Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Boot Sales

Options
  • 31-05-2011 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

I love car boot sales. I was thinking it'd be a good idea to have a thread where we could let each other know if there are any coming up. Just editing my post, there's one on Monday (June 6th) in the Marist school grounds in aid of Wellington Hall renovations.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Ann22 wrote: »
    I love car boot sales. I was thinking it'd be a good idea to have a thread where we could let each other know if there are any coming up. I know there's one this Sunday in the Marist school grounds:).

Useful thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055759737

and more info here: http://collectireland.wordpress.com/

Do you have any more details about the one you mentioned? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Do you have any more details about the one you mentioned? :)

From the Democrat website...
    Wellington Hall family fun day
    RESIDENTS in the Dundalk area are invited to attend a family fun day and a car boot sale organised by The Wellington Hall Project in the Marist car park, St Mary’s Road on Bank Holiday Monday, June 6.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Was there not one in Laytown? I remember hearing of one a while ago, dont know if its still there.

Dundalk Car Boot Sale
    Fairways Hotel, Dublin Road, Dundalk

(In the Hotel Car Park)

Every Sunday from 11.00am to 4.00pm

Sellers: €10 cars
    Sellers can set-up from 9.00am – no prior booking needed.

Enquiries: (042) 932 1500
    email: info@fairways.ie

Marshes Shopping Centre
    Marshes Avenue, Dundalk
    (in taxi lane between SC and carpark)

Every Sunday from 10:00am - 2.00pm

Sellers: €5 per car

Further information: (042) 939 5250
    Email: administration@marshesshopping.com
    *Started in March so still building up.

Confirmed 1/6/2011

• Advertisement

There's three of them on in St Pat's Gaa grounds in Lordship on June 26, July 17, august 21 between 10-3. They're in aid of the Irish Heart Foundation. For further info contact Susan on 087-2559405 or Venora on 087-6479715.

The one in the Marist grounds on Monday will have activities for kids including a bouncy castle, face painting and a schools art competition. The cost of a pitch is €20 per car and €25 per van. I don't know what time it starts at.

Ann22 wrote: »
    The one in the Marist grounds on Monday will have activities for kids including a bouncy castle, face painting and a schools art competition. The cost of a pitch is €20 per car and €25 per van. I don't know what time it starts at.

Dundalk
    Family Fun Day & Car Boot Sale
    (In aid of The Wellington Hall Project)

At: The Marist Car Park, St Mary’s Road, Dundalk

On: Bank Holiday Monday, June 6th, 2011

There will be a variety of stalls and goods for sale, including books, toys, bric-a-brac, cakes, refreshments, plants and more. Activities for children will include a bouncy castle, face painting and a schools art competition.

The event is open to the public from 1.00pm – 4.30pm.

Anyone who would like to bring a car should arrive before 12.30pm.
    Sellers: €20 per car or €25 per van.
    All proceeds raised from the event will be used to restore Wellington Hall, the Georgian building on St Mary’s Rd.

For more information:
    email wellingtonhallproject@gmail.com
    or call (087)265 8592 or (087)985 6137 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭zookey

anyone got any up to date info on car boot sales in leinster area? :)

zookey wrote: »
    anyone got any up to date info on car boot sales in leinster area? :)

http://collectireland.wordpress.com/car-boot-sales/

and here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055759737&page=21

• Advertisement

Sorry for the short notice, just heard on the radio there's a car boot sale on today from 1-4 in Kilanny, Inniskeen, in Killanny Church Car Park from 1 to 4. Cars/ Jeeps/Vans = €10. All monies raised are going to Killanny Playground Development Fund. No need to book a space. Light refreshments will be available on the day. If you have any queries call Laura 087-2488490.

has anyone been to Balbriggan car boot sale last sunday 10th? just wondering was it as busy as the previous sunday as we were there at 7am & couldnt get a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

i'm hoping to sell some stuff at one of these in the next week or two. i was thinking probably the one in fairyhouse. this will be my first time so just wondering if anyone has any advice e.g. what time to get there at, are tables/stalls provided what time do most stalls pack up at etc?

balbriggan is very big & i think probably the best i'v only been once & had a good day but 2nd time we went we couldnt get in as it was already full & that was 7am!!.. gonna give it another shot this sunday & be there for 6am, will post how it went.. sorry dont know anything about selling at fairyhouse but balbriggan is way bigger.

Thanks for the info. Thinking of selling some stuff after a big clearout and I was wondering if anyone had any hints and tips. What sort of items sell the best? Do you need to have your own table / stall? As this will be my first car boot sale I'm not sure what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

has anyone been to Balbriggan car boot sale last sunday 10th? just wondering was it as busy as the previous sunday as we were there at 7am & couldnt get a place.
    I'm normally in Balbriggan at 9am on a Sunday with my son.

It's been mental the last few weeks. There's been very little new blood in terms of sellers as the regulars get there early, so I've been seeing the same ol' crap there for the past few weeks. Same with Fairyhouse.

When is the Bettystown boot on again, anyone?

If you mean the one in the Parochial Hall, Laytown, it's on every Sunday from 8.30am - 4.00pm until November.

Sellers: Cars €10 for regular traders and €15 for casual.

Further information: Ronnie on (041) 982 7992

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

If you mean the one in the Parochial Hall, Laytown, it's on every Sunday from 8.30am - 4.00pm until November.

Sellers: Cars €10 for regular traders and €15 for casual.

