Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New graphics card

Options
  • 31-05-2011 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Looking to upgrade my sapphire hd 4650, two questions:

Is the 6870 a good choice for a 1280*1024 monitor? bear in mind i will probably be upgrading that in the future. I will want to be able to play new games comfortably at reasonably high settings

Is the 6870 worth the extra 40 euro or so over the 6850?
    All help appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

A 6850 will run pretty much any games at 1280x1024. What are you planning to upgrade to later on and what PSU do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

Just about to ask about my psu actually, its a silverstone 500w, reckon it can handle either of those?
    As for upgrading my monitor, i have no idea atm but was just wondering if i should go for the 6870 when it's only 40 euro extra

It depends on the exact model but silverstone are usually pretty good. Should be able to handle either of them. If you can get the model it would help though.

it's a silverstone st50f-es

Yeah that will run a 6870/6850 no problem.

• Advertisement

Capital! Cheers deconduo!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

The 6870 seems to offer around a 12% increase in performance in most new titles,these being games like Dirt 3 and Bad company 2 with resolutions off 1920 by 1200 and graphics on high.Your going to get excellent frame rate on the 6850,and so the extra 40 is probably not worth the 12% increase,and you are going to have a diminishing returns problem(40 Euro vs 12% increase).

Yeah i kinda thought thay myself! Looked up a few online reviews and went with the 6850, and now we wait:cool:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Even if you upgraded the monitor to a Full HD jobbie the HD6850 would do you well in almost anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Pix have a 6850 for a tiny bit over 100E. Personally I thought that was good value.

• Advertisement

Yep, i ordered mine from pixmania! 110 euro, seems to be good value compared to other 6850's

Advertisement