Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belmullet/North Mayo photowalk in July anyone?

• 31-05-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I've never really been on an organised photowalk so to speak, much less know what goes into organising one but here goes... if anyone's interested in a trip round the Mullet peninsula/North Mayo area, drop a comment below!

The mullet itself has a great selection of beaches, cliffs, bogs, Ballyglass lighthouse & pier, Blacksod lighthouse & pier, a derelict look-out station with views down onto Glosh beach, some great sculptures that are part of the North Mayo sculpture trail. Elsewhere in the area there's the cliffs at Carrateigue, the sprawling dunes at Kilgalligan that look across the bay to Glengad [where the infamous pipeline will eventually be coming into land] little secluded coves like Portacloy [our local and much, much smaller version of Achill's Keem]... yadda yadda - you get the idea - tis lovely and wild round here :)

If there's enough interest, I can see about organising a discount on accomodation in Belmullet in one of the hotels, and I'm on the road in from Westport/Ballina/Castlebar at Bangor Erris so people can drop off cars here, have a pit stop and go on sharing lifts or whatever... I have facilities to develop film too if anyone is inclined.

I was thinking of the weekend of July 23rd/24th, start early on Saturday and finish up late Sunday afternoon - just throwing it out there. What do people think? Anyone up for it? Would different dates suit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

I'm in (subject to availability). Good to show off my neck of the woods :D.

A trip to Inishkea might be doable too !

Well done you !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

god yeah - totally forgot to mention that - if people want, i can organise a boat to Inishkea leaving from Blacksod pier. That'd be a half-day jobbie, 3 or 4 hours at least but easily do-able on the Sunday.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Any excuse for a weekend away :) Myself and MissusP&B would be up for it. Why not post it up on photowalk.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

There's a chance I could be over that side of the country around that time so might be able to make it.

excellent stuff!

and I'll post it up on photowalk.ie too, cheers Denis.

• Advertisement

artyeva wrote: »
    excellent stuff!

and I'll post it up on photowalk.ie too, cheers Denis.

Clear your mailbox - PM won't go through to you.

whoops - done now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Sounds good! I'll check my rota this afternoon and see how I'm fixed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am very interested!
    If there was a drive by of some small local cheesemaker or similar business, I'd appreciated that.
    On the other hand, they don't speak English there, I got lost there every time I got there :D

ThOnda wrote: »
    On the other hand, they don't speak English there, I got lost there every time I got there :D

That's why we have places like Mayo, just so we can lose you.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

High time that I treat myself to a weekend away again - and that one was still available - until I put this walk into my diary :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Ooo this sounds good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

me! me! me!

lads, i was away for a bit there sorry bout that. anyway we're thunderbirds are go! for the 23rd/24th.

As there's a good few different places we can head to, we have choices....

[a] start 11am Saturday, and finish up with some food in town around 6pm, call it a day and people can head home

or do above on Saturday with a boat trip to Inishkea Island on Sunday (cost pp approx €40 depending on numbers) The return trip would be around 3 1/2 hours, finishing around 2pm

or [c] do the above on Saturday but finish a bit earlier and do a shorter boat trip round Ballyglass of approx 2 hrs with views of the lighthouse/cliffs/stacks (€25-30 pp approx) and THEN call it a day and people can head home around 8 or 9pm

i'm easy.

I am very interested!
    If there was a drive by of some small local cheesemaker or similar business, I'd appreciated that.
    On the other hand, they don't speak English there, I got lost there every time I got there biggrin.gif

lol - in my almost three years here i've only ever met one guy who spoke irish - i think they were having you on ;) I've been investigating every avenue I could think of - and i'm afraid there aren't any cheesemakers or anything similar round here [unless you want to watch me make curd cheese in my kitchen?:p]. there's one local encyclopedia i have yet to ask, but this isn't really... well... it's not as ''crafty'' as west kerry or west cork i'm afraid... :o

accomodation in belmullet for those wishing to stay over:

the broadhaven - if you want to book here there's a 99% chance of there being a wedding on the saturday. half a mile outside the town. food not great, yer average country hotel really but they have a nice swimming pool.

the talbot - recently done up, lovely seafood served in the bar - but be aware the nightclub will be loud.

the western strand - on the main street - cheap - but may not be much availability as there's usually a lot of gardai staying there.

bayview b+b - half a mile outside the town - never been myself but have heard good reviews of it.

whatever we decide later, we'll aim to meet in the carpark of the Broadhaven Hotel in Belmullet on 11am on Saturday the 23rd. There'll be a fair bit of driving in between placesbut we can share lifts.

having never organised anything like this before - am i doing it right ??:):confused:

You're doing very well orgnaising this - with even suggesting and recommending accomodation.

