Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, where dya'll work?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Handing out CV's this summer feels like handing out blank sheets. Nothing is happening, which is depressing to be honest because there are some times where I think to myself "I'd do a better job than ____" :(

I get like that sometimes too.:( Or whenever I come across some ignorant, rude employee somewhere, I can't help but wonder "how did you get a job with an attitude like that?":(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Handing out CV's this summer feels like handing out blank sheets. Nothing is happening, which is depressing to be honest because there are some times where I think to myself "I'd do a better job than ____" :(

Save money man! When we finish first year we're off, Vancouver, Melbourne or Cupertino (near San Fran). You pick. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

After applying for 20+ summer jobs I think it's time to give up as there's only 6 weeks I can now work for. I tried loads of places, Some seemed promising but then contact stopped. Others I heard nothing from. And when I tried tescos they refused to take my CV cause it was costing them to much to send letters to all the CV they were receiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Before I got any of my jobs I must have handed out dozens of cv's. I applied anywhere and everywhere, even if they didn't have signs up. Its not like the first interview I went to and got a job. I think I went to close to 15. It's not easy, it's horrible and you rarely hear back from employers, even after interview stage. HR in Ireland is crap. If you keep trying you will get something eventually it's just a matter if putting in the leg work.

Also, I've found I've gotten more interviews from applying for stuff online than handing CV's into shops. But yeah job hunting is horrible, I couldn't even manage to get a job in mcdonald's at one point. Just keep trying. If you can work during school/college it's probably easier to get something part time throughout the year as opposed to summer when everyone is applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Yeah I've been told that applying online is the best way, and lots of companies only accept online applications now. I'm gonna keep trying throughout the summer as stuff arises, but at this stage, I think it'll be Christmas before I'll realistically get a job anywhere, if at all.

It's very hard if you're 18/19 and missed out on the good times. Stupid recession:(

Karma should be kicking in soon, I've been making a ridiculous amount of effort!

• Advertisement
Advertisement