Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non Eircom reliant Broadband

• 31-05-2011 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I need reliable broadband for my office in Dublin 2.
    I used Magnet for a couple of years but the connection would occasionally be intermittent, and support was poor. They often blamed the Eircom infrastructure. I didn't believe them.
    In frustration I have swapped over to Eircom only to find the connection is worse, and support equally poor.
    I am looking for a non eircom reliant broadband service. UPC doesn't service the area (Dawson St.).
    Does anyone know of any other providers?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Any ADSL supplier in Ireland is forced in one way or another to use eircom (eircom wholesale) equipment either for the actual provision of Broadband service or in some other manner.

If your running a business I'd stay well away from any of the "Mobile Broadband" options available,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Digiweb Metro wireless might be an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's a shame Magnet has proved problematic for you, oftentimes stability can be improved with a little work on the interior phone cabling and with a good filter etc. They also could have lowered the max speed slightly for extra stability. Given how close Dawson St. is to the exchange, Magnet or eircom business advanced would have given the highest broadband speeds on the general market for Dawson st.

Does anyone know of metro ethernet/fibre optic type products that would be suitable in or around Dawson St? It'll cost a LOT more than ordinary eircom DSL type services anyway.

Advertisement