As for the alternatives: As I (and probably most) have a bit to travel I plan to spend the weekend there so would be up spread the walk over two days ()

And those who want / have to go back home on Saturday it is still a full photowalk - ok without boadtrip of any sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

I have to thank Xia for the headsup. Arty you can count me in for the Saturday. Thank you for organising this. Looking forward to another great day out :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Sounds like this could be great opportunity for anyone partaking in the 24/7 magazine project this year. It might be all the more appropriate to run the 24 hours then from 12mid day on 23rd until 12 midday on the 24th which might allow for Saturday shooting and some early morning Sunday shooting for people on the 24th.

Not looking good for accommodation in Belmullet.
    Broadhaven booked out as is the Western Strand.
    The Talbot Hotel is still living in the Celtic Tiger era with their prices - €150 for one night! :eek: - No wonder they have vacancies.
    Don't really fancy a B&B in the middle of nowhere.....

oh no Denis - really? i hadn't realised the talbot was so high, their new site hadn't gone live when i posted earlier. yeah, they've done a complete overhaul recently - it looks amazing but you can't sleep on looks i spose!

let me ring around and find somewhere in the town and i'll report back here. was the b&b i suggested above booked too?

was the b&b i suggested above booked too?

Didn't try it but I don't really fancy a B&B in the middle of nowhere - especially if anyone is hanging around for a few pints afterwards.

• Advertisement

well the place i suggested above isn't really in the middle of nowhere - it's still in the town - just the other side of it to the pubs, if that makes sense. there's a few b+b's on the road into the town around the hotel, i'll see if I can get a few recommendations, and myself and mr artyeva were planning on providing a taxi service for ye all anyway in case ye were staying out in the broadhaven - if that helps? ye won't be stuck!!

ok, i contacted the talbot, and the deal they're offering is the following:
    - €65 PP sharing including breakfast for a double room with a king sized bed
    - €75 single rate - own room with king sized bed
    - they say all rooms have seperate bath and shower, flat screen TVs and espresso makers
    - just give them a ring, ask for Mary or Cora, and mention that you were dealing with me [Gillian]. They'll leave the offer open till Friday pm.

there's also the following b+b's in the town - drum caoin and chez nous

let me know if these don't suit and i can see what else i can do. how many people are planning on staying over? i could see if i could find a holiday rental that might allow a one night stay?

i'd offer our garden for ye all to pitch tents but we live on bog ;):p

ok, i contacted the talbot, and the deal they're offering is the following:
    - €65 PP sharing including breakfast for a double room with a king sized bed
    - €75 single rate - own room with king sized bed
    - they say all rooms have seperate bath and shower, flat screen TVs and espresso makers
    - just give them a ring, ask for Mary or Cora, and mention that you were dealing with me [Gillian]. They'll leave the offer open till Friday pm.

Thanks for that Gillian but not a flipping hope in hell of me giving any hotel €130 for the night - especially a country hotel. I don't care how big the bed is, they're all the same size when you're on your back :D

Last photowalk in Belfast we got two nights B&B + evening meal for £78 total (for both of us) and that was a city hotel.

there's also the following b+b's in the town - drum caoin and chez nous

let me know if these don't suit and i can see what else i can do. how many people are planning on staying over? i could see if i could find a holiday rental that might allow a one night stay?

i'd offer our garden for ye all to pitch tents but we live on bog ;):p

I'll try the B&B - according to the google map on their site they're on a cross roads in the middle of nowhere.....

oh, look, i know exactly, it is expensive, but at least they were willing to haggle a bit - a lot of places wouldn't bother.

it's a small town - a big village really - so everything isn't as tightly packed as you might hope - and you'll always get better deals in a city where there's more competition. but as i also said - either myself or himself* will act as a taxi service if there's pints involved :D

*and by that i mean himself - i plan on having a dwink or two ;)

Got sorted - booked Chez Nous for the two of us - €70 B&B. Looking forward to it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭picaaf

Is anybody driving back east (N4) on Saturdayevening/Saturdaynight?

i think Buzz Lightyear might be just coming down for the saturday?

thought that myself. will give phil a buzz then :D or send him text. thanks a mil!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 meenaghans

There is an agricultural show on in carne air strip on the 24th july as well it is only a few miles from belmullet town there should be plenty of photo oppurtunities there. i think it 10 euro admission though

• Advertisement

that's right, there is, yeah. i have the boat trip to inishkea provisionally booked though - arriving back around 2pm.

i've organised the logistics of a cooler and a basic sandwich/fruit/tea/coffee picnic lunch that would work out about €3 or €4 p/p that we can take with us 'en bateau'. at this stage how many would be able to say they'd almost definitely be postively sure they'd be up for inishkea? the cost of the boat depends on numbers - though he's sound enough.

