Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend books on advertising/marketing/propaganda/crowd pyschology

Options
  • 31-05-2011 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

I've been interested in these subjects for quite a while now, especially since they increasingly seem to intrude upon our daily lives; there is no getting away from it - so why not educate ourselves more on workings of it all?

I'm mainly looking for non-fiction books, but fiction is acceptable too, as long as it deals with any side of these subjects. Theory/speculation and practical welcome!

Some examples that I have read, (looking for similar things or just good suggestions):

The Copywriter's Handbook - Robert Bly

The New Rules of Marketing and PR - David Meerman Scott

The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli

Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds - Charles Mackay

The Art of War - Sun Tzu

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

It's acutally a book about Mentalism but I can really recommend "Mischief" by Martin Nyrup and Ian Harling.
    It teaches you a lot about how people perceive things and how you can use that knowledge to your advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hookah

I love this subject. Here's a few of my favourites.

'The Tipping Point' by Malcolm Gladwell

'Freakonomics' by Stephen Levitt

'Irationally Predictable' by Dan Ariely

'The Manipulators' by Jeffrey Robinson

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭greenasgrass

I can reccomend "Basic Instincts" by Pete Lunn (he of the ESRI)

Looks at all of these kind of things and very readable.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

Thank you for all the recommendations so far!I'm am going to check them out at Amazon.

"Basic Instincts" by Pete Lunn looks very good btw as do some others. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

The Waste Makers by Vance Packard.
    Talks about planned obsolescence and other new concepts of the time - 60's. He's written lots more if you are interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Seth Godin is quite the guru.

Advertisement