Further information: Ronnie on (041) 982 7992

Thanks was there a few weeks ago and looking promising. I wasn't sure if it was just a once a month affair.

yes u will need to bring a table, woodies have a handy snap in middle tresel table 49e the type used for a garden party.. i found clothes, shoes, handbags all great sellers, nobody showed any interest in books or cd,s much to my surprise.. some household stuff was good seller too.. its amazing what people buy tho so bring whatever u have..all the best hope ye have a good day ;-)

will be trying balbriggan again this sunday i hope to get a slot this time i have a lot of decent stuff to sell... not heard anythign about the bettystown one but will keep ear to ground

• Advertisement

well i had a very good day in ballbriggan.. did anyone else go & what sort of day did u have?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

well i had a very good day in ballbriggan.. did anyone else go & what sort of day did u have?

Hi zookey
    are there any hot food stalls there ? if there are, what stuff are they flogging.

cheers

shindig-jp wrote: »
    Hi zookey
    are there any hot food stalls there ? if there are, what stuff are they flogging.

cheers

hi.. yes there is one chippy van there but i dont know what they sell i only ever got a coffee once from it as i bring my own packed lunch & flask now lol butttt there is room for another definately... have u got a chip van? its a huge car boot sale and another chip van down far end of field would be handy as its a fair walk for traders to the other chip van.

Didn't go on Sunday myself, only went late to see what the set up was.It had started raining and a lot of people were leaving. To be honest I'm not sure as to what to expect, this will be the first time I've had a go. As the old saying goes, desperate times call for desperate measures and it will be mostly my own stuff. I have some clothes, shoes, handbags and bits and bobs. How do you work out what price to sell stuff at ? and also I will be on my own so I'm really nervous, is this advisable or should I take someone with me?. As you have more than likely worked out by now, I'm using my hubbies "Boards" account to post. Oh one final thing. are there any toilets on site, sorry for all the silly questions. Many thanks for all the good advice, Ger.

bren_mc wrote: »
    Didn't go on Sunday myself, only went late to see what the set up was.It had started raining and a lot of people were leaving. To be honest I'm not sure as to what to expect, this will be the first time I've had a go. As the old saying goes, desperate times call for desperate measures and it will be mostly my own stuff. I have some clothes, shoes, handbags and bits and bobs. How do you work out what price to sell stuff at ? and also I will be on my own so I'm really nervous, is this advisable or should I take someone with me?. As you have more than likely worked out by now, I'm using my hubbies "Boards" account to post. Oh one final thing. are there any toilets on site, sorry for all the silly questions. Many thanks for all the good advice, Ger.

hi again, yes i would advice u to bring someone else along with u, 2 pairs of eyes a good idea if u know what i mean lol also for some company...as for prices well i just ask for whatever i think sounds good for the item, the most i'v ever got for an item is about 5 or 6e, its surprising though how all those 1e and 2e's add up ;-) and as for toilets..ggrrr.. thats something i was very annoyed about last week, its only a wooden cabin, no locks on doors & very close to gents loos, no toilet tissue, floors littered with all sorts and not to mention the stench!.. its actually disgracefull concidering the amount of people who pay 20e in that gate & there's no decent toilet facilty, surely whoever is running the car boot could manage to rent a couple of porta loos from the intake at the gates??....but dont let that put u off, just dont drink to much while there lol, its good fun i love it and cant wait to get going again ;-)

anyone know if ballbriggan car boo tis busy on bank holiday weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

I went selling there yesterday. It was busy enough. We were lucky with the spot we got. Even though it meant we were boxed in until other sellers left, we were in a good stream of buyers, winded up making around 100.

@bren_mc important things are:
    Don't let sentiment get in the way of business.
    Overprice things a little to allow for haggling.
    Beware of people just trying to distract you while an associate nicks your stuff (why you need 2 pairs of eyes)
    Don't worry if people ask "how much?", then walk off when you tell them. There are a lot of timewasters like that and it doesn't necessarily mean you overpriced it. Anyone who actually wants something will offer you something, no matter how insulting the offer they are very brazen.
    Put the items generating the most interest in the most prominent positions possible. Once one or two people linger by your stall people will crowd around assuming you have something good!

We couldn't sell books or videos but we sold a good few dvds at a euro each. We also had a bargain (50c or less) box with old toys in it that had children dragging their parents over.

You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly, just be assertive with aggressive buyers (some will try to shove the money they want to pay into your hand and walk off with the item) and be prepared to have a 5 minute argument over a pricing disagreement of 10c! You'll be surprised what does and doesn't sell (we couldn't shift a big bucket of meccano for just €1).

was there as well.. had an ok day made 95e, it was pretty quiet compared to other times i been there.. getting hang of it now alright and its good fun, has anyone met the "bra man" yet??... very funny..... the only thing about ballbriggan car boot venue that really annoys me is the disgusting toilet facilities concidering the amout of money thats taken in at gates i'm sure they could hire a couple of porta loos or provide decent toilets ggrrrr!.....anyway, i'm already looking forward to the next sunday i can go its addictive! ;-)

They are addictive Zookey...The last one I went to, I bought 2 Revlon quartet eye shadow sets for €5! I also got 3 early seventies annuals-Bunty, Judy and Schoolfriend for €7.I was shaking handing over the money I was so excited.

• Advertisement

anybody know if Ballbriggan car boot sale is still running on sundays??

Advertisement