Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not happy with apparent 'fixed fault'

Options
  • 31-05-2011 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Dear Eircom,

I logged a fault on the 30.05.11 regarding my phone and internet. The phone line has a loud crackling noise on the line permanently and the broadband modem has a red instead of green light under where it says 'internet' on the modem.

I logged a fault via your 'log a fault' service on eircom.net and it subsequently came back saying that the fault was fixed, however the fault is indeed not fixed. The noise is still on the phone line and the internet is still not working.

Could you please look into this as a matter of urgency. In around the same time this started happening we received a letter from eircom saying that they were upgrading our line and broadband so maybe this fault is in relation to the upgrade. Either way it is unacceptable service and I wish to have the fault fixed ASAP.

On another issue, your broadband meter says that our combined broadband usage is 24GB which I find extremely unlikely as the internet is only used for e-mail and light browsing by my mother. The figures shown for march and april seem more realistic usage

Original fault number: 10864499

Please can you see if there is anything that can be done

Regards

Travnett

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

why post here,send it to eircom,you just posted your private account number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭travnett

horse7 wrote: »
    why post here,send it to eircom,you just posted your private account number.

Why not post here? This is the eircom 'talk to' forum and I have sent it also to eircom, just trying to get the issue resolved asap. I removed my account number.

Nevertheless thank you for your concern.

EDIT: issue seems to be resolved please close thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

travnett wrote: »
    Why not post here? This is the eircom 'talk to' forum and I have sent it also to eircom, just trying to get the issue resolved asap. I removed my account number.

Nevertheless thank you for your concern.

EDIT: issue seems to be resolved please close thread

Hi Travnet
    yes can see that that issue has been closed but if any further issue just let me know..I have your details now if needed..

As a broadband Advanced customer your usage limit is actually unlimited but your broadband speed package has been upgraded free of charge from up to 8Mb to up to 24Mb.

Horse7 has a point, it would not be a good idea to post your a/c number on an open forum, however as you posted an internal eircom fault number and not any pertinent account details there is no security issue.
    Thanks for posting.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

the upload on those stats look very high for email and browsing

i would check to make sure there is no torrent/p2p programs or skype running on the computer . either of those could explain the higher then expected usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Dear Eircom,

I logged a fault on the 30.05.11 regarding my phone and internet. The phone line has a loud crackling noise on the line permanently and the broadband modem has a red instead of green light under where it says 'internet' on the modem.

I logged a fault via your 'log a fault' service on eircom.net and it subsequently came back saying that the fault was fixed, however the fault is indeed not fixed. The noise is still on the phone line and the internet is still not working.

Regards

Travnett

this is very similar to what we are experiencing too...

so i am not the only one getting noise on the line and a red light on the modem...

eircom were trying to tell me there was no fault showing on my line too?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

just an update,

Eircom (Mark) just had an technician sent out, he discovered one of the lines outside had badly corroded and has fixed the issue, he was surprised we even had a phone line with how bad the problem was thats why they were thrown off what the real problem was all because the phone worked...apparently we were an unusual case.

anyway i know eircom have their processes to go through but i have to say thank you to Mark who was the only one to not tell me it was the splitter and for actually helping us get this sorted when the phone Customer care couldn't! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

hoodwinked wrote: »
    just an update,

Eircom (Mark) just had an technician sent out, he discovered one of the lines outside had badly corroded and has fixed the issue, he was surprised we even had a phone line with how bad the problem was thats why they were thrown off what the real problem was all because the phone worked...apparently we were an unusual case.

anyway i know eircom have their processes to go through but i have to say thank you to Mark who was the only one to not tell me it was the splitter and for actually helping us get this sorted when the phone Customer care couldn't! :)

Hi hoodwinked,

I'm just glad it's sorted :)

Thanks for getting back to me.

Regards, Mark

Baneblade wrote: »
    the upload on those stats look very high for email and browsing

i would check to make sure there is no torrent/p2p programs or skype running on the computer . either of those could explain the higher then expected usage.

There is definitely not any torrent or p2p program running on her laptop. The wireless is secured with a WEP key generated by the eircom modem cd. Maybe I will change this as there seems to be some programs now which can specifically hack eircom WEP keys.

I will check the stats again and see what it looks like.

p.s Thanks Tony for your post, I will get in touch if the problem re-appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Change to WPA or WPA2 encryption I'd say! With the most random password known to man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

There is definitely not any torrent or p2p program running on her laptop. The wireless is secured with a WEP key generated by the eircom modem cd. Maybe I will change this as there seems to be some programs now which can specifically hack eircom WEP keys.

