Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Get Photos off old PC

• 31-05-2011 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to get photos I downloaded from a digital camera from my old Gateway pc (with windows 98) to my newer Iqon (windows vista).

The Gateway does not have a cd burner and the usb ports don't seem to be able to detect the flash card. Also, for that pc, I had a dialup web connection (it has no ethernet port), but for the new one I have broadband. So I can't get the old one back onto the web.

Can anyone tell me the best way to go about transferring the files?

Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Just take the hard disk out and plug it into the newer PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

There's a good chance if it's Windows 98 it won't have IDE ports for him to plug the old drive into.
    Your best bet is to pick up a cheap ethernet card or WiFi adapter, or burn USB drivers for your flash card onto a CD (assuming that it does detect and just doesn't have the drivers for them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

You may need to adjust the jumpers on the drive to set it to slave if you are putting it into your newer pc.
    You can also use something like this(link) - though you might find a cheaper alternative in your local PC store.

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/02_PCCASE/04_HDDCASE/productdetails/15442970/ICY_BOX_Aluminium_Case_black/IB_351ASTU_B/default.aspx

Your old drive would be IDE/PATA 3.5inch so make sure you get that type. It will basically turn your old drive into an external harddrive which you then connect via usb.
    May not be worth the expense for a one off job.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭big man andy

There's a good chance if it's Windows 98 it won't have IDE ports for him to plug the old drive into.
    Your best bet is to pick up a cheap ethernet card or WiFi adapter, or burn USB drivers for your flash card onto a CD (assuming that it does detect and just doesn't have the drivers for them)

Think DP is on a winner here. Have a look at the website for the flash disk manufacturer, SanDisk, Transcend etc. Hopefully they'll have a Win 98SE driver in an .exe form. Burn it to CD and run it on the Gateway.

Should do the job.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Thanks very much for the help, greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement