Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good alarm course?

Options
  • 31-05-2011 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm interested in doing an alarm course in Dublin soon. I've found a few listed online but could anyone reccommend a good one from personal experience? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

You are better off doing an apprenticeship in FAS but as far as I know you will be sent down the country to do this. This will cover all aspects of the security industry plus you will get your papers at the end of it. The courses in the likes of high tech and so cover the basics, nothing you would not learn with hands on experience with everyday installs. They are a waste of money in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭paulcdub85

altor wrote: »
    You are better off doing an apprenticeship in FAS but as far as I know you will be sent down the country to do this. This will cover all aspects of the security industry plus you will get your papers at the end of it. The courses in the likes of high tech and so cover the basics, nothing you would not learn with hands on experience with everyday installs. They are a waste of money in my opinion.

Thanks but I am already a sparks just have no experience of alarms, would you reccomend any sites online to learn from?

paulcdub85 wrote: »
    Thanks but I am already a sparks just have no experience of alarms, would you reccomend any sites online to learn from?

I would but you have already found it :D

What I would suggest is buying a panel and some components and messing around with it at home. If you do have any questions you will get all the answers you need here.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭paulcdub85

altor wrote: »
    I would but you have already found it :D

What I would suggest is buying a panel and some components and messing around with it at home. If you do have any questions you will get all the answers you need here.

lol thanks altor. From what i've read the HKC is a good wireless/wired alarm could you suggest another couple?

paulcdub85 wrote: »
    lol thanks altor. From what i've read the HKC is a good wireless/wired alarm could you suggest another couple?

The likes of the HKC Securewave, Signet should cover you for most panels setting up and programming, adding wire free sensors, adding wired sensors, setting up zones. No need to go mad buying a lot of different makes. If you need any engineer manuals to get you going send me a P.M :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Buying a panel and playing around with it is not great advice for someone looking to get in to the security business
    You will need proper on the job training coupled the theory that goes with it.
    Manufacturers are only too happy to provide basic training on their products while others like tavcom, hi-tech etc provide the rest

I would not advise going near high tech. Waste of money. You will learn more here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

The op will need training that he can put on his sr40, saying that he will learn more here is plain nonsense

A certificate of training off any manufacturer on any alarm system used by the OP would be good enough for SR:40.

I would hate to see the OP waste his money on a high tech alarm course.

Advertisement