Whatever! Myself and MissuP&B are up for anything (within reason) :D

:eek:

one thing not fully clear to me: boattrip on Sat or on Sun?

oh - whoops - that's my fault - basically we're aiming for scenario above.

beaches, lighthouses, bogs, cliffs and back to the town for a bit of grub on saturday, inishkea island on sunday.

Yay! :) Just booked Chez Nous for Saturday night - very lovely woman on the phone there - if I make it in time in the morning I can even drop my bags in already. Take it that goes for Mr. & Mrs. Pullandbang too ;)
    Looking really forward to weekend now and am up for the boat trip on Sunday too - brilliant idea with even picnic.

@Artyeva: From what I can see you're definitely an approved photowalk leader now :cool:

• Advertisement

Aehmmm...just had another look through the thread...where do we actually meet on Saturday at 11am?
    And your place, Artyeva, or somewhere in Belmullet?

well i originally suggested the car park at the back of the broadhaven bay. it's on the left as you come to the outskirts of belmullet. if you follow the driveway up and round to the left, there's a massive carpark, free and safe - we could meet, do a quick headcount, decide on a timeframe, and head off from there?

I'll PM my phone number to everyone who's replied to this thread so ye can contact me for directions or whatever and as i said before - anyone coming from the dublin direction, i personally would come down the N4 as far as longford, then termonbarry > strokestown > frenchpark > ballaghadereen > swinford > foxford > ballina > crossmolina > bangor > belmullet. from blachardstown shopping centre to bangor is 3.5 hours exactly, another 10-15 minutes to belmullet :)

anyone coming from the dublin direction, i personally would come down the N4 as far as longford, then termonbarry > strokestown > frenchpark > ballaghadereen > swinford > foxford > ballina > crossmolina > bangor > belmullet

\o/
    from Longford N5;
    from Swinford N26;
    from Ballina N59;
    from Bangor R313;
    ⎌..........this took the rusty trusty LaRoDef 3hrs just a week ago.............⎌

Boo! Unannounced (until just now) visitors spoiling my photowalking fun #cross

dakar wrote: »
    Boo! Unannounced (until just now) visitors spoiling my photowalking fun #cross

boo. down with unannounced [until just now] visitors!

• Advertisement

boo. down with unannounced [until just now] visitors!

Indeed, rules out Saturday (and lovely pints) although the aforementioned option B might still be a runner, what time are you looking at setting sail?

Jaysus, just looked at the map to see where we're going and it's a long way over! Next stop New York!

That calls for strategic planning so hotel booked in Ballina for Friday night :)
    Break the journey and all that.......

ballina is only 40 minutes away, it's probably not worth yer while stopping there!

still waiting for the final word from the skipper, but i was hoping around 11am? it would be from either Ballyglass or Blacksod Pier most probably. these things can be tide and weather dependant. apparantly. i don't want it to sound like i know more about boats than i actually do :pac:

@dakar: Boo indeed! (even though I'm assuming they're otherwise lovely visitors...) hope you can make it at some stage and join us - would be nice for a change that we visit your part of Ireland.

@Mr. & Mrs. Pullandbang: I'll drive halfway up to Belmullet on Friday so see you all Saturday morning at 11am :)

ballina is only 40 minutes away, it's probably not worth yer while stopping there!

Ah we'll do a few places on the way over on Friday and finish up in Ballina. I want to watch the guys salmon fishing. See you on Saturday morning.

.....on the way over on Friday and finish up in Ballina. I want to watch the guys salmon fishing.

mind your time when there :p, we spent hours sitting and watching the salmon being caught and forgot an appointment we had :o

i've had a few PMs about the cost of the boat trip on sunday, so sorry this so late but i'm just in the door home now. I spoke to the skipper today and the cost of the boat is €400 - so obviously the more that go the less it'll be per person. He's checking the swells tomorrow morning and calling me back so I might try and see if I can get a few quid off ;)

he suggests leaving at 10am, as it's an hour and half to get there, give or take. but he's sound in that if there's spots along the way we want to photograph he'll cut the engine and let us fire away. and it'll be leaving from Ballyglass pier. i realise that's early, we can leave it later if we wish, he's flexible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

I hate to pull out - but something has come up. I wouldn't mind but I was really looking forward to seeing that part of the sticks. Hopefully there's always next time.

BTW - thanks for organising this Gillian. I hope you all have a great weekend

@Picaf - I'm just seeing your note & PM now. I'll give you a buzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am driving for one day on Saturday early in the morning. And was thinking about making detour to Downpatrick Head from Ballina.
    Would anybody want to join me, even those who are staying in Ballina over night?

I am driving for one day on Saturday early in the morning. And was thinking about making detour to Downpatrick Head from Ballina.
    Would anybody want to join me, even those who are staying in Ballina over night?

Won't join you for Downpatrick Head, but would recommend it to everybody! Pity there wouldn't be time to go to Ceide Fields visitor centre. Steve C (360dpi) did mighty job there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement