Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, where dya'll work?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

partyndbs wrote: »
    why like? dont u wanna enjoy the best months of the year in ireland. work takes up too much time
    You have alot to learn young man/woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Thread merged with the job thread from last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Also, winter is under-rated.

Fact. I'm not a summer fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

College, PLC or repeating school next year.
    I plan on building my very first computer and splashing out on new cans and audio stuff.
    No i wouldnt give it up.
    My job will be great. My summer will be even better.
    If it's taking up to much time then organise a better shift sceme with your employer.
    Not all of us are drowning in our own sea of wealth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

I work in a kids shoe shop about four days a week. The moneys pretty good, my boss and I get on really well and the hours are really sociable compared to my last job so I can't really complain. I also get work every Saturday when I'm in college so that's incredibly handy. I've made enough money this year to go to Berlin,Vienna, Slovakia in Setember, Lille in October and Rome next January.

I also bought a Macbook last month but I think I'm going to sell it on and get an iMac instead.

I am the worlds BEST saver!:oI make sure that not a penny of what i earn goes on nights out. Not a cent. I make my money for going out with my friends by babysitting.

I'd love to get barwork in college next year aswell, the extra money could probably go towards more travelling/ a car.

I <3 MONIES.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jhax

Can anyone gimme some advice, I'm 19 goin for my first job, I plan on getting a pretty decent looking cv going even though I've no experience, I'm also gonig to be writing a cover letter for each place I apply. I'm new to this dropping in a CV thing, my first extinct is to just hand it in to somebody whos working because I'm kinda new to this but I feel that's a bit lazy and gives a bad impression. Should I go out of my way to talk to the manager/person in charge or should I just politely hand it in to the person at the counter and move on to the next shop?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Jhax wrote: »
    Can anyone gimme some advice, I'm 19 goin for my first job, I plan on getting a pretty decent looking cv going even though I've no experience, I'm also gonig to be writing a cover letter for each place I apply. I'm new to this dropping in a CV thing, my first extinct is to just hand it in to somebody whos working because I'm kinda new to this but I feel that's a bit lazy and gives a bad impression. Should I go out of my way to talk to the manager/person in charge or should I just politely hand it in to the person at the counter and move on to the next shop?

Thanks in advance.

If you don't have any experience, then it's definitely a good idea to ask for a manager if at all possible. For one thing, you guarantee that your CV at least gets to the manager. Sometimes, even people with the best intentions forget to give them to the manager when they're working, especially if the shop is busy.

Leaving a good impression on the manager by meeting them early on in the morning, well dressed/presented (very important), when the shop isn't too busy, will give your chances a boost. It'll say something about you, maybe counterbalancing the fact that your CV's going to be a bit bare.

Also, meeting a manager's a smart move because they'll tell you straight out whether you've got any chance of a job, so you won't be waiting around for a job that won't come. If the employee asks you if you want to hand in the CV, it won't do any harm to leave it in, but I would recommend you follow it up and speak to the manager at a different time if that's the case.

Keep the cover letter brief, giving basic details about yourself, what you're doing at that time (school, university etc.) and your availability. Source CVs layouts from friends or family members (especially employed ones!) so you've got a good base to work from. Finally, best of luck with the hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Thanks in advance.

Do it at a time when shops wont be busy, weekday mornings. Don't bother trying to talk to a manager if everyone is run off their feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jhax

Thanks for the advice going in early in the morning is something I wouldn't have thought of and its a really good idea!

Thanks for the advice going in early in the morning is something I wouldn't have thought of and its a really good idea!

Early in the week is good as well, they're always more positive then! I've worked in retail for three and a half years :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Have been working in TCD, doing some programming for one of my lecturers, for the past month. Finished now, and will be tutoring 5 hours a week in Maths for the forseeable future, which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

What I wouldn't do for a decent job:( I've no experience and it's impossible to get a job in Cork without it. Anyone who I know who has a job knows someone who got it for them in the first place. Don't stand a chance against people who have someone to give them a shoe in:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Id say a lot of people got jobs through who they know rather than What they know :/
    Not much you can do about it im afraid...

It's unfortunate! I handed out ~30 CVs last year, and got 1 call back, from which I was unsuccessful in the interview. My bf walked into a job at the end of the summer without any effort because his neighbour is a manager. It annoyed me a little at the time tbh.

/jealous rant:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

_meehan_ wrote: »
    It's unfortunate! I handed out ~30 CVs last year, and got 1 call back, from which I was unsuccessful in the interview. My bf walked into a job at the end of the summer without any effort because his neighbour is a manager. It annoyed me a little at the time tbh.

/jealous rant:pac:

Seriously, getting a job is all about connections. I only got my one because the woman in charge of hiring knows my family.

It's great for those who have connections, but if you don't, there's nothing you can do to build them as such. My family aren't the "connections type" I suppose!:o

It's great for those who have connections, but if you don't, there's nothing you can do to build them as such. My family aren't the "connections type" I suppose!:o

I haven't used any connections to get any of my jobs.

kateos2 wrote: »

Same.
    The only reason I have a job now is because I bothered to go out and get one five years ago. Then I got one which offered more money. Then I turned 16 and I had 18 months experience on my CV so I was taken on and started in retail. Three years later and I've worked for two of the biggest high-street shops (in their respective fields) in Ireland and Britain. And I'm on pretty good money.

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Same.
    The only reason I have a job now is because I bothered to go out and get one five years ago. Then I got one which offered more money. Then I turned 16 and I had 18 months experience on my CV so I was taken on and started in retail. Three years later and I've worked for two of the biggest high-street shops (in their respective fields) in Ireland and Britain. And I'm on pretty good money.

Yeah mine's similar. Got my first job when I was 16. Recession made me lose that, but I had just turned 18 and had 2 years experience, made it much easier to get another job, then as they say it's always easier to get a job when you have one. I started out in a kids adventure centre and I'm now working at a pretty decent wage in a nice theatre. I've worked a few other places in between, but I'm happy where I am now. The people are nice, the money is pretty good and I enjoy the work.

Yeah mine's similar. Got my first job when I was 16. Recession made me lose that, but I had just turned 18 and had 2 years experience, made it much easier to get another job, then as they say it's always easier to get a job when you have one. I started out in a kids adventure centre and I'm now working at a pretty decent wage in a nice theatre. I've worked a few other places in between, but I'm happy where I am now. The people are nice, the money is pretty good and I enjoy the work.

That's why it annoys me when friends bitch about not being able to get jobs.

'Oh, there are no jobs!'
    'Yes there are, but nobody wants you because you have no experience because you never bothered getting off your lazy ass when times were good.'

I started in my current job July 24th last year. It's only a 4hr/week contract but I always get more. NINE people were interviewed for my job and they gave it to an 18 year old. Just goes to show being funded by Mammy and Daddy gets you nowhere.

• Advertisement

Yeah, sure in the last year alone I've gotten 3 jobs. I'm still working in two of them. The majority of my friends are working too and have been for ages. Two managed to get full time summer jobs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

go through your Boyfriend ;)

You're really lucky. Well done for being able to get jobs on your own merit.
    SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Same.

Well done on being so successful!

Five years ago, I was only 13. I was too young to get a proper job at that stage. My parents wouldn't let me work when I was 16, and by the time I turned 17, there was nada. Having no experience sucks, nobody wants to take you on. I'm not lazy at all, I was just too young to have a job when the times were good, and that goes against me.
    go through your Boyfriend ;)

Maybe when he leaves..:P

When is the best time to start applying for Christmas jobs, does anyone know? September/October?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I haven't ever had success when I applied for jobs. In the case of all the jobs I've had, somebody has asked me, generally without me expecting it at all. Quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I had two jobs and I used to babysit during the weekend :)
    Now I very rarely babysit and i have no hours whatsoever in either job :( It's such a pain!

I have a little babysitting as well, usually once a week. But they only ever stay out for 2 hours on the dot, meaning I get paid next to nothing.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

I have 3 jobs at the moment and have gotten one of them through a connection , but got the other two all on my own :) It's a hard life though, this weekend I worked sat 8-4pm , 11-4am and then had work Sunday morn 7-3pm. Thought I was going to collapse, came home crying!

The job I get most of my hours in is as an accommodation assistant in a 5 star hotel, I get 8hrs 5 days a week there. It's hell. But the pay is great!

I applied for a job as an accommodation assistant in a hotel in Cork..haven't heard anything back from them yet though. I also applied for a job in a new Awear shop opening near me..nothing back from them either:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

I have applied for maybe 40 jobs over the last few months in places that have been hiring but unfortunately no luck.

Like meehan I wasn't allowed work when I was 16 because I had a lot of other things going on, although I did apply for maybe four or five jobs with no success. Now because the good times are gone I have no experience and nobody is willing to hire me. I don't have any real connections to work off of either.

I'd really love a job just to stay occupied for the summer and obviously the money but I'm having zero success. Sigh :(

Next summer after 1st year of college I'm going to San Fran for work.!

Hate this country!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Handing out CV's this summer feels like handing out blank sheets. Nothing is happening, which is depressing to be honest because there are some times where I think to myself "I'd do a better job than ____" :(

Advertisement