Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legalize Cannabis Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

mikom wrote: »
    Must remember to avoid sex so.....

Dopamine: Elevated levels of dopamine in the brain produce extremely focused attention. This chemical causes each spouse to focus intensely on the other at the exclusion of everything else around them. A release of dopamine is associated with craving and dependency in addiction, which may be why it can help produce a healthy attraction and dependency between the spouses.

Norepinephrine: This chemical generates exhilaration and increased energy by giving the body a shot of natural adrenaline. Norepinephrine has also been linked to raising memory capacity. Whatever stimulus is being experienced in the presence of this chemical is “seared” in the brain. This helps explain how a couple in love can remember the smallest details of their beloved’s features.

Testosterone: Testosterone is known as the hormone of sexual desire in both men and women. For men, however, it is the key hormone of desire, triggering feelings of positive energy and well-being.

Oxytocin: The flood of oxytocin at climax acts as a natural tranquilizer, lowering blood pressure, blunting sensitivity to pain and stress, and inducing sleep.

Serotonin: This natural chemical is released right after climax, bringing on a deep feeling of calmness, satisfaction and release from stress. Anti-depressant drugs like Prozac are designed to increase levels of serotonin.

All well and good, but these are things your body produces itself.

Weed (THC) is an external thing that you're introducing to your body it alters your brain chemistry. The Scientific community know very little about how the brain works, I can only go on seeing first hand what Weed has done to people.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Everything changes your mental state, to remember something new your brain has to change it's layout and become something different than it was. So there's nothing bad about changing you mental state it's a healthy thing for a brain to do. If your changing that state by damaging it and killing cells that's different but cannabis doesn't do that.

Don't care, have seen lads that have turned into total wasters on weed, they become lazy, lethargic, lose the drive to do anything meaningful and everyone I know that came off it, were glad that they did.

Again, your missing the point, people can smoke away. I don't really care, but I don't want it to be Legal, I don't want there to be a Legal age where its now 'ok' for your kids to smoke weed because its 'legal'

Legal implies 'safe' , Decriminalisation implies 'at your own risk' thats why its not Legal here.

The amount of times i've seen a English/Irish person being taken off in an Ambulance from a coffee shop after going white, I don't have enough fingers to count

If you want good weed then grow your own, theres nothing stopping you from doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Weed (THC) is an external thing that you're introducing to your body it alters your brain chemistry. The Scientific community know very little about how the brain works, I can only go on seeing first hand what Weed has done to people.

Don't care, have seen lads that have turned into total wasters on weed, they become lazy, lethargic, lose the drive to do anything meaningful and everyone I know that came off it, were glad that they did.

Again, your missing the point, people can smoke away. I don't really care, but I don't want it to be Legal, I don't want there to be a Legal age where its now 'ok' for your kids to smoke weed because its 'legal'

Legal implies 'safe' , Decriminalisation implies 'at your own risk' thats why its not Legal here.

The amount of times i've seen a English/Irish person being taken off in an Ambulance from a coffee shop after going white, I don't have enough fingers to count

If you want good weed then grow your own, theres nothing stopping you from doing it.

Using an example of the type of person that ends up in hospital after a whitener in a coffee shop, would be the same as using a teenager who's just necked a bottle of absinthe as his first drink....

although yeah i hear ya about the lack of motivation and diminishing life goals!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I lived in the middle of Amsterdam for two years, speak Dutch fairly fluently and my girlfriend is Dutch. That just doesn't happen. A coffee shop will never call an ambulance for somebody going white because a)They know there's nothing the ambulance men can or really need to do other than wait for the whitey to pass and b)They don't want the bad publicity when their license review comes up and they don't want to bring a 'control' or inspection on themselves.
    Nobody in the Netherlands is under the impression that weed is 'safe' or ok to smoke when you're 18, and this attitude is reflected in most Dutch people's moderation or even total abstinence when it comes to weed. (This doesn't apply as much to foreign nationals or 'buitenlanders' but that's more symptomatic of a gulf in cultures and social position rather than any kind of addiction problem)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

Legal does not imply safe, nor should it. Do you really want government to decide what you can or cant do depending on how safe it is?

Its legal to scuba dive, ride a motorcycle, jump out of plane, bungee jump, etc etc... all activities that involve a degree of risk and can/have end with deadly consequences.

