Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Boundary Extension

• 31-05-2011 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php/navigation-mainmenu-30/local-news/3197-councillor-nminister-must-opt-for-boundary-extension.html
    “The city is strangled and our commercial rate base is too small."
    WITH an announcement on the Limerick city boundary issue due from the Minister for the Environment any day now, Limerick northside councillor, Maurice Quinlivan is urging the minister to reject the recommendation of the Brosnan Report and disregard its proposal of a merger of Limerick City and County Councils.

‘The best way forward, in line with the submissions to the boundary committee, made by Limerick City Council and others, is to grant the city an extension of its boundary, which means extending the area presently under the jurisdiction of the city council, while leaving that council in existence and expanding its membershIp, commensurate with its increased geographical area of responsibility,” he states.
    Commenting further on the issue he says that Limerick city is in crisis, with thousands of people unemployed and city centre businesses struggling.
    “The city is strangled and our commercial rate base is too small.
    “We are in a dangerous situation of seeking more rates from an increasingly smaller rate base - it is crystal clear that the city urgently needs a boundary extension and while the last government failed Limerick city, I have concerns now that the new minister will make the wrong decision.”
    Insisting that any meaningful local government reform must centre on increasing local democracy by bringing local authorities closer to the people, Cllr Quinlivan adds:
    “What is crystal clear to everyone is that our city has unique problems and it’s essential that the city council be maintained in order for us to tackle these problems - a speedy decision on the boundary issue is vital and that must be to extend the boundary - by doing so the Minister would be doing a huge service for the people of Limerick

If anything the City Council should have no say seeing as they royally fecked up the city with all the traffic lights etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

here we go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

a report in limerick leader seems to think that there will be no extension into clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

The only thing that seems to be getting an extension is this old story..

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

it may be a old story to you.but this area,westbury has been in limbo for over 14yr.clare coco had washed it hands and had not taking in charge one development .not one play area provided.after collecting hundereds of thousand of euros in development levies.

Not too concerned about the parts of Clare to be honest, we don not need them in the city. But very worried about this amalgamated authority. The city and county councillors will fight with each other for years to exert power all the while limerick will fall further into decline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

kilburn wrote: »
    Not too concerned about the parts of Clare to be honest, we don not need them in the city. But very worried about this amalgamated authority. The city and county councillors will fight with each other for years to exert power all the while limerick will fall further into decline.

Yep self interest will come before the interests of the actual city and county imho. I would be very worried about Limerick's ability to maintain current business (and in the city in particular this is already done to a poor standard imho) as well as the ability to attract new business if the amalgamation goes ahead.

I could see parish pump politics becoming worse than it currently is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Headlines of tonights limerick leader 'revolution on the way'.

Limerick city + county council only care about themselves + their jobs, and who's going to be mayor next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

pshh, they already fight each other tooth and nail, at least this way, they're all accountable, when either side suffers. amalgamation is the only way forward for now, then get rid of the parties and have some actual work done by our council.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

One major thing I have to ask is; if the boundary does extend into Clare (just past the Country Club pub in specific), are residents of these areas likely to get some form of city bus service?
    I've been living in Clare/Limerick limbo for the past 6 years (a mile and a half from the City boundary, technically in Clare, yet Limerick is my base for EVERYTHING. I go to UL, went to school in town, shop there, work there etc.) and the lack of a bus service is driving me insane. If I have work at 2, I normally have to go in with my parents at 9 anyway because of the lack of bus service.
    I'd be all for the extension if we got a bus service, but other than that, I couldn't really give a rats ass about the Limerick boundary. (Pardon the pun on that one...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Skintwin wrote: »
    One major thing I have to ask is; if the boundary does extend into Clare (just past the Country Club pub in specific), are residents of these areas likely to get some form of city bus service?
    I've been living in Clare/Limerick limbo for the past 6 years (a mile and a half from the City boundary, technically in Clare, yet Limerick is my base for EVERYTHING. I go to UL, went to school in town, shop there, work there etc.) and the lack of a bus service is driving me insane. If I have work at 2, I normally have to go in with my parents at 9 anyway because of the lack of bus service.
    I'd be all for the extension if we got a bus service, but other than that, I couldn't really give a rats ass about the Limerick boundary. (Pardon the pun on that one...)

Surely the parts of Corbally in Clare have city bus services? Why not ask your local councillor about it?

• Advertisement

Surely the parts of Corbally in Clare have city bus services? Why not ask your local councillor about it?

We don't have anybody 'local' the closest we'd have is anyone based in Shannon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Joke of a system but hey, GAA boundaries are more important than services and proper running of the midwest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Corbally has a bus service, Meelick, Cratloe etc does not.

unless of course you fancy walking a mile and a half to the dual carriageway to get the Shannon commuter bus. which goes once an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

As fas am im aware there is a bus that goes out to shannon banks anyway. so has anyone heard any more about the boundary extension? id love to turn on rte news and hear that it has been approved and now is the third largest city in the country again :)

dave 27 wrote: »
    As fas am im aware there is a bus that goes out to shannon banks anyway. so has anyone heard any more about the boundary extension? id love to turn on rte news and hear that it has been approved and now is the third largest city in the country again :)

Would much prefer to still be the fourth biggest city but have an announcement of loads of new jobs and investment.

I could just see the boundary being extended and the council trying to use the third biggest city thing as being some kind of sign of how great Limerick is doing, rather than looking at things like jobs/services/infrastructure etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Limerick city + county council only care about themselves + their jobs, and who's going to be mayor next.

Corbally is Part of Limerick City, NOT CLARE. It has never been in Clare.

Limerick City Council do not run the Bus Service. Bus Eireann Do.
    http://www.buseireann.ie/news.php?id=631&month=jun

Get Your Local Councillor and TD's ( For Government Dept of Environment Money) to lobby Bus Eireann to extend a bus Service to Meelick and Cratloe.

Castletroy/Raheen/Dooradoyle have a bus service and they are outside the City Jurisdiction because of Limerick County Council and Local TD's. There is no reason for Clare TD's and Councillors not to do the same or else the locals can Threaten them that they want to Join Limerick City in revolt since they do nothing for the locals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Get Your Local Councillor and TD's ( For Government Dept of Environment Money) to lobby Bus Eireann to extend a bus Service to Meelick and Cratloe.

You can include Parteen in that as well.We have been kicking our local TD asses on this for the last fourty years!!CIE /Bus Eire will not put on any bus route on this area.. period!! There is the school bus and thats it,more or less.
    Clare COco considers this frontier area,and just wish it would go away and be absorbed into Limerick.The attitude is;everyone goes in the area to Limerick city rather than Ennis,so they might as well be part of it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

limklad wrote: »
    Corbally is Part of Limerick City, NOT CLARE. It has never been in Clare.Limerick City Council do not run the Bus Service. Bus Eireann Do.
    http://www.buseireann.ie/news.php?id=631&month=jun

Castletroy/Raheen/Dooradoyle have a bus service and they are outside the City Jurisdiction because of Limerick County Council and Local TD's. There is no reason for Clare TD's and Councillors not to do the same or else the locals can Threaten them that they want to Join Limerick City in revolt since they do nothing for the locals.

Is Westbury considered part of Corbally officially? If so then that part of Corbally is in Clare as the Limerick/Clare border line is just after the bridge on the Shannonbanks side.

Using Politicians will be fighting with each other is a poor excuse for a arguement. They always fight and disagree with each other and always negotiate for what they want. There is Enough Newspapers Articles to prove that. So is the Argument about the County council having no experience in running an urban areas. There is no Town councils in the County of Limerick one of three counties in Ireland that do not have Town Councils. All Towns Councils within the County was amalgamated into Limerick county council since the Foundation of the Free State.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_commissioners
    Rathkeale Town Commission was dissolved in 1925.
    Newcastle West Town Commission was Dissolved in 1941.

By Nature Politicians will Always fight for the next Elections and Always adapt to the situation and change of Boundaries otherwise they will not get re-elected. Changing of Electorate Areas is always have been happening since the foundation of the State and well before that under British Rule and before that under Norman Rule and before that under Local Irish Kings Rule, etc, etc. Politics Always adapt to new situations.

The City needs to Evolve otherwise it will die a slow death and the County needs a Strong City and the City is unable to fund itself properly in which the county have always mange it finances better than the city.
    Limerick City will always be there officially and the Amalgamation will not change the City Charter or status. The City will get it extension under this deal.

