Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Poetry

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ohdechertig

You're in luck! I have notes for "The Lake Isle of Innisfree," "Base Details" and "The Thinness of Ice" :) I think my teacher's notes are really good, too. This is good revision for me, also. :)

Base Details
    Poet: Siegfried Sassoon
    Topic: War
    Theme: The main theme of this poem is the deep anger left by the poet at the behavior of the majors and generals during World War I.

Subject Matter:
    Siegfried Sassoon was a soldier who fought in World War I. he witnessed the horrendous slaughter of thousands of young solider on the battlefield. much of this killing was totally senseless and was a result of poor planning and incorrect strategies employed by the majors. This angered the poet so much that he was driven to write this angry poem.
    He imagines himself being a major and sarcastically suggests that he would be:
    "Fierce, bald and short of breath,"
    And he would send young soldiers, or "glum heroes," to their deaths, while remaining far from the battlefield himself.
    "Guzzling and gulping in the best hotels."
    He imagines himself reading a book containing the names of the dead soldiers and pretending to express some sympathy. "Poor young chap,"
    When the war is over the major would die, not heroically on the battlefield, but home in bed.

Language and style:
    This poem is a satire, in which Sassoon bitterly attacks the majors and those in charge of military matters who send thousands of young soldiers to their deaths in the name of patriotism. Sassoon uses many features of style in constructing this poem. There is a regular rhyming scheme used with line 1 rhyming with line 3, line 2 with line 4, etc. Each line is made of ten syllables each and the last two lines rhyme. (This is a rhyming couplet.)
    It is a very descriptive poem with Sassoon making use of effecting adjectives. For example, the Majors are described as "scarlet," while their faces are said to be "Puffy and petulant." Some of the verbs he chooses are also interesting. He writes about the majors " Guzzling and gulping." Here onomatopoeia is used to add to the effectiveness of the image. Onomatopoeia is also found on the last line of the poem when we are told that the Majors "toddle" home. Excellent examples of alliteration are found in lines 4+5.
    "Puffy, petulant face," and
    "Guzzling and gulping," which is also an example of assonance.
    Sassoon uses a paradox in line 3 when the soldiers are described as "Glum heroes." He also employs understatement when he gets the majors to describe this bloody battle as a "scrap."
    An ironic tone is found throughout as Sassoon excels is giving us brilliant images of the Majors living in safety while the unfortunate soldiers are lead to their deaths.

The Thinness of Ice.
    Poet: Liz Loxley
    Topic: Relationships.
    Theme: The main theme of this poem is the exploration of the various stages of a relationship between two people.

Subject Matter:
    Though at first it appears that this poem is about ice skating, a more metaphorical reading of it would suggest that it is instead about a relationship that ends unsuccessfully.
    The early part of the poem has the two people meeting as friends and hoping that their friendship will develop into something more.
    By the middle of the poem, it is clear that this has happened, but it now appears that they have started taking one another for granted and no longer put the same effort in to their relationship. As the poet suggests, "Creeping cracks," have appeared.
    By the conclusion of the poem, the relation ship has ended. The hurt is obvious through the use of words like "enemies," and "jealous." The final stanza suggests that the lessons have been learned, experience gained and the hope that at the very least ,they can once again be friends.

Language and Style:
    The poem is divided into six stanzas. Two stanzas are devoted to each of the three stages of the relationship explored.
    The most obvious feature of this poem is the use of the metaphor of the two ice skaters for the two people in the relationship.
    This extends throughout the entire poem. The title of the poem "The Thinness of Ice," refers to how fragile a relationship can be. The second verse containing the simile "We'll be like skaters," sets in the motion the comparison. Phrases like "The triple jumps and spins," suggest efforts to impress, "while the steady thaw and the creeping cracks," imply that the relations1hip is breaking up. The sad conclusion is suggested by the phrase "Missing out on a medal." While efforts to become friends again is suggested by "To break the ice between us."

The Lake Isle of Innisfree.
    Poet: W.B. Yeats
    Topic: Nature
    Theme: The main theme of this poem is the poets longing to return to the beautiful isle of Innisfree and to live in harmony with nature.

Subject Matter:
    At the time, Yeats was living in London. He was tired of the hustle and bustle of city life and longed to return to Sligo where he could live close to nature. In the opening line of the poem he sets out his intention to return.
    He envisages clearing some tress and building a hut from traditional sources. "Clay and wattles made,"
    He intends to be self-sufficient, "Nine bean rows I will have there, a hive for the honey bee."
    He looks forward to the peace he will experience there, in sharp contrast to the noise of London. He describes the sights, sounds and colors which he will experience. In the final verse, he repeats his determination to return to Innisfree. In his mind, he thinks he can hear the lake watter "lapping on the shore." It is a part of him. "I hear it in the deep heart's core." He must return to experience this in reality.

Language and Style:
    The poem is made up of three four line verses with line one rhyming with line three and line two with line four. It is very rich in sound. Along with rhyme, there are numerous examples of alliteration.
    "A hive for the honey bee"
    Assonance is also present. "Clay and wattles made."
    An excellent example of consonance is found in lines seven and eight with repetition of the "L" sound, in words such as "all," "glimmer," "purple," "glow," "full," and "linnets."
    Onomatopoeia is found on the final verse with reference to the "water lapping," on the shore.
    Yeats creates some beautiful images in this poem. One excellent example is to be found in the second verse. " There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow." You can practically picture the reflection of the moon on the water at midnight, hence the word glimmer, while the purple glow possibly refers to the sun shining through the wild purple heather, which grows on the island. Imagery is not confined to just the visual. There are a number of images which appeal to the sense of sound. Examples include
    "The bee loud glade," and "The lake water lapping,"

There you go! Unfortunately I don't have any notes regarding the other poem, but I hope those notes benefited you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

You do know we all have our English papers on the same day, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JjMm

Yeah I know but I thought people might think I'm only doing summer tests or that I was doing it today as today is Wednesday !

• Registered Users Posts: 26 OsamaObama321

Im doin rainbow by john agard its in de exam papers in 2001 and its really simple jus talk about God and how he tells a story in a few lines an ur sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Im doin rainbow by john agard its in de exam papers in 2001 and its really simple jus talk about God and how he tells a story in a few lines an ur sorted

That's impossible! It's so stupid. We had that for homework and I just looked and it, laughed, and closed my book. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 OsamaObama321

Desire. wrote: »
    That's impossible! It's so stupid. We had that for homework and I just looked and it, laughed, and closed my book. :pac:

Its simple all yu hav to do is Bull**** everythin its wat got me an A in mi mocks......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Its simple all yu hav to do is Bull**** everythin its wat got me an A in mi mocks......

Heh.

Advertisement