In your opinion should all of these be illegal because they are not always safe?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Scientific community know very little about how the brain works.

The scientific communtiy would disagree with you.
    emul8ter25 wrote: »
    Legal does not imply safe, nor should it. Do you really want government to decide what you can or cant do depending on how safe it is?

Its legal to scuba dive, ride a motorcycle, jump out of plane, bungee jump, etc etc... all activities that involve a degree of risk and can/have end with deadly consequences.

In your opinion should all of these be illegal because they are not always safe?

Lets not forget driving a car, which is the most dangerous thing a person can do.

• Advertisement

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I lived in the middle of Amsterdam for two years, speak Dutch fairly fluently and my girlfriend is Dutch. That just doesn't happen. A coffee shop will never call an ambulance for somebody going white because a)They know there's nothing the ambulance men can or really need to do other than wait for the whitey to pass and b)They don't want the bad publicity when their license review comes up and they don't want to bring a 'control' or inspection on themselves.
    Nobody in the Netherlands is under the impression that weed is 'safe' or ok to smoke when you're 18, and this attitude is reflected in most Dutch people's moderation or even total abstinence when it comes to weed. (This doesn't apply as much to foreign nationals or 'buitenlanders' but that's more symptomatic of a gulf in cultures and social position rather than any kind of addiction problem)

This was in Den Haag, not in Amsterdam and happened outside/nearby the Coffee Shop, yes the Coffee Shop would never call an ambulance, they would just kick them out on to the street and a passer by would ring them after the person wandered all over the street and then eventually tripped/slipped over something.

Its not the actual event that injures them its banging their head off something on the way down.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The scientific communtiy would disagree with you.

Let me know when they can sort out Epilepsy and i'll agree with you.
    Lets not forget driving a car, which is the most dangerous thing a person can do.

A car is a tool thats used to get from one place to another.
    Weed used as a recreational drug is a recreational drug, your comparing oranges to triangles.

Weed used as a recreational drug is a recreational drug, your comparing oranges to triangles.

Which is why I specifically listed all recreational activities in my example, knowing full well someone would try to use that argument...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

This was in Den Haag, not in Amsterdam and happened outside/nearby the Coffee Shop, yes the Coffee Shop would never call an ambulance, they would just kick them out on to the street and a passer by would ring them after the person wandered all over the street and then eventually tripped/slipped over something.

Its not the actual event that injures them its banging their head off something on the way down.

And you saw this happen more than 10 times in Den Haag which has relatively few coffee shops? I cycled through Wormoestraat everyday, sometimes a few times. I lived around the corner from Damrak and Haarlemmerstraat. These are the main hotspots for smoking weed in the whole Netherlands and there's about 40 coffeeshops in the area. The worst I've ever seen is people having bicycle bells rang at them for stepping in front of a bike or very rarely you might see someone puke, but that would be once every few months. There's either something wrong with the streets in Den Haag or else it's a massive coincidence that you've seen it happen so many times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

The law & custodians of law surely ? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Now maby if we were open to exploring 'weed' to treat such things then we would may get somewhere.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Elaborate please. Not that epilepsy has anything to do with studies of the effects of THC on the brain or anything.
    Weed used as a recreational drug is a recreational drug, your comparing oranges to triangles

You can drive cars for recreation too. They also cause considerabe damage to the planet and kill thousands of people every year. Weed is just a tool to feel good. Its a bit of a straw man I admit :pac:

keithclancy seems pretty close minded about the issue, so theres not much point trying to have a conversation with him.

I dont like alcohol, and I think it is bad as well, but you wont see my crying that it should be made illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Weed (THC) is an external thing that you're introducing to your body it alters your brain chemistry.

So like a cup of tea so.....

Coffee aswell. Dont touch the stuff but know people who have stayed up for 48 hours straight stufying for exams on the stuff.

^^^ clearly an external thing that you're introducing to your body it alters your brain chemistry

I propose that we make coffee illegal :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

People are smoking away but are being criminalised for doing so. That's the issue here. It won't be OK for kids to smoke under legislation as there would be a minimum age

Sounds like confirmation bias to me.

