Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Council - Vacant Seat

• 31-05-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Has the seat vacated by David Cullinane on Waterford City Council been filled yet? I remember reading somewhere that former Councillor Joe Kelly was in line for it. I assume he has it at this stage? Does it have to be a SF seat or can it be contested like a bye election?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Next meeting isn't for a while. It will be decided then. Joe Kelly would probably be the internal favourite but I'd imagine there's a few local activists within the party who would like the opportunity too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

The seat will be filled by someone co-opted by the local Sinn Féin organisation. Think it's due to happen in the next couple of weeks. I know people will probably see it as being completely biased but I think Joe is the best choice. Whoever is chosen will be the sole representative of Sinn Féin in Waterford for three years. It doesn't make any sense to out someone in there who will have to start from scratch. There's a lot to learn and I think it'd be a better move tactically to put someone in who can hit the ground running. The only such person is Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MoodRacer

nkay1985 wrote: »
    The seat will be filled by someone co-opted by the local Sinn Féin organisation. The only such person is Joe.

Guess not......:mad:

http://www.waterford-today.ie/waterford-today-news/13139-waterford-councillors-to-join-gaza-flotilla-collr-pat-fitzgerald-and-collr-john-hearne-13139.html

I thought Joe K was the favourite? What happened here??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

MoodRacer wrote: »

There was a vote where all local Sinn Féin members could vote to decide who they wanted to replace Cullinane. They decided that should be John Hearne, rather than Joe Kelly.

Words can't express how wrong I think this decision is but it's one that's democratically taken. I'm sure John will do certain parts of the job well but I really don't think he's up to being the party's sole representative in the city.

Advertisement