Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, where dya'll work?

Options
  • 31-05-2011 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭

Hey, still sort of new to Clearasil & Hormones, and am aware that quite a few of ya's are still in school in or too young to work but thought this might make for an interesting thread nonetheless. For those of you's that do work, what's your occupation?

For me, it's occasional work down the new Aviva Stadium. It can be great craic at times, and some of the people ya meet can be memorable. Also gives ya the chance to say you were at this event or that event, eg. the Europa Cup Final. Personally, It's a grand bit of work, and fits in well with keeping up with college and friends. Might miss a few nights out as a result, but nothing major. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Redlion wrote: »
    Hey, still sort of new to Clearasil & Hormones, and am aware that quite a few of ya's are still in school in or too young to work but thought this might make for an interesting thread nonetheless. For those of you's that do work, what's your occupation?

For me, it's occasional work down the new Aviva Stadium. It can be great craic at times, and some of the people ya meet can be memorable. Also gives ya the chance to say you were at this event or that eventm eg. the Europa Cup Final. Personally, It's a grand bit of work, and fits in well with keeping up with college and friends. Might miss a few nights out as a result, but nothing major. :)

I wouldn't brag about that tbh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

callaway92 wrote: »
    I wouldn't brag about that tbh :p
    Better than saying I was sitting on Boards.ie that night :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I work in a creche/playschool but not for much longer :(

Redlion wrote: »
    Better than saying I was sitting on Boards.ie that night :p

50/50 imo

Asphyxia wrote: »
    I work in a creche/playschool but not for much longer :(
    Why's that?
    50/50 imo
    To be honest, the game wasn't good, but the atmosphere for the match was amazing. Probably one of the best for a football match yet in the Aviva, the other being the FAI Ford Cup final. You just can't experience that level of intensity in a football ground from your TV screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I've often worked on building sites with my father (Hes a plasterer) and I worked in my local Supervalu for 3 days but never got anymore hours. Currently looking for a job but everywhere seems to have hired recently, so it doesn't look like I'll get anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

:mad: Mr. "I have a job"; Coming in here, taunting us unemployed bums about work..... *continues self-righteous grumbling*

Past part-time jobs have included: office assistant at a law firm, sales assistant at a music shop (only over Christmas period though) and, most recently, correcting problem sets for 1st year students. They were all pretty nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I do bar work when I can get it!

I give grinds!

I work in Ann Summers!

I'm a very busy girl....

:mad: Mr. "I have a job"; Coming in here, taunting us unemployed bums about work..... *continues self-righteous grumbling*
    I'd find it very hard to taunt someone with a job that offers on average 2 days of work a month :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I work as a restaurant manager 4 days a weak long nights

I work as a DJ 1 day a weak love the job and extra long nights thank god I have the girl friends house to stay in

The worst about working two jobs that is all night work is that I never sleep like last weaked I did not get to bed to 7am on Saturday night because I worked from 2pm to 11pm then DJ from 12pm to 3am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Currently in a shop at the Pitch and Putt club. Pretty handy tbh :D

Previously I used to fix phones in The vodafone shop here for one summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Awhhhh someone give me a real job this Summer.

All I have lined up is unpaid work in a nursing home aaaaaaaaand my current minding-old-people stuff .

Real job real job real job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I work in the Aviva stadium too, it's handy enough.

Then I work as floor staff in a pub too, I hate it though and will hopefully be leaving it soon enough, as I've my first night in a new job tomorrow evening. The new one is further away and not as handy but pays better.

I've been looking for a full time one since I left college in January, but haven't been able to get one so my mix of a few jobs has had to do me for saving up for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

bythewoods wrote: »
    Awhhhh someone give me a real job this Summer.

All I have lined up is unpaid work in a nursing home aaaaaaaaand my current minding-old-people stuff .
    D'you have to do that for medicine or are you doing it voluntarily? I was thinking of doing it for some experience but I'd be worried cleaning reluctant old people (for free) could be my last straw after the LC...(yes, yes, I realise in medicine it'll be a lot worse).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

actualy lads interested in what u think....working a lot recently, like 40 hr week, its a summer job. i really dont need these kinda hours but its grand in short term like next month and a bit but thinkin of giving up around mid july. will have about 3 grand id say and also work in aviva which will keep me tickin over for a long while...wat u guys think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I'm employed to a small petrol station mini-mart/ shop but I did my last shift almost four years ago. I'll get round to collecting my p45 sooner or later. :/

partyndbs wrote: »
    actualy lads interested in what u think....working a lot recently, like 40 hr week, its a summer job. i really dont need these kinda hours but its grand in short term like next month and a bit but thinkin of giving up around mid july. will have about 3 grand id say and also work in aviva which will keep me tickin over for a long while...wat u guys think

