Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geoecology

• 31-05-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Are these 4 essays enough for the geoecology section or should I try learn another 2 before the exam? :confused:

I have How natural processes influence soil formation, how plant and animals have adapted to a biome, how human activities affect soil and how human activities affect a biome.

Any input is appreciated! Thanks :D:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

im not a geoecologist, but i'll have a look...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

I've been told to learn at least 3, I'm learning 2 - characteristics of a biome and human interaction. Hope to god thats enough.. :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭squishness

I've only ever written one essay for this section. :confused: Don't know how I managed that over the past two years but eh...

"How do plants and animals adapt to a biome?"

The human ones are a good choice. You might want to learn a specific soil as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭unknowntoown

that is enough
    trust me for the past few years outta 4 of those questions at least 1 has came up
    try to learn a specific soil type as well just to be on the safe side but i personal think those 4 learnt off will do you justice on the day :) its the 4 im learning as well ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

Are these 4 essays enough for the geoecology section or should I try learn another 2 before the exam? :confused:

I have How natural processes influence soil formation, how plant and animals have adapted to a biome, how human activities affect soil and how human activities affect a biome.

Any input is appreciated! Thanks :D:p

I don't think the soil human interaction will come up myself. Its come up the past 2 years so i doubt it ll come up 3 in a row

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 He looks like that fella Harvey Keitel

Question: The Marking Scheme specifically says 3/4 "Aspects" must be discussed in every answer, how does this work when the question specifically asks for 2 things?:confused:

Like say for the Plant & Animal Adaptation question. Plants are one aspect, animals another, what's the third?

Also for the Soil Formation question: I have comprehensive bits on Climate & Relief, what can I use as my third aspect?

Cheers guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

Question: The Marking Scheme specifically says 3/4 "Aspects" must be discussed in every answer, how does this work when the question specifically asks for 2 things?:confused:

Like say for the Plant & Animal Adaptation question. Plants are one aspect, animals another, what's the third?

Also for the Soil Formation question: I have comprehensive bits on Climate & Relief, what can I use as my third aspect?

For plant & animal adaptations, how plants adapt to climate, how animals adapt to climate, how plants adapt to soil & how animals adapt to soil are all separate aspects, also you don't have to look at climate & soil in equal detail.

ChloeElla wrote: »
    For plant & animal adaptations, how plants adapt to climate, how animals adapt to climate, how plants adapt to soil & how animals adapt to soil are all separate aspects, also you don't have to look at climate & soil in equal detail.

how DO animals adapt to soil???
    Is it just that bad soil=lack of vegetation=no food or am i missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

MikeHough wrote: »
    how DO animals adapt to soil???
    Is it just that bad soil=lack of vegetation=no food or am i missing something?

Well I have a teensy bit, on animals that burrow, and how the soil affects this, but nowhere near enough for a full paragraph. I'm going to try work out a bit more about it this weekend, and if that fails, I'll just write about 1) Climate & Animals, 2) Climate & Plants, 3) Soil & Plants. You have to write about three aspects, minimum, and although the question mention both climate & soil, you can have two paragraphs on climate, and one on soil. So hopefully you can write enough on those three to get a high mark! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

If Biome doesn't come up... TV3 and RTE will be reporting on Friday evening how one LC Geography student ran sobbing from her exam hall and went missing for the rest of her exams.

I really, really, do not have time to go over soil. It's Biome or nothing... They'd want to have been really cruel when making the paper to exclude it when they know so many are banking on it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

My teacher corrects every year and he said that they expect you to write 3/4 aspects, even though it says 2 in the question.
    He's told us to write 3/4 aspects no matter how many the question says to write.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

If Biome doesn't come up... TV3 and RTE will be reporting on Friday evening how one LC Geography student ran sobbing from her exam hall and went missing for the rest of her exams.

I really, really, do not have time to go over soil. It's Biome or nothing... They'd want to have been really cruel when making the paper to exclude it when they know so many are banking on it...

1 question on biome and 1 question on soils come up every year.

There would be uproar if one of them didn't come up!

irish_man wrote: »
    1 question on biome and 1 question on soils come up every year.

There would be uproar if one of them didn't come up!

There would indeed... it's just that there's no concrete rule that says that's what has to come up. I think I'd die a little inside....

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

There would indeed... it's just that there's no concrete rule that says that's what has to come up. I think I'd die a little inside....

Don't worry. I'd put money on at least one biome question coming up.

irish_man wrote: »
    Don't worry. I'd put money on at least one biome question coming up.

Coming after you with a flaming torch & pitchfork if it doesn't :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 RedBlueRedBlue

ChloeElla wrote: »
    Well I have a teensy bit, on animals that burrow, and how the soil affects this, but nowhere near enough for a full paragraph. I'm going to try work out a bit more about it this weekend, and if that fails, I'll just write about 1) Climate & Animals, 2) Climate & Plants, 3) Soil & Plants. You have to write about three aspects, minimum, and although the question mention both climate & soil, you can have two paragraphs on climate, and one on soil. So hopefully you can write enough on those three to get a high mark! :)

Could you make your aspects:

*leaves (plants)
    *Trunks/roots (plants)
    *Camouflage/colour (animals)
    *Body shape (animals)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Hey random question, but do you know for the question "How man alters a biome", could you write about Overcropping and Overgrazing of the land and how this leads to Desertification?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

If biome doesnt come up im going to shoot myself in the face..no time for soils!!

Hey random question, but do you know for the question "How man alters a biome", could you write about Overcropping and Overgrazing of the land and how this leads to Desertification?

No i doubt it. Thats what you write about for human interaction with soil.

Advertisement