Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2004 VW Golf?

Options
  • 31-05-2011 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

is it worth spending the money on these cars rather than say an 06 or astra?? cos they are quite a bit dearer!! are they reliable? it has relatively low mileage.

just to note im referring to the 2004 - 2009 model of the VW golf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Golfs are more popular, hence the increased price. What Golf are you looking at in particular? The 1.4 petrol? 1.9 TDI? Or others?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

It honestly depends on how they've been treated over the years. Astras are pretty but id pick a golf anyday tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mac89

just noticed a typo there .. meant to say 06 clio or astra!! ....

was looking at a 1.4 petrol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Mac89 wrote: »
    just noticed a typo there .. meant to say 06 clio or astra!! ....

was looking at a 1.4 petrol!!

I know people on here can be overly negative about that engine sometimes...but I have it in my Polo, and don't have one positive word to say about it. I wouldn't be buying another one tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The clio belongs to the fiesta/ polo class, I.e below the astra/golf class. They're about 5 grand less new.

The vw has heritage on its side, a lot of people have fond memories of mk1 golfs and remember stories of old vws with intergalactic mileage on them. The opel just doesn't have this halo effect.
    People will pay big money for a golf regardless of how underpowered or bland it is. And that's fine. The sad thing is that people pay big money expecting the vw build quality and reliability of decades ago.

All things being equal the golf is still more desirable, it'll get you more respect from your peers, but the opel will cost less to buy. On the other hand it will be worth less than a golf when you sell.

Buy whichever one you prefer the look/drive of. Don't assume anything about either car.

Personally I'd go with the astra if its 1.4s you're after. Club or sxi spec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭golfbgud

Wouldn't touch another petrol 1.4 golf personally - heap of s@:%$

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brennarr

Had a 2004 Golf 1.4 myself. Loved the car but hated the engine.
    So so slow. Got myself a 2.0D now. Would never go back

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The newer 1.4 isn't actually as bad a the 1.4 that was in the Mk4's IIRC.

I'd buy one twenty times over i'd buy a 1.4 Astra, they're a disgusting car to drive imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

The newer 1.4 isn't actually as bad a the 1.4 that was in the Mk4's IIRC.

I'd buy one twenty times over i'd buy a 1.4 Astra, they're a disgusting car to drive imo.

The newer one was listed as 80bhp, the older one 75. I had one, trust me you don't notice the difference.

I'll second what you said about that old model Astra, worst car I've ever driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

mailforkev wrote: »
    The newer one was listed as 80bhp, the older one 75. I had one, trust me you don't notice the difference.

I'll second what you said about that old model Astra, worst car I've ever driven.

I had a Mk4, the mother had a Mk5. Little difference there may be, anyone who buys a 1.4 isn't going to be doing any mad over taking or speeding.

If you wants a nice bit of power the 1.4 TSI 122 bhp has plenty of go for it's size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mailforkev wrote: »

by old model astra you mean the 04-10 model?
    Never found them bad to drive (have driven 1.4, 1.7d) and found them grand, certainly not bad.

Advertisement