Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh, dried chillies and hot sauces. Where?

Options
  • 31-05-2011 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I'm looking for stores in Dublin that sell different types of dried and fresh chillies, like chipotle, ancho, aji amarillo, big jim, inca berry and so on.

If they would sell different hot sauces that would be great to.

Chipotle in adobo sauce is also on the list of thins that I'm trying to find.

Thanks for your help

Peter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I get chipotles in adobo in Taco Taco in the Epicurean Food Hall, Azteca on Dame Street & Fallon & Byrne on Exchequer Street (F&B are the most expensive option here). Azteca & Fallon & Byrne also have dried chilis. The guy who runs Azteca imports giant bags of different chilis for his restaurant & I don't think he'd be adverse to doing you a pick n mix :) Some tescos that stock their 'Ingredients' range (the bigger the Tesco the more likely it is that you'll get a good selection) stock an ok range of dried chilis, I've gotten Ancho Chilis in Tesco Jervis before.

For fresh chilis try Indian, Pakistani & African stores, you'll find a great selection along Moore street. Saw a lady buy a full carrier bag of scotch bonnets in the shop nearest Lidl on Moore street last week - would love to know what she was cooking with so many!

Not 100% sure about the hot sauces but those places would probably stock some. Boojum in the Millenium arcade have a cool range of hot sauces for their burritos, but I don't know if they sell them seperately

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

there's another thread about this on here somewhere... I get dried chilis online from south devon chili farms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pedda

Thanks for your help...

I'm heading out for some chili shopping this weekend. :-)

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Aldi do little boxes with a selection of 5/6 fresh chillis with a card in them identifying which is which.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

CiaranC wrote: »
    Aldi do little boxes with a selection of 5/6 fresh chillis with a card in them identifying which is which.
    Tesco should have a similar little box. They also have small bags of fresh bird eye chillies (used in african and portuguese stuff).

Mic's Inferno Sauce is very good, should be available near you. Rebel Chilli do a nice line as well but not sure how easy it is to get outside the people's republic...

MissFlitworth - a whole carrier bag of scotch bonnets? :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

langdang wrote: »
    MissFlitworth - a whole carrier bag of scotch bonnets? :eek::eek:

Yep! one of those green & white stripy ones, I stood & watched her shovelling them in, so in awe of her & her cast iron tongue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pedda

I get chipotles in adobo in Taco Taco in the Epicurean Food Hall, Azteca on Dame Street & Fallon & Byrne on Exchequer Street (F&B are the most expensive option here). Azteca & Fallon & Byrne also have dried chilis. The guy who runs Azteca imports giant bags of different chilis for his restaurant & I don't think he'd be adverse to doing you a pick n mix :) Some tescos that stock their 'Ingredients' range (the bigger the Tesco the more likely it is that you'll get a good selection) stock an ok range of dried chilis, I've gotten Ancho Chilis in Tesco Jervis before.

I've by Azteca yesterday but they where closed :( Then I went to Taco Taco to find out that just a few minutes ago another person was there and bought their remaining stock of chipotle in adobo cans. But the staff at Taco Taco was really friendly and gave me some in a plastic cup to take home. They will get more in next wednesday or thursday.

So after the I went to F&B, and they seemed out of stock as well, but there I bought some fresh chilli's and some cans of chipotle and ancho powder.

So at the end my little shopping trip was well woth the walking ;-)

Thanks again for all your tips and help.

Advertisement