of coffee in town now, at least between 9 and 5. There's probably as much money made on coffee and sandwiches in town as there are on clothes at this stage. The jaded, 'Waterford is a slum' brigade never see the new places opening, only the closures and when somewhere new opens it's a case 'no point in goin' in there boy, it'll be gone in a few months'.

Only a few years ago the O'Connell st. area was supposed to turn into a slum, but the whole area continues to strengthen, even in a recession. Luckily, the groups that have migrated to Ireland and are still here are a hard working breed, and are not interested in that script.

If only 1 person in 30 who spends all their time whinging about Waterford would start a business or run a club or society or get involved in something, people might start taking ownership of the city, rather than whinging about the council, some business or vested interest. Either that, or people could just give themselves a break from the 'pain and torture' and move somewhere else.

Well said. Whilst I'd be the first to admit our City has real problems, it's telling how people who stay with us always want to come back. A work colleague who came over a couple of years ago and enjoyed a legendary night in Downes' is coming over again towards the end of the year with two other couples. That's a lot of spend on hotel rooms, meals, drinks into the local economy and word-of-mouth publicity you can't buy.

I honestly just don't understand why people come on here constantly trolling/moaning. No, Waterford is not perfect. Yes, there are dickheads around on occasion. It's the same as everywhere else.

It's time to focus on the positives we already have - the Viking quarter, our coasts, the Crystal centre, the mountains - and what we'll hopefully have soon - a better waterfront, WSVR extension, Mt. Congreve, the new museum.

SSE

PS I just tell everybody the Ard Ri is a secret spy base.

PS I just tell everybody the Ard Ri is a secret spy base.
    Not very secret now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

I agree with last few posters, Waterford is certainly not a slum. My wife is from Dublin and loves it here. It takes her 5 mins to get to work and she can come home at lunch. I walk into work and walk home ( very hard to put a price on that).

Our neighbours are lovely and we have never seen any hassle in 5 years living here. As other posters said get out and get involved in city and try and do something constructive instead of moaning/trolling.

Every city has its problem take Sydney were i lived for years everyone would say that its a excellent city but it has massive areas of high unemployment/drugs/crime. As i said everywhere has its problems but we need to work to solve them rather than giving out.

I havent been in town in fecking ages. probably hasnt been since around october last year. Im mad though so that probably explains a lot.
    town is grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

waterford is a mad craic i love the place. if i get a decent job here id move back down again. much nicer place than dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

jad2007 wrote: »
    I agree with last few posters, Waterford is certainly not a slum. My wife is from Dublin and loves it here. It takes her 5 mins to get to work and she can come home at lunch. I walk into work and walk home ( very hard to put a price on that).

Our neighbours are lovely and we have never seen any hassle in 5 years living here. As other posters said get out and get involved in city and try and do something constructive instead of moaning/trolling.

Every city has its problem take Sydney were i lived for years everyone would say that its a excellent city but it has massive areas of high unemployment/drugs/crime. As i said everywhere has its problems but we need to work to solve them rather than giving out.

Same here, never had anything but help and kindness from my current neighbours and in all the other dodgy flats I lived in the city in the last decade!

The only other place I really lived in was Limerick and for all the great amenities and shopping it had, you couldn't beat coming through Sally Park at the end of the week, knowing you'd be home in a few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

I must say that my Fiance and I walked down one side of the Quay last night and up the other side near all the shops and I must say it was clean and not a sign of any rubbish in sight!

We have lived in a few cities and by far Waterford is the best and this is where we have made our home!

The Quays have a lot of work going on and it is looking lovely and clean!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

Had a run in with a pedophile their in city square yesterday, i tell ya know i wasn't expecting that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think the biggest asset Waterford has is it's friendly people especially towards visitors to the city.

I posted before about a couple in their 60's from my home place in Galway came to Walsh Park for a match and their first visit to Waterford, parked and went in one entrance but came out a different gate and then were walking round the place trying to find their car.

An elderly couple living near Walsh Park were out the front of their place and noticed that my former neighbours were looking a bit confused and offered to drive my neighbour around the surrounding roads to find the car and invited them in for tea before they headed back to Galway.

My neighbours declined as they were coming to visit me but they were blown away by the kindness and generosity of this couple and I know when they went back to Galway they told plenty of people about this generous couple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The weather is too good in Waterford to make it a slum!

Advertisement