Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being told "Go to After Hours"

Options
  • 31-05-2011 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

Anytime I make any type of mildly humourous or controversial comment on any of the other fora I get the moderators jumping on me saying either "This isn't After Hours you know" or "Save that for After Hours son!".

For example a few months ago I complained on the politics forum that if the government slashed the dole by too much I was going to protest by going returning to work... Mods all over me.

Yesterday on an "Online Dating" thread a lady, Jenna69 no less, said she wished someone would bring her out for a few drinks and see where it led. One fella replied by saying (in all seriousness) that he couldn't stay out late but that they could go for afternoon coffee instead... In a moment of madness I suggested his reply was "totally gay". I got a few snarky comments on the thread (I exercised restraint by not replying "Maybe you are all homosexual"), was warned by one mod, told it wasn't AH and then was banned from the forum two hours later by another mod.

Is this normal? Is this what boards is about?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Let's get this straight.

You want to be allowed to clog up threads in topic-specific forums, with off topic "funny" posts?

Is that correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

It hardly "clog".

How come it's always the Mods throwing in their 2 cents, complaining and defending the actions of other Mods? Let everyone else have their say for at least one thread please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If everyone did it, it would then be clogged, and there's be no place for proper discussion of the specific topics that the hundreds of forums are provided for.

Moderators are tasked with keeping the threads in the forums which they moderate free from the type of crap that you are saying should be allowed.

So, I'll ask again

You want to be allowed to clog up threads in topic-specific forums, with off topic "funny" posts?

Do you want special dispensation for this activity, or can everyone do it?

Or should we direct people who want to post such inanities to the more light-hearted and general topic forum called After Hours, and leave the people who want to seriously discuss their chosen topic, without interruption from your undoubtedly witty repertoire of comments, to their topics' specific forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭mstan

To be fair to the OP when I seen that Gay comment yesterday it did make me laugh. It's just a bit of harmless banter. Some people seem far to caught up on being "politically correct". I did think keanooo was hard done by getting banned for that joke.

Des wrote: »
    If everyone did it etc. etc. blah, blah, blah...

You people just can't stop yourselves, can you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

keanooo wrote: »
    You people just can't stop yourselves, can you?

*jumps on the bandwagon*

You're going to last ages around here with your charm, wit and eloquence. :)

You posted rubbish, you got caught out for it, you were punished for it. Boo friggin' hoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I'd hardly call it rubbish it was a joke for gods sake,some mods on here are way to sensitive when people come into their forum.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Different forums have different tolerance levels for banter.

That said after hours gets a bad rep all over boards.

Loads of charters have "this is not after hours" etc in it. Mods often chant out the ole "this is not after hours" mantra.

Often its done for stuff which isn't allowed in after hours either but it's part of the moderatorial lexicon now innit.

It used to bother me but now I just post in after hours instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ah, go take your gay complaint home to Yore Ma. *

*Do you see how inappropriate and derailing that remark is in this thread? Can you see why similar remarks of yours are cautioned when you post them in a thread where they are not wanted?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

For example "yore ma" would be the type of comment we actively remove from after hours threads and have done for years as a result of poster feedback. However many people assume that's still going on.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I know its now removed but thought for the purpose of this illustration it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I can see the point the OP is trying to make....in a way....

I do feel sometimes like AH and Humour are the only two places where you can crack a joke without being told "There's no place for that here" or "Take it to AH". There's the odd glimpse of a sense of humour here and there but a lot of the time I feel like I'm posting in two different modes. AH/Humour mode and Cagey, Watch What I Say mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Anytime I make any type of mildly humourous or controversial comment on any of the other fora I get the moderators jumping on me saying either "This isn't After Hours you know" or "Save that for After Hours son!".

For example a few months ago I complained on the politics forum that if the government slashed the dole by too much I was going to protest by going returning to work... Mods all over me.

Yesterday on an "Online Dating" thread a lady, Jenna69 no less, said she wished someone would bring her out for a few drinks and see where it led. One fella replied by saying (in all seriousness) that he couldn't stay out late but that they could go for afternoon coffee instead... In a moment of madness I suggested his reply was "totally gay". I got a few snarky comments on the thread (I exercised restraint by not replying "Maybe you are all homosexual"), was warned by one mod, told it wasn't AH and then was banned from the forum two hours later by another mod.

