Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Encrypting a USB key for use on a computer where I don't have admin access

• 31-05-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭

Quick question - I have some sensitive data that I'm using for a Master's dissertation. I have it on a usb key and want to encrypt it in case it was to get lost. The thing is I need to work on the data at home on my own laptop and also in University on the computers there, where I don't have administrator privileges. I tried using TrueCrypt which works fine for just encrypting it, but this renders it unusable in University as I can't run TrueCrypt there (I even tried putting TrueCrypt on another USB key and running it from there).

Are there any packages out there that will allow me to encrypt the data in such a way that I don't need to run a program needing admin privileges to access the data in University?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Assuming that its just because you want the sensitive data safe even if the USB key is lost, how about you create a ZIP or RAR archive with a password, with your data file(s) inside ?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You could try something like these or these

I'm not 100% sure whether they need admin access or not, but it's a starting point.

I'd recommend the earlier poster's suggestion, and password protect the documents individually using the save as options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Assuming that its just because you want the sensitive data safe even if the USB key is lost, how about you create a ZIP or RAR archive with a password, with your data file(s) inside ?

This sounds like a useful solution. The only thing is I'll be working on the dataset, editing and adding fields and cases. Does that mean I would have to, for example, work on them at home, zip them, move to the usb, unzip them in college, make the edits and save them, zip them again and move the new archive back onto the usb key? It's a level of hassle I can probably live with, just wanted to check if that's the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

If it's TrueCrypted with a decent password then it's pretty safe.

abelard wrote: »
    This sounds like a useful solution. The only thing is I'll be working on the dataset, editing and adding fields and cases. Does that mean I would have to, for example, work on them at home, zip them, move to the usb, unzip them in college, make the edits and save them, zip them again and move the new archive back onto the usb key? It's a level of hassle I can probably live with, just wanted to check if that's the process.

Yes. Most archivers support drag-n-drop file addition, so extract to local drive, or to the USB if you don't want to leave the unencrypted file lying around, do your edits and drag back to the archive.
    If it's TrueCrypted with a decent password then it's pretty safe.

OP can't use TrueCrypt at college.

• Advertisement

Yes. Most archivers support drag-n-drop file addition, so extract to local drive, or to the USB if you don't want to leave the unencrypted file lying around, do your edits and drag back to the archive

I see, cheers. I assume I can just use WinRar to accomplish this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

If you know anyone with windows 7 ultimate you can get it password encrypted with bit locker or something like that, its part of win7 ultimate, it should be openable on any windows computer xp or later once you have the password.

If you used WinRar youd need to be able to install software in college to un rar it wouldn't you?

Indeed. If you do extract to the USB key, and want to be safer, copy some junk file thats bigger to the extracted one after you have dragged it back to the archive, to overwrite it.

There may be a portable version of Winrar ?, in case the college machine doesn't have it, but then it may not support d-n-d, but it should work if you have the archive open in a Winrar window.

Indeed. If you do extract to the USB key, and want to be safer, copy some junk file thats bigger to the extracted one after you have dragged it back to the archive, to overwrite it.

There may be a portable version of Winrar ?, in case the college machine doesn't have it, but then it may not support d-n-d, but it should work if you have the archive open in a Winrar window.

If I make it a .zip instead of a .rar, would it still work if the college computers have some other program? I know they have one as I've used them to unzip stuff before but I can't remember which program it is....

edit: a memory stirs within that it might be 7zip, but I'm really not sure...

• Advertisement

If I make it a .zip instead of a .rar, would it still work if the college computers have some other program? I know they have one as I've used them to unzip stuff before but I can't remember which program it is....

edit: a memory stirs within that it might be 7zip, but I'm really not sure...

AFAIK a .zip file is basic windows stuff any windows pc can open it

GarIT wrote: »
    AFAIK a .zip file is basic windows stuff any windows pc can open it

Oh aye, yeah, that I understand alright. I should have clarified, I wanted to know if it will have drag-n-drop functionality so I can unzip the data, work on it, and drop it back into the password-protected archive

Oh aye, yeah, that I understand alright. I should have clarified, I wanted to know if it will have drag-n-drop functionality so I can unzip the data, work on it, and drop it back into the password-protected archive

A zip file on its own doesn't, if its opened by something other then windows id say its fairly possible though, I don't know though

Advertisement