Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

second cut silage

• 31-05-2011 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭

with grass growth so good and the fear of a drought coming i decided to mow 15acres of paddocks that i cut on the 3rd of may for first cut silage.
    i never remember a year so good for growth

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Fair going..Any chance of pics? But the nitrogen is hardly gone down yet is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

stanflt wrote: »
    with grass growth so good and the fear of a drought coming i decided to mow 15acres of paddocks that i cut on the 3rd of may for first cut silage.

let me get this straight , you done your 1st cut on the 3rd of may and your already starting the second cut in the same field ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭stanflt

irishh_bob wrote: »
    let me get this straight , you done your 1st cut on the 3rd of may and your already starting the second cut in the same field ?

yes same field-cover is only 2200 but its surplus- need to get it back in rotation in case of dry weather-

pajero12 wrote: »
    Fair going..Any chance of pics? But the nitrogen is hardly gone down yet is it?

fairly light in fairness

fairly light in fairness
    Light alright but still good going for a month! Is it going into a pit or bales?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we too have a good bit of grass on our hands but we strip grazed it ...alot of lads have no grass and we are lucky as we have wet land... if the dry weather does come there will be alot of lads looking for alot of feeding

whelan1 wrote: »
    we too have a good bit of grass on our hands but we strip grazed it ...alot of lads have no grass and we are lucky as we have wet land... if the dry weather does come there will be alot of lads looking for alot of feeding

thats why im making it now so it will be preserved in time-

Light alright but still good going for a month! Is it going into a pit or bales?

pit all the way- cant stand baled silage- only draw back was opening the first cut this evening after mowing all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

thats why im making it now so it will be preserved in time-
    we have half a pit from last year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

You have now officially joined the ranks of that most elite club, the IFJ's "better farmers".
    Congratulations. Second crop taken less than four weeks after first cut.

Me, never had such poor growth. Hardly a drop of rain from mid March to end of April, followed by a wet, windy, cold May. Hailstones Sunday and yesterday. Silage ground only very middeling. Grazing like a golf course.

• Advertisement

Tora Bora wrote: »
    You have now officially joined the ranks of that most elite club, the IFJ's "better farmers".

Me, never had such poor growth. Hardly a drop of rain from mid March to end of April, followed by a wet, windy, cold May. Hailstones Sunday and yesterday. Silage ground only very middeling. Grazing like a golf course.

how often do you reseed- we operate a 7year on all the farm regardless

pit all the way- cant stand baled silage- only draw back was opening the first cut this evening after mowing all day
    Ah so it'll be put through a rake? How was it preserving?

Ah so it'll be put through a rake? How was it preserving?

a rake:eek: my jf900 would do some grunting

Sorry, thought it was a jag that lifted your silage too :D

Sorry, thought it was a jag that lifted your silage too :D

that was the first cut when i smelled the rain coming:D and paniced
    good job too;)

that was the first cut when i smelled the rain coming:D and paniced
    good job too;)

Ah there a beast altogether :) but they say your chop length is better for the cows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

would you not be better off grazing that now and mow some where else. they would eat 2200 aftergrass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Tora Bora wrote: »

I am the same. Very poor growth. Havnt had a decent bit of rain at all.
    Land is rock hard. Reseeded ground very poor and meadows middling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

is that a PRG sward? Yours months growth looks more like our yearly growth so far

Advertisement