Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commerce Degree

• 31-05-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Thinking of doing a commerce degree in NUIG. It's 3 years long so I'll still be 20 when I'm finished so I'll probably do a postgrad.

What jobs can I get out of it? Could I get in to investment banking or some sort of financey career?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

im doing the same except in ucd...as is a known course to help you get investment banking in london and new york...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 VARIEGATED GIRL

Thinking of doing a commerce degree in NUIG. It's 3 years long so I'll still be 20 when I'm finished so I'll probably do a postgrad.

What jobs can I get out of it? Could I get in to investment banking or some sort of financey career?

I just finished my first year of Commerce in NUIG. I'll also be 20 when I'm finished, so thinking of doing a masters or a H.DIP. :) Commerce is so broad and the course gives you a taste of all aspects of business. However I found it to be pretty maths based but you seem to like finance. am when you get to third year you have to specialize in your favourite aspect, which can be: Accounting, Economics, Markrting, Management or Management Information systems.
    YES, you can get into a finance career especially if you specialize in Accounting, as in working for firms like KPMG. well, i'm pretty sure you can anyways, but then again I've only one year done:o I hope this was some help!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I just finished my first year of Commerce in NUIG. I'll also be 20 when I'm finished, so thinking of doing a masters or a H.DIP. :) Commerce is so broad and the course gives you a taste of all aspects of business. However I found it to be pretty maths based but you seem to like finance. am when you get to third year you have to specialize in your favourite aspect, which can be: Accounting, Economics, Markrting, Management or Management Information systems.
    YES, you can get into a finance career especially if you specialize in Accounting, as in working for firms like KPMG. well, i'm pretty sure you can anyways, but then again I've only one year done:o I hope this was some help!:)

Is the maths really hard?. And if you haven't done accounting for the LC would I find it difficult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 VARIEGATED GIRL

Is the maths really hard?. And if you haven't done accounting for the LC would I find it difficult?

well I did ordinary level for the LC and got a B2, but I found the commerce maths exceptionally difficult, especially matrices and statistics. But like if you put in the work and actually go to lectures it makes a HUGE difference!!
    I didnt do accounting or economics for the leaving, so I was put nto 'accounting B'- it means accounting for students who didnt study it before, its the same as accountingA just at a more explained pace, the lecturer I had was so approachable and she explained everything so well! I'm not going to lie, it is difficult but if you keep on top of the workload you will be suprised how everything links! HOPE THIS HELPS :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

well I did ordinary level for the LC and got a B2, but I found the commerce maths exceptionally difficult, especially matrices and statistics. But like if you put in the work and actually go to lectures it makes a HUGE difference!!

Bad news for next year then - the stats is faaar more difficult.
    The matrix stuff is fairly handy to be fair: product of matrices, and Gauss-Jordan elimination and application thereof is about all that's on the course. If you get Linear Programming for the LC, then the matrix stuff shouldn't provide any difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭yesman2000

The Maths & Stats is very soft. I would have never considered myself overly strong at maths and managed 82 in the exams. In fairness the work during the year in the module might be a bit challenging at times but the exam itself is simple, could predict next year's paper right now :rolleyes:

Advertisement