Under this deal Only the Joint Council will preside over both Jurisdictions with significantly reduce the number of councillor numbers which itself will save us of vast expenses and wages. That is the real reason that the Councillors are in fear of, especially those who barely got vote in. It will also remove duplication of Managerial staff and services and plan better for the future while keeping the Front line and supporting staff. A Bigger Council will have better Negotiation position and buying power for cheaper services from the Private industries and business.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Is Westbury considered part of Corbally officially? If so then that part of Corbally is in Clare as the Limerick/Clare border line is just after the bridge on the Shannonbanks side.
    This is off topic but Westbury is not part of Corbally unless you talk to the Post office or estate Agents. I do not know who decide they were in the same area. The Post office has combine areas under one local post office for ease of delivering letters. When I was Growing up. In my old home Half of my Parish is under the Newcastle west Postal area Routes. If we put the Local Parish name Post office name on the address then it will take an extra day. It get to the Local Post office which does not serve my townland and sent back to Newcastle west post office to be delivered. Put Newcastle west on it and it will be delivery promptly.
    But Estate Agents are far more guilty of Declaring one house is part of another Better off Area to increase asking price or interest.
    Both Westbury and Corbally are in Both are separate areas. People keep mixing up areas when they know they are in the same direction. I know several City People who thinks Crescent Shopping centre part of Raheen. And People keep mixing up Monleen/Newcastle/Castletroy boundaries.

Garda/fire/Bus/Religious services also have they own Areas and boundaries jurisdictions. For the Gardai the Bruff Area to them is a very wide area encompass Killmallock and beyond. Bruff council Voting area also do not match. The City and County Councils change areas boundaries within their jurisdictions when it required.

Depending who you talk to it all very confusing what boundaries you talk about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My understanding was that Corbally ends at the Limerick side of bridge. Shannon Banks, Westbury, etc at the other side of the bridge is Clare? Maybe we can put up a border patrol on the bridge just to be sure. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

limklad wrote: »
    This is off topic but Westbury is not part of Corbally unless you talk to the Post office or estate Agents. I do not know who decide they were in the same area. The Post office has combine areas under one local post office for ease of delivering letters.

The post office addresses are the official legal addresses. Lots of areas/townlands cross county boundaries in the same way that Corbally is in both Limerick and Clare. For example, Celbridge is a Kildare town but part of it's townland extends into Dublin 22 at Hazelhatch.

City and county councillors will never get on LimkLad a dog with a mallet up his arse could see that. they constantly jeer each other so can imagine what it would be like them all in the one chamber.

iguana wrote: »
    The post office addresses are the official legal addresses. Lots of areas/townlands cross county boundaries in the same way that Corbally is in both Limerick and Clare. For example, Celbridge is a Kildare town but part of it's townland extends into Dublin 22 at Hazelhatch.

So part of Corbally is officially in Clare then, rather than it being me wrongly assuming that Westbury was listed as part of Corbally ?

bazz26 wrote: »
    My understanding was that Corbally ends at the Limerick side of bridge. Shannon Banks, Westbury, etc at the other side of the bridge is Clare? Maybe we can put up a border patrol on the bridge just to be sure. :)

Just blow up the bridge :D

and the one in Parteen, and Clonlara, and O' Briensbridge...............:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭manna452121

If you are posting a letter to Westbury and put Co.Clare in the address the sorting machine in Cork will route it to Ennis.This can cause delays,same applies to Parteen,Clonlara,Ardnacrusha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

So part of Corbally is officially in Clare then, rather than it being me wrongly assuming that Westbury was listed as part of Corbally ?

Yup, if you look up any Westbury addresses on the PrecisionAddress function on the An Post verification page it says Westbury, Corbally, Co Clare.

http://address.anpost.ie/precisionaddressanpost/precisionaddresspost.aspx

City and county councillors will never get on LimkLad a dog with a mallet up his arse could see that. they constantly jeer each other so can imagine what it would be like them all in the one chamber.
    I do not expect City Councillors to get on with anybody not even between themselves. County Councillors are bad, but the city councillors are far worst. There plenty of that in the Newspapers with upmanships and backstabbing deals for example the Mayor positions Politicians deals over the last 20 years. Look at the recent Bus Lane Routes fighting. They cannot seem to agree on that. So there is nothing new there. But far less city councillors will mean less fighting and more work done with less people and a big saving to the Tax payers.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    Postal Address are not Official Address with Postal Routes are concern. Postal address differ from Councils addresses. They have not been the same since early Irish Free State days. While Councils use postal address to send to people Letters. If you put the wrong address on your planning permission, it will be rejected as non-valid address. Corbally does not officially extend into Co. Clare. If it did it would be part of Limerick City Council Area.
    Councils address are the official State address. Postal address line up with delivery routes not Council Address.

Advertisement