Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Striker Poll (sort of)

Options
  • 31-05-2011 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,742 ✭✭✭

... bored here in work lads, so I thought I'd throw this one out as its been a bit quiet on here recently.

I've put below a list of strikers/forwards who are possible transfer targets for us this summer.

I think these players are all fairly plausible, achievable (even conservative) transfer targets.

I've intentionally not listed any top continental strikers because I dont think we have any real chance of signing anyone like Aguero, Falcao, Canavi etc

Berbatov. Even before he was omitted from the CL final he was been linked with a return to WHL. Also Likely to be offered as part of an player + cash deal for Bale\Modric\Sandro etc.
    Left on a sour note and hasn't been the success he was at spurs for Man U but if he re-produced the kind of form we seen in his last season at WHL he might be worth a shot.

Drogba. Another player heavily linked with spus, particularily when he was out of form after xmas and Torres was starting ahead of him.
    33 yrs old and probably passed his best but still a player to trouble the best of PL defenses.

Dembabayaromulatagdagdwo Ayobennigumgbundoyo Barenonkwolashola aka Demba Ba :D(thats his real name according to Wiki, look it up!).
    7 goals in 12 games is a good ratio but hardly a proven track record. On the plus side his wage demands are likely to be resonable when compared to some of the others mentioned here.

Anelka. Saw this one in the paper today. Getting on a bit -(32yrs old now) but could be the chelsea striker to move on this summer. Never seems to stay at the one club for too long but with about 10 years in the PL experience he's definetly worth a punt. Was PL top scorer 2 season's ago and regularly knocks in 15-20 goals a season.

Owen . Linked with a move away from OT when his contract expires, Owen might be the man to score the goals we so badly missed last season? Getting on abit, definitly not got the pace he once had and will probably ask for ridiculous wages.

Long. Now that Reading wont be in PL next season, will they cash in on their promising forward. the Ireland internation is only 23 (I think) and could be one foe the future after an excellent season in the championship.

Please rate in order of preference.

1 for favourite and 6 for least favourite

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,742 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Suppose I better get the ball rolling myself (D'oh)

1. Anelka
    2. Drogba
    3. Berba
    4. Long
    5. Ba
    6. Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

Dembabayaromulatagdagdwo Ayobennigumgbundoyo Barenonkwolashola aka Demba Ba

I think that was edited out, doesn't look like that's his name.

1. Drogba
    2. Long
    3. Anelka
    4. Ba
    5. Berba
    6. Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Suppose I better get the ball rolling myself (D'oh)

1. Anelka
    2. Drogba
    3. Berba
    4. Long
    5. Ba
    6. Owen

Same for me, Owen definitely last. Both Anelka and Drogba have at least another good season in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Drogba
    Long
    Berbs
    Anelka
    Forget the other 2

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tomo75

Anelka or Drogba - Yes

3. Berba - nope, scored 20 goal last season but still not convinced.
    4. Long - we have average strikers already
    5. Ba - as above
    6. Owen - missing for most of the season - not worth the punt.

We need to be looking at a striker which is better than what we already have. Only Drogba and Anelka fit that description.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spursman11

1. Berba-scoring goals
    2.Drogba-scoring goals
    3. Anelka-scoring goals
    rest too risky,others proven

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

1. Drogba goal machine and a handfull for any defender on his day
    2. Anelka
    3. Berbatov dislike the man for how he left but by far better than any other striker we have at the min.
    4. Ba is he champions league quality(which i reckon is waht we should be looking for)
    5. Long same as above.
    6. Owen(believe he signed a new 1 yr deal with utd today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Id say that Ba, Long and Owen would be a waste of time. We have plenty of average strikers already.

I think Harry could pull off a real coup if he got Drogba. Even if it would only be a short contract. I think if he was picked as the go to man he could recapture his past form. Especially with VDV playing around him.

Berbs and anelka would also do though.

Apart from them I say sell crouch defoe and keane to fund a bid for either Benzema - who is in Mourinhos first team plans or else Oscar Cardozo from benfica. He looks like a top class hold up man but also has exceptional technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,742 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Well, Owen signed a 1 year extention and Berba says he's going nowhere so he's an updates list.

1) Drogba
    2) Anelka
    3) Ba
    4) long
    5) Adeboyor
    6) Bellamy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Berbatov - Just what we need up front .. Intelligence and creativity to help us carve open those lower half teams who park the bus
    Llorente - is gettable! Barca & Real dont seem to be interested anymore
    Drogba - A couple of seasons if we are lucky but dont think Chelsea will sell and couldnt compete on wages
    Falcao - Absolutely gettable if we stump up the cash? Who is the competition?
    Adebayor - Wages again would be a problem but would be a great target man
    Rossi - Doesnt look like Barca are willing to spend the cash to get him

Dont really want to think of us going for the likes of Owen or Long. We need top class not unproven or past it players.

• Advertisement
Advertisement