Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legalize Cannabis Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I think everyone is overplaying the smoking side of cannabis leagilisation.
    So basicly this plant is god given and it is retarded that we are not uatilising it.
    The whole purpose of discussing legalisation is because people want to smoke it, the other stuff is mostly irrelevant. Otherwise it would be legal and utilised as a controlled substance, in the same manner as many opoid-based drugs. Recreational use is what the debate centres on.

Hemp AFAIK isn't illegal, you can certainly buy products made from it. It has some interesting uses but is by no means the miracle plant you might wish it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    The whole purpose of discussing legalisation is because people want to smoke it, the other stuff is mostly irrelevant. Otherwise it would be legal and utilised as a controlled substance, in the same manner as many opoid-based drugs. Recreational use is what the debate centres on.

Hemp AFAIK isn't illegal, you can certainly buy products made from it. It has some interesting uses but is by no means the miracle plant you might wish it to be.

How is the other stuff irrelevant? We are not alloud to grow strains of this plant that is impossible to get high off. For some reason that is illegal too

Yes you can import hemp products. I am talking about jobs and money for our own economy though

Persoanly i think that is a factor in the debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Madness.

I like the odd smoke. But it knocks me on my ass.

Could you imagine how lazy the youth would get.

Never would I vote for this. Ever.

Whats the big deal anyways. Just because its illegal does not mean one does not smoke it in private.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pretty sure its legal to sell the seeds of the marijuana plant for some reason? Or it was ten years ago at least, you're just not allowed grow them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Jimoslimos wrote: »

I don't think the whole purpose of discussing legalisation is because people want to smoke it. Perhaps it is for LCI. I would like to see it legalised, and I don't smoke it, nor would I if it was legal.

The main issue for me is the freedom of choice for an individual to use something that seems relatively harmless in the grand scheme of things. I believe that I would benefit directly as a result of the freeing up of police resources, the effect it could have on reducing organised gang-related crime.

The irrelevant (to you) other stuff is relevant to me. A crop that could be used as an effective biofuel interests me. I don't think it's use in making paper products will save many rainforests, but it does seem to have a multitude of uses that would make it an attractive crop. We would all benefit from the revenue it would raise through taxes (this could be offset by losses to the drinks and tobacco industry - it would need to be examined)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

How is the other stuff irrelevant? We are not alloud to grow strains of this plant that is impossible to get high off. For some reason that is illegal too

Yes you can import hemp products. I am talking about jobs and money for our own economy though

Persoanly i think that is a factor in the debate

But will really create jobs?

Pubs and cafes are closing down every day of the week, and unless we legalize prostitution and banana shows people will still just go to Amsterdam as its very accessible from main land Europe and probably a lot cheaper too.

and besides, Legalizing cannabis isn't going to be some romantic notion of gentlemen and ladies getting high beside some lake side cafe whilst discussing chopin. It'll be most likely sold in centra at an outrageous price to the local wasters anto and deco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is hemp illegal?
    It is and it isn't. Hemp and the plant it comes from is not the same plant as cannabis. But you cannot grow hemp in Ireland without a license and you can't get a license. In the UK they do have some hemp growers but they're regulated to the point the business is crippled. If it wasn't for the fact hemp is such a wonder material that people will pay through the nose for nobody anywhere would grow it.
    Pretty sure its legal to sell the seeds of the marijuana plant for some reason? Or it was ten years ago at least, you're just not allowed grow them?
    Cannabis seeds are used for food (very, very good for you) so maybe that's why you can buy seeds but they can be taken off you and if you put them in soil you've broken the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

Would somebody, please enlighten us all as to why I or anyone else, should be criminalised for growing a few cannabis plants in the garden shed for our very own use ? Where is the evil in this ? Where is the badness in this ? Where is the danger to society in any way shape or form from this which causes the Dail to spring to the defence of the citizenry resulting in legislative control ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dionysius2 wrote: »
    Would somebody, please enlighten us all as to why I or anyone else, should be criminalised for growing a few cannabis plants in the garden shed for our very own use ? Where is the evil in this ? Where is the badness in this ? Where is the danger to society in any way shape or form from this which causes the Dail to spring to the defence of the citizenry resulting in legislative control ?

Because young people will stop going to school and not want to get jobs. Could you live with the guilt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Boombastic wrote: »

Looks like a good detailed report. Will have a proper look at it later.
    Another good reason why we sould legilise this. Get it out of the hands of our youth
    But will really create jobs?
    How can it not creat jobs?
    Pubs and cafes are closing down every day of the week, and unless we legalize prostitution and banana shows people will still just go to Amsterdam as its very accessible from main land Europe and probably a lot cheaper too.
    That is a different debate than the cannabis debate. How does bringing in prostituation help the cannabis debate. The reaon why i brought in the uses of hemp is, if it is legilised farmers can start growing it.
    Prostitution is a different matter altogether. I dont think i would be in favour of it becouse it is not a victimless crime
    and besides, Legalizing cannabis isn't going to be some romantic notion of gentlemen and ladies getting high beside some lake side cafe whilst discussing chopin. It'll be most likely sold in centra at an outrageous price to the local wasters anto and deco.
    Cant be more outrageous then what people are currently paying.
    And as the link above shows we currently have one of the highest rates of cannabis use in europe. Legilisation can only help
    I dont know buddy. I dont know
    It is and it isn't. Hemp and the plant it comes from is not the same plant as cannabis.
    They are both varieties of the Cannabis sativa plant. (same thing in the eyes of 99% of the population.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Well if you live with nobody next to you then grand.

If you live in a housing estate then it fooking stinks, my neighbour had 3 large plants and it smelt like Cheech and Chong out my back garden.

I didn't mind like, I smoke cigarettes so my sense of smell is awful .. but the Neighbour next to him didn't fancy it at all, caused a lot of friction.

Otherwise, I do know a bunch of people that just grow it themselves in Ireland and have done for the last 15 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DjDoody

I love how people mention this gateway drug theory when they dont understand it.No one goes this weed isnt strong enough I want some heroine because they are completely different in cost,and the buzz off it,they get stronger smoke.Dont blame weed for stupid people getting hooked on heroine because people are educated enough now to know what it does to you even though its made out to be worse than it is.

Also youll never be able to stop "youths" having it,Like drink and fags there will always be that problem,Anyone who thinks you should have to be over 21 to buy weed is outrageous because at 17 most people have developed fully and are ready to make there own choices

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I think cannabis should be legalized,it would rake in 1) jobs 2) tourism 3) other related businesses would grow and expand and create in turn more jobs 4) tax revenue for government 5) the eu debts would be paid off and we wouldnt have to scrounge off people who already pay their fare share via household tax and what not..

The bill should be passed already,its a harmless drug,and it could be turned into a victimless one if it is properly legalised..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think cannabis should be legalized,it would rake in 1) jobs 2) tourism 3) other related businesses would grow and expand and create in turn more jobs 4) tax revenue for government 5) the eu debts would be paid off and we wouldnt have to scrounge off people who already pay their fare share via household tax and what not..

I think it's easy to overstate the positive effects and actually harm the correct side of this debate.
    While I think there would be jobs, money, tourism and so forth they are very much bonuses.

Given that the eu debts are in the tens of billions, it would take an awful lot of tax revenue from the cannabis industry to cover it. It would certainly help though. Saying it would be an industry that would create tens of millions of € is quite reasonable.

This:
    The bill should be passed already,its a harmless drug,and it could be turned into a victimless one if it is properly legalised..
    is the principle argument.

People shouldn't have to be bribed with promises of wealth from the cannabis industry to be made to understand why it shouldn't be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

The government simply doesn't have the power to stop us using drugs. It is EASY for anyone to get drugs.

Legalising cannabis isn't going to mean more users, it means the ones who've been using cannabis the whole time will not be labelled as criminals and won't be thrown in prison with real criminals, rapists, thieves and so on.

Because young people will stop going to school and not want to get jobs. Could you live with the guilt?

Is there any information in support of this assertion ? If this is an opinion, what reasoning has led to it ? And as for guilt.....well there is not a lot of that around at the moment because I can think of people who have screwed hundreds of the citizenry shamelessly.....destroyed their jobs....their homes....their savings.....and they don't do guilt, that's for sure.

Is there any information in support of this assertion ? If this is an opinion, what reasoning has led to it ?

There's nothing to support it no but unfortunately it is an opinion some people seem to have. I don't think it has anything to do with reasoning though, because it makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

The Joe Duffy brigade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

There's nothing to support it no but unfortunately it is an opinion some people seem to have. I don't think it has anything to do with reasoning though, because it makes no sense.

I agree.

to say weed would keep a child or teenager from school is false.

Beer is legal. Im sure all those teenagers have a bit of sense and dont drink on school nights LOL.

Same with weed. It would be an over 21 drug with only medical use if it ever made it here IMO.

• Advertisement

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I agree.

to say weed would keep a child or teenager from school is false.

Beer is legal. Im sure all those teenagers have a bit of sense and dont drink on school nights LOL.

Yea...and cars kill people and so do buses and planes and alcohol induced illnesses (sold under government licence !) is the biggest hospital bed filler in the land by miles and then there's all that loot reaped by the government from the legal tobacco sales (i.e. that percentage of the market that's not controlled by OrgCrime.....>ahem....y'see....they don't file tax returns....too busy expanding their marketshare). But then again we need the revenue to run the country so maybe we just have to grin ansd bear a lot of this stuff. Now those cannabis seeds in your window box could well be the seeds of destruction for our way of life as we know it. As the bishop said to the actress :..."it's all about context really".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Up to date report for the uninformed who scream about cannabis being soooooo harmful..........
    Harm study puts drink ahead of cocaine

By Cormac O’Keeffe
    Saturday, August 11, 2012

Alcohol is ranked as the fourth most harmful drug behind heroin, crack cocaine, and crystal meth, but ahead of cocaine, nicotine, ecstasy, and cannabis.
    The ranking is based on a survey of almost 300 health and social care professionals in Scotland and published as part of a paper in the British Medical Journal.

According to the survey of 19 legal and illegal substances:

Heroin is first for pers-onal harm, social harm, and combined harm;

Crack cocaine is ranked second for personal and combined harm and third for social harm;

Crystal meth is third for personal and combined harm, and fourth for social harm;

Alcohol is ranked fourth for personal and combined harm and second for social harm, ahead of crack.

Cocaine is ranked sixth, nicotine seventh, benzodiazepines (legal tranquillisers) eighth, amphetamines 11th, and codeine (a prescribed painkiller) 13th. Ecstasy is 16th and cannabis last, at 19th.

The authors said one of the strengths of the study was the large number (292) of health and social work professionals involved.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/harm-study-puts-drink-ahead-of-cocaine-203800.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

All drugs should be legal, not just cannabis.

Isn't it a bit hypocritical to pick and choose what you personally would like legalised but at the same time rubbish other cases for heroin and cocaine legalisation? I say legal them all and watch crime disappear almost overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Ahhhhh, relaxed now. yep cannabis should be legalized asap.

When you have the biggest drug dealers in every country in the world selling their nasty drugs legally i.e - pharmaceutical companies and then you see the humble cannabis herb blighted with illegality you have to wonder.

Every person in this country Ireland is a drug taker, if you take an anadin or a piraton for your hay-fever your taking drugs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

It's hard to take seriously a group of people who only lobby for the legalisation of their drug of choice.

flash1080 wrote: »
    It's hard to take seriously a group of people who only lobby for the legalisation of their drug of choice.

I have no hands-on good experience of crystal meth, so why should I lobby for it.

Would you vote for a candidate in a general election that you knew nothing good about?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

flash1080 wrote: »
    I think Cannabis legalisation is different from the legalisation of other drugs to some extent. There's many angles you can come at cannabis legalisation, there's the medical grounds, commercial grounds and recreational freedom grounds. For most other drugs the only angle is freedom.

Evil weed, destroyed Micahel Phelps....:rolleyes:

Jake1 wrote: »
    Evil weed, destroyed Micahel Phelps....:rolleyes:

and Usain bolt.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think Cannabis legalisation is different from the legalisation of other drugs to some extent. There's many angles you can come at cannabis legalisation, there's the medical grounds, commercial grounds and recreational freedom grounds. For most other drugs the only angle is freedom.
    Medical usage has absolutely nothing to do with legalisation on recreational grounds. I don't see the fact that diamorphine is widely used medically for easing pain, as a reason for legalising heroin

Advertisement