Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STamp Duty on Credit Cards

Options
  • 31-05-2011 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi,

I have had an ulster bank credit card for 18 months, last April I paid my €30 stamp duty, I again paid my €30 stamp duty in April 2011, I was looking to end the card as I dont like banking with them. I called up to cancel today and they where looking for me to pay an additional €30 for next years stamp duty? Is this correct, this would mean i would have paid 3 stamp duties on a card i only held for 18 months?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Trampas

have you used the cc?

if so they you have to pay the duty. if not then you are ok.

if you pay it now and get a new cc somewhere else just get a receipt and you won't need to pay on the new one for this year

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

When they say next year its relating to the period 1st April 2011 onwards. You would be liable. Pity you didn't cancel on or before 1st April just gone.

If you move to another card then you can ask for a letter and the new company will waive the annual government levy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 snackbox 360

i phoned santander credit card in march to cancell my card and got a verbal from some guy in india saying yes its cancelled ,now ive got a bill with interest demanding the government stamp duty,rang santander via india spoke to a very bad english speaking girl who said i had,nt cancelled my card,is there any come back,and what does this mean for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭caddy16

Trampas wrote: »
    have you used the cc?

if so they you have to pay the duty. if not then you are ok.

if you pay it now and get a new cc somewhere else just get a receipt and you won't need to pay on the new one for this year

Incorrect information. Once the card is open for any part of the year (for cc stamp duty purposes runs from 1st April - 31st march) you are liable for the €30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 snackbox 360

i phoned santander credit card in march to cancell my card and got a verbal from some guy in india saying yes its cancelled ,now ive got a bill with interest demanding the government stamp duty,rang santander via india spoke to a very bad english speaking girl who said i had,nt cancelled my card,is there any come back,and what does this mean for me?
    :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement