Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bye bye Daleks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Contract must've run out, so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Is this news? I thought it was common knowledge ages ago that they wouldn't show up for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Fantastic! Molto bene!

In the first four series' (from 2005), the Daleks were used far too much. 3 of the series finales, and a few episodes mid series. Glad they're getting a rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Hate the new ones anyway, original Dalek design should have retained :(

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

I don't mind. I like them as a villain and the less frequently they turn up makes it all the better when they do feature. I'm sure they'll turn up again sometime during Smith's tenure though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

For some reason I was under the impression they were going to not be in this series but show up in this year's Christmas episode. I also heard that the Russel T Davis Daleks would be back as subservient drones to the new ones. Doesn't really matter to me, I like both. It's good that they're being given a break for a while but I'm surprised the BBC allowed it considering how much Dalek merchandise is worth to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think this was reported in various blogs and genre websites before series 6 aired, but this is the first time it has been "officially" reported by mainstream press (hell it was page 3 in the Metro this morning!).

Good riddance I say; back in the day, the Daleks turned up once/twice every regeneration in the previous incarnation of the show. The Daleks were an event, even if the stories themselves weren't always the best.

In the new run, they turned up once every series, minimum; each appearance devaluing their potential threat & mystery that bit more. It also didn't help that RTD felt the need to "top" each appearance with increasingly large stakes & quantity. We went from one lone dalek in "Dalek" (still one of the best new series stories by far) to millions of the buggers trying to destroy the universe again (cringe).

I don't blame Moffat because really - where do you go from here? His previous producer has left him no room. Notwithstanding the truly awful new designs, I did think that "Victory of the Daleks" felt like something of a swansong: the daleks "won", then upped and left in on particular direction to plot & scheme. Seemed like Moffat was mothballing the pepperpots for some other time. When perhaps their re-appearance might be something shocking.

Now having said all that...

Moffat said nothing about Davros. Davros is, in his own right, a great character and formidable opponent. His character can exist independently of the daleks, and would be great Moriarty-style villain for The Doctor. His appearance in series 4 was fleeting, and the actor playing him did a decent job, but he was surrounded by the aforementioned OTT, kitchen-sink scriptwriting & it'd be a shame if he didn't come back again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

It'll be good to get a break from them anyway, what I love about Doctor Who is the really imaginative creatures, the angels were fantastic, but god did the Daleks get boring. after the 4th season finale, I actually started to get annoyed with them. I'd rather see more newer creatures.

I agree with pixelburp anyway, each appearance tried to do something bigger and bigger, and it got soooo overdone.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

The pathetic thing about RTD and his trying to supposedly escalate the Dalek threat every time they showed up is that he managed to make them less dangerous while giving lip service to the threat being larger every time. In Dalek there is one Dalek who is an apparent and immediate threat to everyone (he kills loads and loads of people and IIRC he it's said near the end he killed 300 people in total in the bunker) and is shown as an unstoppable force of nature threatening to wipe out everything in its path and it worked really well.

Series 4 had the Daleks (or rather Davros) in the millions who are going to WIPE OUT THE WHOLE UNIVERSE (OMG!1!!11!!) but in actuality they kill like two dozen people in the whole episode and that's just as an experiment and there's never much of a sense of threat to them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent to have it confirmed - I was utterly fed up with them. RTD's over use ruined them for the reasons stated above. They need a very long rest.

I wonder if other monsters will be retired? I feel there's more potential with the Cybermen for example although I always preferred them anyway as they were more menacing and didn't take until Season 26 to get at stairs...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Gah. Moffat, please. Spoilers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

I don't know how I feel about this. I'm quite young and only started watching when it came back to the BBC a few years back.

I never found them that scary as opposed to the other villians but with them you always got a consistent episode. I think they were over used but I don't think they should be rested for too long. 2 seasons should be enough to regenerate them imo.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

That can't be a conincidence... Someone mentions the cybermen and I start getting advertisments on this thread for gold markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

That can't be a conincidence... Someone mentions the cybermen and I start getting advertisments on this thread for gold markets.
    If it was a really old thread you'd have got advertisements for radiation instead :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Who is that presenter, with an accent like that I feel I should know her from somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Sharon Horgan. She's from Meath and has been in a few shows like the Friday Night Project, Pulling and the Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.

I think she also writes screenplays.

Advertisement