Tbh, I'd keep it on as long as you can. Unless you're miserable in it you might be better off saving the money aor a rainy day. Are you in/planning to go to college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

ye in college but its not like u have a part time job for a rainy day u just have it to get locked/buy clothes etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Working 9 to 5, that's the way I make my liiiiiiiiiving..

Working for the government atm, soon to be terminated on June 22.. Then once September returns I'll be working for them again..

Can't give much more info, very top secret, probably have to kill you if I told you.

partyndbs wrote: »
    ye in college but its not like u have a part time job for a rainy day u just have it to get locked/buy clothes etc....

Trust me, the day will come when you need a nest egg!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Work in a hole of a petrol station that's way too far away from me, the job is fine, just shelves/till, easy work, just a pain in the arse to get to. I hate it for other reasons.

Have an interview tomorrow? Hoping for the best tbh >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

jumpguy wrote: »
    D'you have to do that for medicine or are you doing it voluntarily? I was thinking of doing it for some experience but I'd be worried cleaning reluctant old people (for free) could be my last straw after the LC...(yes, yes, I realise in medicine it'll be a lot worse).

No no. I think you can do an elective in a nursing home after 3rd year if you want, but it's certainly not compulsory. At all.

I like old people. Lots.

Honestly wouldn't recommend doing it just for experience or whatever, unless you want to of course. It's totally not necessary as far as the course goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Fad wrote: »
    Work in a hole of a petrol station
    I did not just read that as "I work on a pole in a hetro station".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Lawliet wrote: »
    I did not just read that as "I work on a poll in a hetro station".

I do that at night.

I work as a restaurant manager 4 days a weak long nights

I work as a DJ 1 day a weak love the job and extra long nights thank god I have the girl friends house to stay in

The worst about working two jobs that is all night work is that I never sleep like last weaked I did not get to bed to 7am on Saturday night because I worked from 2pm to 11pm then DJ from 12pm to 3am

WHERE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

WHERE?

Where ever i can get booked because its so hard for a bar or a nightclub to book you when your 19 and play very little chart music. Must of my work come from the indie nights around the town i work in and must of the time i dont even get paid for it and if i do its very little. The only way i got booked the 1st time is because i know the bar manager very well

In the town where i am from the main bar will not even speak to me even for free so i am in look if i get a day or two here or there

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

I work in a hotel ,so I am a bar floor person there at weekend in the hotel bars and nightclub, and I work as a waitress in the hotel dining room during the week. I work split shifts there so it's like 7-11am then back in for 6-10pm, so it's pretty crap as you can't do much during the day!

I started a second job last night in a restaurant/ ice-cream place , and was then rang by my boss in the hotel saying he will be giving me more hours... So my two jobs are going to clash for def. Disaster. And all year long there was no work-typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I used to do catering work and work in a resteraunt,Pay was crap,job wasn't the worst but the owner was really moody and would take out her bad mood on who ever she picked at random.Delighted to be out of there.

Working in a resteraunt in a home furnishings store now.Sooooo much better.Everyones lovely,the manahers are grand and the pay is a bit above minimum wage.It's handy for me because I do 16 hours when im in college but now that its summer im getting extra hours and they always put me in for extra hours when I've college holidays and the like.I complain about it sometimes but over all its a grand number.And because i'm permanent it'll be there all through college.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I work in an industrial laundry, fairly boring - put 250 sheets into a machine every hour. However, i'm getting about 32 hours a week, I wouldn't mind getiing the 40 hours though... Its hand €8.65 an hour.

During college it goes down dramatically about 4 or 5 hours only, on a Saturday :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I worked in a toy shop for about nine months or so when I was seventeen. I didn't really like it, didn't get on with the other and felt the manager was only nice to me because of my dad. In saying that it could be fun sometimes and the hours were good.

The only other job I've had is au pairing which sucked.

This summer I might be getting a job in a hostel in a town called Nerja by the sea. It would be so super awesome. :D If I don't get it I'm just going to go home and try to volunteer in charity shop or something for experience

Advertisement