Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not suitable for home Freezing?

Options
  • 31-05-2011 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

I just went to the freezer to get some chicken for a Carbonara, found a packet of Italian style cooked chicken and defrosted it. I was just about to add it to the sauce when I noticed in small writing "Not suitable for Home Freezing" as it was for the OH I told her this and did it bother her, It did. It wouldn't bother me so what do you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm more bothered by the idea of you putting chicken in a carbonara dish... :eek:

I'm not sure why it wouldn't be suitable. It may just be because the manufacturers are concerned that the texture will be affected. But it's possibly also to do with previous freezing/defrosting/cooking procedures. Others may know better than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Faith wrote: »
    I'm more bothered by the idea of you putting chicken in a carbonara dish... :eek:

I'm not sure why it wouldn't be suitable. It may just be because the manufacturers are concerned that the texture will be affected. But it's possibly also to do with previous freezing/defrosting/cooking procedures. Others may know better than me.

Thank's, I know, but wasn't for me, I'd stick with Pancetta or smoked bacon but healthy options and all that.
    My thinking is, you buy some mince beef and freeze it , then take it out defrost and make Lasagne, lot's left over so you freeze it. Week later take it out and defrost and eat it. Is there a problem? I have done that sort of thing many times and was never sick, the food would need a bit of extra dressing up, more sauce etc but would be fine IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

I'm with the OH on this!

From wiki
    "Refreezing meat isn't a good idea. But if you must, the meat should not have been old the first time it was frozen, it should have been thawed under refrigeration and then frozen again shortly after being thawed. Realize that the quality of the meat will be negatively affected. The flavor will likely degrade and the meat will be drier and tougher when cooked.

It's important to remember that a lot of store bought meat has already been frozen and thawed once (it will say "previously frozen" somewhere on the label). If you buy meat, take it home, throw it in the freezer, then thaw and refreeze it again later the meat has then been frozen three times.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_refreeze_already_thawed_meat#ixzz1NxRI6VCK"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

I'd eat it, but then again I cooked with "best before 2007" beef stock cubes last week.

I'm with the OH on this!

From wiki
    "Refreezing meat isn't a good idea. But if you must, the meat should not have been old the first time it was frozen, it should have been thawed under refrigeration and then frozen again shortly after being thawed. Realize that the quality of the meat will be negatively affected. The flavor will likely degrade and the meat will be drier and tougher when cooked.

It's important to remember that a lot of store bought meat has already been frozen and thawed once (it will say "previously frozen" somewhere on the label). If you buy meat, take it home, throw it in the freezer, then thaw and refreeze it again later the meat has then been frozen three times.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_refreeze_already_thawed_meat#ixzz1NxRI6VCK"

I checked the packaging and there was no label saying "Previously Frozen", I'm not saying freeze, refreeze, freeze, refreeze over and over and expect the quality to be still there but if there was a buy 1 get 1 free packet of cooked ham on offer and you made the purchase, put 1 in the fridge and 1 in the freezer this is the same thing. It was fresh, then cooked, then sold, then frozen, then defrosted and eaten. Have not noticed any quality issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

M&S swiss rolls state "not suitable for home freezing" - of course I found this out after I had frozen them !

Still ate them and perfecto so.....
    My thinking is, you buy some mince beef and freeze it , then take it out defrost and make Lasagne, lot's left over so you freeze it. Week later take it out and defrost and eat it. Is there a problem?

Never had a problem myself doing this. AFAIK once it's cooked it's fine to refreeze. That's my mantra and I'm sticking to it :eek:

vicwatson wrote: »
    M&S swiss rolls state "not suitable for home freezing" - of course I found this out after I had frozen them !

Still ate them and perfecto so.....

Never had a problem myself doing this. AFAIK once it's cooked it's fine to refreeze. That's my mantra and I'm sticking to it :eek:

Agreed, and thank's for the support. I think we are being duped by a lot of the supermarkets with best before/use by dates and feel that this is just another "get out clause", "go buy some more stock". If you are a responsible person and keep your kitchen clean and cook your food properly I don't see the problem.
    I like the fact that foods have a date on them but if there is someone out there that has an expert opinion on this I would much appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Some things will split or separate if you freeze them. Mayonnaise, for example. Maybe it's the same with this sauce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Charlie.

If the meat was frozen by the manufacturer before selling it, they may feel the need to put that warning on there to protect themselves incase a consumer freezes it again incorrectly and gets sick from it and tries to blame them...not an informed decision, just a guess though!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It may just be because the manufacturers are concerned that the texture will be affected.
    This is it
    But it's possibly also to do with previous freezing/defrosting/cooking procedures.
    And it is also usually due to this too, water expands and cells explode and effect texture.

Some foods (frozen before or not) do not taste great when frozen in a home freezer, e.g. mushrooms will thaw out to mush, but commercially quick frozen mushrooms may be OK. This is why they even mentioned "home freezing"

No1J wrote: »
    I checked the packaging and there was no label saying "Previously Frozen"
    I doubt they legally have to, and many would like to hide the fact it was frozen. Walshes spice burgers went bust, then they reopened presumably with a lower work force, they now say do not freeze them (never on it before), but I don't think they say they were previously frozen -even though I presume they now are.

Some foods would be effected even if frozen properly so are never frozen.

There is nothing to worry about if defrosted correctly, there are myths about that you cannot freeze, defrost, freeze, defrost meat, as though it magically becomes contaminated, even if done properly.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    This is it

And it is also usually due to this too, water expands and cells explode and effect texture.

Some foods (frozen before or not) do not taste great when frozen in a home freezer, e.g. mushrooms will thaw out to mush, but commercially quick frozen mushrooms may be OK. This is why they even mentioned "home freezing"

I doubt they legally have to, and many would like to hide the fact it was frozen. Walshes spice burgers went bust, then they reopened presumably with a lower work force, they now say do not freeze them (never on it before), but I don't think they say they were previously frozen -even though I presume they now are.

Some foods would be effected even if frozen properly so are never frozen.

There is nothing to worry about if defrosted correctly, there are myths about that you cannot freeze, defrost, freeze, defrost meat, as though it magically becomes contaminated, even if done properly.

Thanks for that, but to late for the chicken, Dog got it. Dogs fine by the way.

Advertisement