Hey OP, I'm the mod that banned you for the "thats so gay" post you made.
    Here's the post I made on thread, and the text of the message I sent you at the time.
    Ok chap, I don't think this forum is for you to be honest. Banned for the foreseeable, if you want to come back at some stage, drop me a pm and we can chat about it. Leave it a few months tho, I haven't the time or the inclination to be dealing with the whole "that's so gay" thing. It's probably hilarious in school, but it's just annoying here. OK?

So, I gave you a permanent ban, but that's not because I never want to see you posting in the GC again. I didn't ban you to punish you, I banned you so that we (the mods) didn't have to deal with the fallout of those type of posts.
    As I said above, I'm not here to explain to you why I'm not going to allow you to post that kind of.....post on a thread. It's a lesson you'll either learn, or you won't. If you care, that's grand, you'll apologise and the ban will be lifted. If you don't, that's grand too, and you can post anywhere the mods will let you. I don't have any grudge against you, I'm not angry with you, I'm just making sure that you don't post like that again.

Sam gave you a warning on thread, and that's fine too, but my thought process was "if we have to explain to this guy why that kind of post isn't acceptable, then either he's doing it deliberately to cause trouble, or he's just got a sense of humour that's going to lead to lots more inappropriate posts like this". So I decided to cut to the chase and let you do your maturing somewhere else on boards.

I notice you said the post was made "in a moment of madness" but I also notice you said "I exercised restraint by not replying "Maybe you are all homosexual"". That's the kind of statement that reassures me I made the right call.

Like I said, you're welcome back anytime if you're willing to suck it up and assure us that kind of behaviour won't be repeated. I'm not trying to humiliate you and I promise, it's not a power thing - I don't care either way. As long as the behaviour isn't repeated, I don't care what method achieves that.
    Totally up to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

From what I've seen on my time here it's always been ok to joke on any of the forums as long as that is not all your post consists off.
    You can craic a joke, often followed by ":pac:" then add your say to the conversation

Such threads make the best reading tbh, you can have a laugh and a decent discussion and maybe even learn something

AH is often the nest for these type threads as well btw, true there tends to be a lot of sh1te but some threads are highly entertaining and informative (usually when all the kids are busy doing exams ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

That said after hours gets a bad rep all over boards.

Loads of charters have "this is not after hours" etc in it. Mods often chant out the ole "this is not after hours" mantra.

Often its done for stuff which isn't allowed in after hours either but it's part of the moderatorial lexicon now innit.

R&R gets that too. It's not very respectful is it? Regardless of one's opinion on a forum, the least you can do is show a bit of class towards your fellow mod.

OP, I'd be one for banter as well, it's like walking a fine line though. You gotta get a feel for a forum and understand what's acceptable and what's not. To be honest, if I was on the receiving end of your "that's gay" comment I would have felt slightly antagonised.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    OP, I'd be one for banter as well, it's like walking a fine line though. You gotta get a feel for a forum and understand what's acceptable and what's not. To be honest, if I was on the receiving end of your "that's gay" comment I would have felt slightly antagonised.

Okay kidz, I'm going to break this down for you.

The comment: The comment was "That is totally gay". Note the "totally". It implies that there may a shade of sarcasm in the comment.

The context: Online dating sites are full of male perverts looking for sex from women. Full of them. Finally a woman comes along and says actually, she's not looking for long romantic walks by the beach or debates about whether Jane Austen or the Emily Bronte were the best authors of their era... she's actually hoping to go for a few drinks and get laid. She is effectively saying: "Are you up for it?"

The "victim": Clark Kent then comes along and says, without a hint of irony, that he can't stay up late but that he can go for afternoon coffee and scones.

Have I gone insane? Does no one else understand that that is a complete reversal of the male/ female role on an online dating site? That there could be no more appropriate a context into which to enter, "That is totally gay" for a few cheap laughs?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Has this only happened twice in all your time on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Okay kidz, I'm going to break this down for you.

The comment: The comment was "That is totally gay". Note the "totally". It implies that there may a shade of sarcasm in the comment.

The context: Online dating sites are full of male perverts looking for sex from women. Full of them. Finally a woman comes along and says actually, she's not looking for long romantic walks by the beach or debates about whether Jane Austen or the Emily Bronte were the best authors of their era... she's actually hoping to go for a few drinks and get laid. She is effectively saying: "Are you up for it?"

The "victim": Clark Kent then comes along and says, without a hint of irony, that he can't stay up late but that he can go for afternoon coffee and scones.