Here's a question for you keith, do you think the consumption of alcohol should be made illegal? All of what you said about cannabis users above could be applied to some drinkers. Throw in social disorder, disastrous effects on health, broken homes due to alcoholism, cost to the economy from absenteeism, the list goes on.

For a man with such views on the effects of cannabis it logically follows that you would support a ban on alcohol as well. Is this the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭beerpong

How is this even debatable. You can't overdose on this drug. It is extremely effective in the treatment of certain disorders. It is low cost. It can used for all sorts of industrial products. It will boost the economy. As far as wasters becoming lethargic, I have found in my experience that people who get this way are habitual users who started at a young age. The next generation will have access to grass far more potent than any hash that was available when I was a young teen(some friends started smoking before their teens!). This is another argument for legalizing it and regulating it. To protect our young, to take the power away from unregulated dealers who sell to anyone. To separate teenage cannabis users from drug dealers completely and don't try find what else is on offer.
    Legalizing cannabis has always been met with resistance since it was first made illegal in the 70s, since then anti-cannabis claims have been disproving. The facts are there now. Education, regulation and legalization will help protect kids from pitfalls of drug use.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    And you saw this happen more than 10 times in Den Haag which has relatively few coffee shops? I cycled through Wormoestraat everyday, sometimes a few times. I lived around the corner from Damrak and Haarlemmerstraat. These are the main hotspots for smoking weed in the whole Netherlands and there's about 40 coffeeshops in the area. The worst I've ever seen is people having bicycle bells rang at them for stepping in front of a bike or very rarely you might see someone puke, but that would be once every few months. There's either something wrong with the streets in Den Haag or else it's a massive coincidence that you've seen it happen so many times

Theres about 5 coffee shops within 5 minutes walk of the Albert Heijn XL near Grote Markt in Den Haag, saw it happen a most of the time outside Cremers.
    mongdesade wrote: »

The law & custodians of law surely ? :rolleyes:

Really ?
    I would say the Gardai don't burst into peoples homes and even when they catch people with Weed they just take off them, I know of one guy who had some in his pocket at Cork Airport, they just left him off with a warning.

When has anyone gone to Jail for smoking weed in Ireland ?
    Now maby if we were open to exploring 'weed' to treat such things then we would may get somewhere.

Actually the Ketogenic Diet one of the best non drug free ways of treating Epileptic Seizures, using drugs to try and alter brain chemistry is pretty much a lucky bag.

If you know someone with a mental illness, you'll know that Psychiatrists essentially just try a semi-random combination of drugs until theres an improvement.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Elaborate please. Not that epilepsy has anything to do with studies of the effects of THC on the brain or anything.

You can drive cars for recreation too. They also cause considerabe damage to the planet and kill thousands of people every year. Weed is just a tool to feel good. Its a bit of a straw man I admit :pac:

The point being that the Scientific community know very little about the brain.

Driving a Car, its very easy to quantify your risk, and offset that risk with training.

Environmentally .. thats a different topic.
    keithclancy seems pretty close minded about the issue, so theres not much point trying to have a conversation with him.

I dont like alcohol, and I think it is bad as well, but you wont see my crying that it should be made illegal.

Actually I would say the people here are very closed minded since they need some sort of validation from the Authorities to be able to smoke weed.

Alcohol over a prolonged period of time is fine in moderation, Alcoholism is a symptom of an underlying problem that a person has and like anything too much of it can kill you.

Cigarettes are addictive and cause Lung disease.

Weed really is mind altering, people needing it to 'chill out' and 'think of things' need to think about why they need it.

Barrys or Lyons ?
    People are smoking away but are being criminalised for doing so. That's the issue here. It won't be OK for kids to smoke under legislation as there would be a minimum age

How so ? whens the last time the Gardaí burst into your house because you were smoking weed at home
    Sounds like confirmation bias to me.

Bias how ?
    You can do what you like, but do it at home.
    Here's a question for you keith, do you think the consumption of alcohol should be made illegal? All of what you said about cannabis users above could be applied to some drinkers. Throw in social disorder, disastrous effects on health, broken homes due to alcoholism, cost to the economy from absenteeism, the list goes on.

Don't really know how to answer that one, all of that stuff in bold is really only an issue in Ireland and the UK, on the continent they don't have this "get hammered" culture here.

The issues caused by Alcohol in Ireland are Socio-Economic ones.
    For a man with such views on the effects of cannabis it logically follows that you would support a ban on alcohol as well. Is this the case?

No, Alcohol already exists and when consumed responsibly doesn't cause an issue, the anti-social issues caused by alcohol are partly due to the way society works in Ireland.

Its strange that in a Society where smoking cigarettes is now banned in public establishments, that you want them to Legalise Weed so you can smoke it in Public places.

If you really want to smoke weed then do so, if you want a good supply of weed then just grow it.

Having said that, do it home, theres nothing stopping you, the Gardaí do not burst into houses doing random checks, they only prosecute people they suspect are growing a supply for the purposes of sale.

No, Alcohol already exists and when consumed responsibly doesn't cause an issue, the anti-social issues caused by alcohol are partly due to the way society works in Ireland.

How is it you seem to be so uneducated about alcohol?

FACT: alcohol is a mind altering drug.

How is it you seem to be so uneducated about alcohol?

FACT: alcohol is a mind altering drug.

Did I say that it wasn't ?

FACT: If your quite chubby and smoke quite a bit, then exercise some days later you'll feel stoned again because the THC stored in your fat is released again.

But it can stay in your system for up to 6 weeks.

Alcohol is completely gone from your system in a few days.

• Advertisement

Did I say that it wasn't ?

FACT: If your quite chubby and smoke quite a bit, then exercise some days later you'll feel stoned again because the THC stored in your fat is released again.

But it can stay in your system for up to 6 weeks.

Alcohol is completely gone from your system in a few days.

So you basically say the problems caused by alcohol are socio-economic and its a problem because of the "get hammered culture" of ireland/uk, but otherwise its fine and harmless if used responsibly.

Then you are quick to condemn cannabis even though it is widely accepted as being less harmful than alcohol. So you can see where the problems in your arguments are...

Is it not possibly for people to use cannibis responsibly?

So you basically say the problems caused by alcohol are socio-economic and its a problem because of the "get hammered culture" of ireland/uk, but otherwise its fine and harmless if used responsibly.

Then you are quick to condemn cannabis even though it is widely accepted as being less harmful than alcohol. So you can see where the problems in your arguments are...

Is it not possibly for people to use cannibis responsibly?

No, Decriminalised it works fine here in the Netherlands.

Make it legal in a 'get hammered' culture and I don't know what would happen.

Can you imagine if every single Irish person you met that comes to visit the Netherlands, their first port of call is a coffee shop and the first thing they do is get mashed off their tits.

Then the conversation usually consists of either giggling at a street sign name or they get 'the fear' or worse they just sit there saying 'yeah' every so often.

Do you not wonder why its now forbidden for non-residents to purchase Weed from coffee shops in the Regions of Brabant and Limburg ?

And from January next year its going to be forbidden for foreigners to purchase weed anywhere in the Netherlands.

If you saw this for the last 5 years what would you think ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

When has anyone gone to Jail for smoking weed in Ireland ?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0211/1224311624370.html

Admittedly a drug drive incident....

That guy when to Jail for running someone over :confused:

Can you imagine if every single Irish person you met that comes to visit the Netherlands, their first port of call is a coffee shop and the first thing they do is get mashed off their tits.

Then the conversation usually consists of either giggling at a street sign name or they get 'the fear' or worse they just sit there saying 'yeah' every so often.

I can hardly think of anything worse than watching people giggling at a street sign or just sitting. You are right, those kind of things need to be stopped at all costs!

That indeed sounds far worse than the effects alcohol has on peoples behavior.

Wow... so basically you are just one massive killjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ciaran0

Funny that they'd mention the amount of weed he smoked but don't say anything about the quantity of alcohol he consumed.....

I can hardly think of anything worse than watching people giggling at a street sign or just sitting. You are right, those kind of things need to be stopped at all costs!

That indeed sounds far worse than the effects alcohol has on peoples behavior.

Wow... so basically you are just one massive killjoy.

When its just English / Irish People ?
    Yes its hilarious, but when your Irish and everyone assumes thats why your living in the Netherlands its not funny anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Legalisation in Portugal has seen no increase in drug use and crime is down.

ryoishin wrote: »
    Legalisation in Portugal has seen no increase in drug use and crime is down.

Shhhhh. people general dont like facts in this debate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement