Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legalize Cannabis Ireland

Options
1404142434446»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭blackcard

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭myfreespirit

Oops.

The Norml Ireland website is gone, it seems:

"Domain Not Claimed

This domain has been mapped to Squarespace, but it has not yet been claimed by a website. If this is your domain, claim it in the Domains tab of your Website Manager."

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

I'm not one for drink and drugs, but I had a huge big spliff with my friends years ago and I have to say I had a wonderful night's sleep. Absolutely sank into the bed. I actually took a massive sh1t in bed in the middle of the night and didn't even wake up. Luckily I had a plastic sheet over the mattress so I just threw the sheets, blanket, the lot in the bin. Get it in the bin, lad. Half a hundredweight of Eritrean stink rope later and I put 2 and 2 together and realised it was the weed!

Post edited by Graces7 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It’s remarkable how backwards drug laws and the war on drugs are when you dig deep down into what they actually achieve.

They create criminals and victims:

-peoples producing the drug

-people moving the drugs

-people selling the drugs

-people enforcing the protection and defence elements of drug dealing

-people who take the drugs

-people and families caught up in the middle

Remarkable amounts of resources are invested in trying catch all these people out in a “war on drugs”. How effective is it? Does anybody actually think about it beyond the “drugs are bad” mantra? What are the pros to trying to regulate and legalise them? Why isn’t this being studied?

For anybody who wants to educate themselves , read up more sources about addiction and about the actual benefits (or lack of) of how re regulate “illegal drugs”. I bet most people don’t actually know why certain drugs are illegal other then having some sort of moral outrage sensor that was groomed from a young age to believe that Alchohol, tobacco and prescription drugs fine, all other drugs make you a bad person and not fine.

I could write for hours on this but peoples reluctance to actually discuss outside of the black/white boxes they view the world makes it difficult for progressive discussions.

If it’s about protecting our children , it’s doing a terrible job. Basically drug dealers are producing unregulated products that our children are getting. Legalise drugs and regulate the product and at least kids are protected somewhat from the poison that drug dealers are selling. If you think children as young as 11 aren’t getting access to drugs, you are extremely naieve.

If it’s about health, why is cannibas illegal and tobacco/vape and alcohol are not? The damage these drugs do to people and families on so many levels is actually dofficuit to quantify. As somebody who has been involved in many addiction support groups (alcohol) , the real lack of understanding of addiction and how our laws only make it worse is just so sad.

An alcoholic is not arrested for having alcohol in their possession. A person using other drugs is, both are using substances usually out of some sort or pain that society ignores or chooses to make their moral failing and leaves the addict to deal with it themselves. It’s one of the great shames of modern society, all there causes and body/race/gender shaming causes getting all this support but people poisoning themselves , usually due to untreated trauma, are shamed , shunned , blamed and arrested.

It’s really sad that there really is no progressive discussions or movement on this and if there is it’s very slow. Kind of like how the Catholic Church used to have such a mental power on people , the whole “illegal drugs are bad and you are bad if you take them” dogma needs to be challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭slither12

Can someone explain to me the cultural/political reasons why the continentals seem far more progressive on drug laws than Ireland or the UK?

I think it will take a while before cannabis for recreation ever gets here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Weed is great. Helps with spascitity and appetite and should be legalised. CBD dosen’t come close and it a heap of shyte imo

Post edited by cj maxx on

Interesting. Looking at a bottle of Hemp Oil capsules I bought yonks ago... When I was trading at a street market years ago I was offered cannabis to buy but said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

True, but according to Wikipedia it has happened in Canada, Georgia, South Africa, Malta, Uruguay and 21 states. I was in Thailand recently and it's legal there too and they have much stricter drug laws than us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm guessing old school Christian mis-beliefs and the fact that the older generation (the voting ones) are still victims of the bit of reefer madness that made its way over here. I'd also point a finger or two at the VFI and their buddies in gubbermint. Seeing as we have a large pharmaceutical industry which would be impacted, I'd say there's probably some pressure there (50% of all exports according to the IPHA).

It is unfortunate that we'll probably be the last in the EU to do it. We may have led the world on same sex marriage, but we're decades behind in cannabis legalisation. I want it because it would finally allow me to give up smoking completely because I'd have access to other forms, could grow my own and start spending money in the economy instead of going to dealers. And I don't want to be a criminal just because I smoke a plant and I don't put in or out with anyone.

Need to sort out the legislation for driving under the influence of cannabis first. Should be mandatory to have a road side impairment test, be it physical or the Drager.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Whats the Drager ?

• It needs to be heated to a certain temp to activate the thc. You can put it in a microwave to achieve that if you want it doesn’t need to go in butter specifically. I think ur supposed to give it a few mins in oven first anyway.

if you just eat a bud you might as well chew grass tbh

Roadside breath test devices, one does alcohol, the other does a range of drugs, both detect within the last 6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Aussie guy told me years ago that is terrible for your stomach and gut to eat it. Very tough fibres that do not break down easily so can damage the stomach lining and gut wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

If anyone offers you those cute tasty Colorado Wine Gums, unless you want to spend the next 3 hours confused, uncomfortable, feeling awkward or vulnerable, forgetting everything you were talking about and some feelings of hypertension manifested in mild shivering , just eat one. Avoid alcohol.

• Okay I’m all for looking at cannabis for the good it can do and I fully support decriminalisation or legislation but it weakens any argument for it when you say ridiculous things.

it may not be illegal to go out and drink, but no you can’t start fights and piss all over the street. Granted you wouldn’t want to after smoking a joint if you’re drinking that much it’s a different problem of your consumption of alcohol rather than alcohol itself being the problem.

I think also these constant weed vs alcohol arguments are pointless anyway. Both are very similar tbh. Alcohol is a depressant & weed could be considered a sedative, they both impair reaction and judgment. They can both give you a hangover (if you smoke a lot of weed you’ll still be residually high the next morning kinda like being hungover from drink).

It shouldn’t be a case of weed is better than [thing] because it doesn’t need to be one or the other & it’s not as if there’s some unspoken agreement in government that if we can just ban that damn alcohol we can have weed!!

It can and should be a discussion of the honest positives and negatives. Cannabis is not infallible it has negatives. Paranoia, dependency/addiction IS a thing, it’s expensive, it can cause cancer (smoking anything will cause lung disease and if you think weed is immune to that you’re deluded), it can cause memory loss in a big way and there’s more of course but at the same time there’s positives which have been researched and talked about plenty.

But it just really grinds my gears when pro cannabis people are completely unreceptive when the negatives are discussed. Yes it’s obviously different when things are just being made up by opposers but it’s not any better if you’re pro cannabis and you’re telling yourself it’s grand cos it’s just a white lie or you’ve actually deluded yourself into thinking cannabis has no negatives.

All that said it is mad that fags and drink are sold to adults and despite their enormous negative health effects it’s fine to sell (regulated sale but still) because it can only be sold to adults and they’re free to make these choices. But if someone wants to smoke the odd joint that’s not an acceptable choice to make and it’s very strange to me. Cannabis quite frankly is about as bad for your health as smoking the odd fag and the kind of inebriation on average of having a few cans. The main difference and why it’s more confusing it is not legal are the benefits that couple with the negative impact on your health.

TL;DR:

Cannabis should not be constantly compared to alcohol (or any other drug for that matter) and simply discussed on the pros and cons openly. Until that happens legislation is a pipe dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I thought he was looking for Alan Shatter's no. 😀

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Would you do the same for people who drink booze at the weekend, you will test positive for cannibis long after the affects have worn off unlike alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,567 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Went to the local dispensary here in Vancouver and picked up some lovely gummies. Some taste amazing, and depending on the strain, you get a good laugh out of them.

After consuming them, I did not get the "gateway" feeling to do something harder after it.

Ah but you've only started. It's the next gummy that'll get ya!

Also totally jealous you can just walk into a dispensary...

• Keep laughing pal next thing u know you’re sprinkling shatter on ur wheatabix

• Registered Users Posts: 11,567 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

They are brilliant and pretty good value as well. A pack of 4 gummies is about $7, that would do you for a few nights (depending on how stoned you want to be). Before my last tattoo, I took a load of CBD and I was very relaxed during it all.

It is so normal and accepted here, and the gov get a nice cut per sale. Packages are all standard as well and very basic, just like cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭polysteamtoken

It's actually very much like making jerky. You have to cure it. Leaving it in glass jars and opening them for a while each day for a few weeks. Much like a fine wine decent cannabis takes much love and care & is incredibly difficult to grow at times. Using a microwave or oven is what you do when you desperate for a smoke and have no other alternative so you take directly from your plant.

Advertisement