Have I gone insane? Does no one else understand that that is a complete reversal of the male/ female role on an online dating site? That there could be no more appropriate a context into which to enter, "That is totally gay" for a few cheap laughs?
    I don't get it.

Gordon wrote: »
    Has this only happened twice in all your time on boards?

No. A few times. But the other examples make me look really bad, so I've decided to leave them out.

• Advertisement

Jaysus dude, the ones you included don't exactly make you look like Oscar Wilde.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Can I just ask, from an entirely neutral standpoint I might add, is it often that a moderator decision is overruled by one particular mod? I just seems pretty strange that one mod in a forum can deal with the issue, and then it be upgraded by a mod of equal status (i.e. not a CMod, or group mod decision). Not getting at you in particular tbh, it really isn't something I've come across too often :)

Don't worry - I appreciate where you're coming from. It's not usual, no. I had missed sams warning post to the OP and if I'd seen it, I would have contacted Sam and Otis first. I think we've a good enough relationship that a: they knew where I was coming from and b: if either of them had objected, they would say it and I would of course had retracted. But was more of a case of me thinking I was first on the scene and wasn't meant to overrule Sam at all.

No. A few times. But the other examples make me look really bad, so I've decided to leave them out.
    Were they before the one that you commented on in the OP about the dole, which you posted in 2010, or after?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

tbh wrote: »
    Don't worry - I appreciate where you're coming from. It's not usual, no. I had missed sams warning post to the OP and if I'd seen it, I would have contacted Sam and Otis first. I think we've a good enough relationship that a: they knew where I was coming from and b: if either of them had objected, they would say it and I would of course had retracted. But was more of a case of me thinking I was first on the scene and wasn't meant to overrule Sam at all.

I had assumed that you mods had a discussion about it but the content of your message to the OP left me scratching my head. Thanks for the clarification

Were they before the one that you commented on in the OP about the dole, which you posted in 2010, or after?

I was being a bit sarcastic in my first answer to you. But yeah, the other one was after the dole post. I got a lot of abuse from the other thread members and the mods on it, but they left my posts up, which was surprising.

It was the dole post that really annoyed me, but as has been mentioned elsewhere, they are very heavy-handed there.

Where is this going?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I find the kind of remark paraphrased by the OP a bit irritating and I imagine that goes double for those that moderate AH. If you don't want a particular type of post in your forum, all well and good but why make a call about its suitability to another forum which you don't moderate? If a bouncer kept turning away drunks and telling them they'd get served in my pub I'd get pissed off fairly quickly.

I was being a bit sarcastic in my first answer to you. But yeah, the other one was after the dole post. I got a lot of abuse from the other thread members and the mods on it, but they left my posts up, which was surprising.

It was the dole post that really annoyed me, but as has been mentioned elsewhere, they are very heavy-handed there.

Where is this going?
    I'm trying to judge frequency of your experience. So that's one time it happened yesterday, and the only other time this happened was last year, so I'm not sure how two separate occurances in different years makes you 'sick of being told' something.

I'm trying to judge frequency of your experience. So that's one time it happened yesterday, and the only other time this happened was last year, so I'm not sure how two separate occurances in different years makes you 'sick of being told' something.

I don't post that often. I have done so a lot this week, but prior to that, very little. It's only been three times since November fair enough, but it's been everytime I've said anything mildly not in keeping with whatever way the mods want us to express ourselves.

As I said I thought the dole one was really heavy-handed and in fact out of line. I pursued it with his superiors (only because I thought he was being a little Hitler and that it was bad to have someone like that modding on boards) but they backed him to the hilt. And I was told "this is not AH".

Last night was an innocuous little comment and again... banned from the forum.

I probably deserved the slap on the face I eventually got on the other thread, my "fake tan" comments. Though I was well-intentioned to start out with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I can see the point the OP is trying to make....in a way....

I do feel sometimes like AH and Humour are the only two places where you can crack a joke without being told "There's no place for that here" or "Take it to AH".
    In addition to AH and Humour, there is also TCN. Plus the American Football forum allows banter in its charter and in practice. In addition to the occasional banter that occurs on most AF threads, there is also a specific banter thread that has been running for quite some time.

The USA & Canada Travel and United States forums allow a bit of humour, provided you don't go off-topic or abuse anyone. The point being made here is that there is not a nominal either/or divide for all forums on boards.ie regarding a bit of humour; i.e., some are relatively serious in content like Politics, whereas humour is a part of the game in American Football.

Advertisement