Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions on books for 11 year old on puberty

Options
  • 31-05-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Preferably for a girl. I've downloaded he HSE's Busy Body (which they aren't doing in school) and have a bunch of UK stuff but feel the UK stuff isn't great..

Any suggestions welcome; th little lady is a bit shy when it comes to these things, is almost 11 and is aware of how ehr body is changing but is now becoming more partial to playground conversations on sex etc. I'm open, and she feels comfortable asking me things which is great, but her Mum would like a book or something she can read, and come and ask questions..

Ta muchly :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

We have a lovely book in school called "made with Love", just the right amount of detail and child friendly.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Made-Love-How-Babies-are/dp/0333741862

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

"Have you started yet?" was the book I was given now that may have been a few years ago now;) but it is still relevant and looking on amazon there appears to be an updated version too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Moonbeam wrote: »
    "Have you started yet?" was the book I was given now that may have been a few years ago now;) but it is still relevant and looking on amazon there appears to be an updated version too.

I picked that up in oxfam a few months back would you believe! Read it myself to see if it would suit, and it's very good only for the really cheesy 80s pics on the front! Think I'll look for the updated one as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

My son is 12 and starting secondary school this year. Any suggestions on a book for him about purberty etc.

Im a lone parent and not really sure how to even start a conversation but if I could at least give him a book. Had a look on Amazon and there are quite a few but not sure which one is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Think i got my lady a book called whats happening to me, one for boys and one for girls. most of her class went out and got the same book for their girls and boys. she was 10 when whe got the book and had friends over and they all read it, i told thier parents and they got the same book for their kids, gives them the right ammount of info.

available in most books shops in ireland

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whats-Happening-Me-Facts-Life/dp/0746069952 girls

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whats-Happening-Me-Alex-Frith/dp/0746076630/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306932197&sr=1-1

boys

• Advertisement

Thanks!I ordered the 'Have you started yet' book, the 2010 version which has all the bits in it we need. I HATED when I got my period and felt embarrassed, ugly and used to try find out ways to 'stop' it and hated the fact I got pains. Really don't want her to feel any of that!!

I glanced at the What's Happening To Me book as well..looks good but maybe a little 'younger'..but good resource none the less.

Thanks, and more recommendations welcome all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭kaa

do the schools not give a sex ed video out or anything???

because my brother is 11 and is in 6th class and my mom sign a form so he could bring it home to watch....it was 80's and pushes more on been married. but it went threw different stages for boys and girls and explained babies. it was not too out there. my mom was happy with it becasue they did explain it very well and all that.

but maybe if ye check out books first in a book shop and see are they ok for your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

Many years ago, I got a book called 'Girl Talk' by Lucienne Pickering.

It's a great read and I still have it up to now. It's written in the form of a personal diary and explains a lot of body/ hormonal changes as well as why a young girl may feel angry, resentful of their parents, interested in babies, boys, etc...

There is a version for boys called 'Boy Talk' too.

apsalar wrote: »
    Many years ago, I got a book called 'Girl Talk' by Lucienne Pickering.

It's a great read and I still have it up to now. It's written in the form of a personal diary and explains a lot of body/ hormonal changes as well as why a young girl may feel angry, resentful of their parents, interested in babies, boys, etc...

There is a version for boys called 'Boy Talk' too.

I had that one!!

For different reasons I found it not so suitable for this little lady, but I am sure many a girl had it! I would love, love, love to write one, aimed at girls like my little sister..maybe some day!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Dovies wrote: »
    My son is 12 and starting secondary school this year. Any suggestions on a book for him about purberty etc.

Im a lone parent and not really sure how to even start a conversation but if I could at least give him a book. Had a look on Amazon and there are quite a few but not sure which one is the best.

http://www.crisispregnancy.ie/parentresource.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement