Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else really calm?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭thefa

No need to be getting stressed over the leaving. Might seem like the end of the world to some but it's really just a means to an end and you shouldn't think about anything besides getting the course you really want, if you want to get a course that is. Once you get that course, you're right back on level ground with everyone there. Only those with their head lodged up their hole are going to really care about whether they beat you in the leaving. Besides, the leaving is a poor inidcator of how someones actually going to perform when they get out in the real world.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I couldn't really give a ****e to be honest. I'm not in the mood to study at all, because doing foundation maths means I only qualify for a small amount of courses, nearly all of which I'm not interested in at all. I have 1 down on my CAO and I couldn't care less if I get it or not.
    How apt a username :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 PoisonIvy

pockets3d wrote: »
    Also we need a forum for students who don't give a fluck about the leaving.
    Everyone who posts here is like doing all honours and expects a place in trinity as well as a high powered House-esque career and barbie house wife.
    Wheres the leaving cert students who have some concept of reality and know they will likely end up emigrating to work on a farm in Australia for the rest of their lives?
    Wow seriously? Talk about stereotyping.. We girls do the leaving cert these days too, it's crazyyy.. So no barbie house wife for me, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

To the guy talking smack about barbie houses wifes and the like, your obviously pissed off cause you didn't bother to work for 2 years. You acted like the "hard" man in class and its only now you begin to realize your mistake that you should have worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

thefa wrote: »
    No need to be getting stressed over the leaving. Might seem like the end of the world to some but it's really just a means to an end and you shouldn't think about anything besides getting the course you really want, if you want to get a course that is. Once you get that course, you're right back on level ground with everyone there. Only those with their head lodged up their hole are going to really care about whether they beat you in the leaving. Besides, the leaving is a poor inidcator of how someones actually going to perform when they get out in the real world.

This has lifted me quite a bit for today. My main worry is that people will think I'm a bit stupid, even though I'm capable of getting the 500. I've had a particularly crappy year and been sick a lot...those who think it's a competition can fudge off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

_meehan_ wrote: »
    This has lifted me quite a bit for today. My main worry is that people will think I'm a bit stupid, even though I'm capable of getting the 500. I've had a particularly crappy year and been sick a lot...those who think it's a competition can fudge off!

nobody would think you're stupid! sure the leaving is more a measure of how well you rote learn and regurgitate info than intelligence

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

thefa wrote: »

+1 Brilliant advice. I repeated the leaving last year and the way some people were talking it was like last chance saloon for me. Family were great, just saying it's not the end of the world and i believed it myself. Got way more points this time and now in UL :D. Good luck everyone.

nobody would think you're stupid! sure the leaving is more a measure of how well you rote learn and regurgitate info than intelligence

Yeah I know, but I'm my own worst enemy (cringe, what a cliché!!:pac:) My whole year group in school happens to be the highest achieving group they've had for years. Everyone's really focused, it's intimidating enough tbh! I hate rote learning, can't wait to be rid of this system!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

pajero12 wrote: »
    How apt a username :pac:

Aha!, eh. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

_meehan_ wrote: »
    those who think it's a competition can fudge off!
    Agreed!

This is why I'm repeating.. Was surrounded by gowls last year who kept comparing everything, from hours of study, to possible points.

Ill never forget the mock results. People comparing and teasing.

My repeat year are completely different. Not competitive at all. Everyone just does their own thing!

I think its the familarity that breeds competition in schools youve been in 6 years.

(Talking about a year group situation)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Agreed!

This is why I'm repeating.. Was surrounded by gowls last year who kept comparing everything, from hours of study, to possible points.

My repeat year are completely different. Not competitive at all. Everyone just does their own thing!

I think its the familarity that breeds competition in schools youve been in 6 years.

the leaving cert is 100% a competition. it doesnt matter how well or bad you do, as long as you do better than a certain number of people (as required by your course)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    the leaving cert is 100% a competition. it doesnt matter how well or bad you do, as long as you do better than a certain number of people (as required by your course)

You could not be more right. In the entrance test for the BMus in Maynooth, there were 300 people and you could cut the tension with a knife, EVERYONE was seeing everyone else as rivals who could potentially take their eventual spot in the course. The audition and interview stage was even worse, it was down to the last hundred people and you saw people going in cocky or nervous and coming out grinning or ashen-faced. In the end only around 30 got a place, leaving 270 to go find a course elsewhere. You can imagine how some of them felt when they had to log onto their CAO and take MH103 off their choices list, maybe off their number one spot. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't spare a thought as I celebrated with my acceptance letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I think I do better in a competitive environment. Not that I would mock people for getting worse than me or anything like that but simply for myself. I dislike being beaten at anything and the only think making me really try is that I might be disappointed in myself when we get our results.

Sadly in the mocks, 80% of the people were happy with their results while I performed below par.

BrendaN_f wrote: »

No doubt it's a competition between people for places in certain courses. What I mean is competition within a year group, most of whom are aiming for completely different courses. That is not a competition, yet for some reason, people feel the need to compare their results to those of their friends. It can be really intimidating and degrading too in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Agreed!

As a first-timer LCer, I agree. . .loads of people comparing everything. . .

It's more a way of coping for some people, I think. . .one friend of mine is constantly doin it now. . .the trick(for me anyway!) is to realise that the one's who stoop to comparing numbers of hours studied, and grades from self-marked pre's are really and truly feeling the heat. . .

Good ad for the repeat though. . .I imagine everyone is probably so sick to death of the comparing game from the previous year that they just find other things to talk about. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

think i'm so calm because i still don't have a clue what i want to do so i'm not really aiming or thinking of how much points i need, i'll probably regret my laziness in august :/

Advertisement