Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone recommend a good korma sauce

Options
  • 31-05-2011 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good, creamy korma sauce that I can get ready-made from the supermarket.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I love the Dunnes Stores one, I think it's 1.09 or something that's the one I mainly buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lemamurphy

Sherwoods or Sharwoods is really good, but the secret is to buy a seperate tin of coconut milk and add that in with the sauce then put it in an oven proof dish and let it "stew" for bout half an hour! The chicken gets so tender and full of flavour! So much creamy sauce also! Ooooo i want some now! Bon appetite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Oh, thanks so much. :)

I am intrigued with the extra coconut milk.... would that not make it too runny? Do I just cook it all up (am thinking just chicken, red pepper and onion) add the sauce and then add the extra coconut milk and whack it in the oven?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Patak's is lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lemamurphy

Oh, thanks so much. :)

I am intrigued with the extra coconut milk.... would that not make it too runny? Do I just cook it all up (am thinking just chicken, red pepper and onion) add the sauce and then add the extra coconut milk and whack it in the oven?

Well what i would do is chop 2 cloves of garlic really finely and dice half an onion small. Put them in a bowl with juice of half a lime, 2 tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of soya sauce. Cut up the chicken and add it in, give it a stir to combine and cover it for about half an hour in the fridge. Chop your peppers and rest of the onions. i normally just put onions in, you could do peppers on the side for some veg. but obviously that is completely a personal thing.

Fry off the chicken add in the onions once browned. Then add in the sauce. Let it all come together and add as much coconut milk as needed to make it nice and creamy. You should do naan bread then all that yummy sauce is not gone to waste. It shouldnt make it too runny, i just love lots of sauce anyway! It generally thickens a little anyway once you put it in the oven, but i guess just feel it out yourself! its one of my favs! I hope you enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

You can get Bombay Pantry sauces in some supermarkets. It's really very fantastic. M&S are always great for sauces too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Pataks is awesome. Also, I recommend you look out for Pataks Korma Paste. Its a smaller Jar, but you will get about 4 dinners out of it. Maybe more, if you ration it out. Also, I add coconut milk to it instead of cream for anyone who cant have milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

Hi there

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good, creamy korma sauce that I can get ready-made from the supermarket.

Thanks in advance.

chop onion, some spring onions, 2 cloves of garlic, some root ginger and to a pan
    mix in 3 heaped teaspoons of mild curry powder, and fry for a couple of mins,
    add your meat and fry for few mins until almost cooked
    add 1 tin of coconut milk , bring to boil then turn heat down to a simmer

add a chopped red chill (2 if you like a bit more heat), and a red pepper
    simmer for about 20mins , if still sorta runny , mix in a t-spoon of corn flour.
    Sprinkle on some Coriander leaves
    and serve with basmati rice

no need to buy the Jarred sauce
    Homemade it best

What lovely people you are - I should come here more often :D

Do you think it would be OK to put in a sprinkle of red chilli powder? Am definitely going to add the extra coconut milk and pop in the oven!!!

I have naan bread an d mango chutney so will dish that up on the side.

Any tips of the basmati rice appreciated as mine always ends up wither gluggy or undercooked...

Sorry for all the questions. A friend is coming to visit tomorrow and she is such a good friend - and always cooks wonderful meals for me when I stay with her - I want to make the dinner delicious.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Lidl's own brand curry sauces ("Jaipur Garden" I think) are excellent, if the Balti/ Jhalfrezi/ Madras/ Rogan Josh are anything to go by, I would imagine the Korma is lovely too (I like medium spicy - hot so haven't tried the Korma myself) . I can't praise them enough, and the price is only about 80c a jar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

I like the Tesco brand one in the plastic container,tastes like my local indian places one,maybe they are using it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Another Vote for Pataks I think it's the best. Sometimes fry the chicken first in one of their spicier pastes and then add the korma jar to make it more interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

OP, you have to try Meena's Korma sauce, it is the absolute nicest one I've ever had. It beats Pataks, Bombay Pantry, etc, in my opinion.

OP, you have to try Meena's Korma sauce, it is the absolute nicest one I've ever had. It beats Pataks, Bombay Pantry, etc, in my opinion.

Unfortunately there is no Tesco near me.

Well, I used a sauce from Lidl in the end and it was absolutely gorgeous (and 80c a jar!!!) I added in extra cocunut milk and my friend loved it.

Managed to get the rice perfect for once as well. Happy days. :)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Advertisement