I will check the stats again and see what it looks like.

p.s Thanks Tony for your post, I will get in touch if the problem re-appears.

Do you have a netopia modem?

click here : http://192.168.1.254/indexExptStatRES.htm?lanstatRES.htm

It will show you what devices are connected to your modem if you see any computers you don't recoginize then someone is using your connection you don't have to change from WEP if this is not the problem!

• Advertisement

hi eircom tony/mark, just spoke with my mother and the internet and phone line is still faulty. the crackling noise on the phone line is pretty bad, both sides of the line can hear it and the internet is still with a red light on it. I got her to unplug all the filters for the internet out of the lines and to plug the phones in direct, but this makes no difference to the noise or the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tungsten Tide

Post Faults HERE. ISP's r not really the 1's at fault most of the time.

Post Faults HERE. ISP's r not really the 1's at fault most of the time.

I don't understand, how are isp's not really the ones at fault most of the time? If it's not the phone/isp provider then who or what? Our equipment is in working order and both faults arrived simultaneously (not having a go at eircom, just don't understand where this poster is coming from)

Also if eircom were to check up our line history, they would see that there have being some other faults over the last few years.

Again Mark/Tony thank you for your help so far in this matter and with the forum, hope it gets sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tungsten Tide

I don't understand, how are isp's not really the ones at fault most of the time? If it's not the phone/isp provider then who or what? Our equipment is in working order and both faults arrived simultaneously (not having a go at eircom, just don't understand where this poster is coming from)

Also if eircom were to check up our line history, they would see that there have being some other faults over the last few years.

Again Mark/Tony thank you for your help so far in this matter and with the forum, hope it gets sorted soon.

Local area base stations (IXP) are maintained by the Internet Neutral Exchange. Whenever there is a fault they (ISP's) contact INEX's network to see if there is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Tow

The wireless is secured with a WEP key generated by the eircom modem cd. Maybe I will change this as there seems to be some programs now which can specifically hack eircom WEP keys.

Not Seems, there are.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

hi eircom tony/mark, just spoke with my mother and the internet and phone line is still faulty. the crackling noise on the phone line is pretty bad, both sides of the line can hear it and the internet is still with a red light on it. I got her to unplug all the filters for the internet out of the lines and to plug the phones in direct, but this makes no difference to the noise or the internet.

Hi travnett,

Thanks again. I've checked call history and have been advised that eircom engineers recently (01/06/2011) did a line test on your phoneline and found no external faults.

If you're still getting noise 'crackling' on your phoneline, then please ensure that you check your internal phone setup. If you have more than one or two handsets, then try to test your phoneline with just one phone connected. Ensure that you temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with your phoneliine connection. Remove the splitter and connect the phone directly to the main phone socket. Test the connection again.

Once you have done this then this will indicate that this problem is with the external network and hence there will be no call out charges if an eircom engineer needs to go out to your premises. If it is found to be a non-eircom fault on the line, then there may well be a call out fee if the engineer goes out and discovers the fault is due to internal equipment on your phoneline.

If still experiencing noise on the phoneline, then please report this immediately to eircom Customer Faults on 1901 (freefone).

They will need to test your phoneline again, and will then excalate to eircom engineering for further investigation.

If you need further advice on this, please let me know.

Kind regards,
    Ant

So the fault is finally resolved. Eircom engineers came out to the house and found that the line coming into the house were perished and required replacement. Also apparently the eircom router also needed replacement. So now this is all done and both problem have being fully resolved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Only took them a month and all, well done Travnett :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

So the fault is finally resolved. Eircom engineers came out to the house and found that the line coming into the house were perished and required replacement. Also apparently the eircom router also needed replacement. So now this is all done and both problem have being fully resolved.

Glad to hear that has been resolved at last travnet. Any further issue on this please let us know.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nickhilliard

Local area base stations (IXP) are maintained by the Internet Neutral Exchange. Whenever there is a fault they (ISP's) contact INEX's network to see if there is a problem.

Hi Tungsten,

Jumping in (very) late on this conversation, I'm not sure where you got this idea from :)

INEX provides a distributed network which allows IP service providers to interconnect to each other. We don't deal with any issues inside our members' networks. So if you have a phone line or exchange problem, you can be guaranteed it's nothing to do with INEX.

Nick Hilliard

• Advertisement
Advertisement