Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamlet question....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Wow. Didn't know that! I know a few people using Key Notes as their sole means of study. Hope they aren't caught out like that. Our teacher advised us against buying it because she wanted us to give original answers. Makes a lot more sense now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

This is not what i want to be hearing right now, alot of my essays are from Keynotes, I have but so much time into learing these if i get caught for plagerism then i dunno what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Iceboy wrote: »
    This is not what i want to be hearing right now, alot of my essays are from Keynotes, I have but so much time into learing these if i get caught for plagerism then i dunno what
    The examiners aren't examining your ability to memorise Keynotes. They're examining your ability to analyse and give your response to various forms of literature.

The examiners aren't examining your ability to memorise Keynotes. They're examining your ability to analyse and give your response to various forms of literature.

Hmm, well to avoid the possibility of getting caught for plagerism I will just reword everything im writing and mix it up a bit so it doesn't look so similar to others

Iceboy wrote: »
    Hmm, well to avoid the possibility of getting caught for plagerism I will just reword everything im writing and mix it up a bit so it doesn't look so similar to others
    That'll probably work... I'd get started on it straight away though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

polka dot wrote: »
    Oh :( Oh well. Laertes wouldn't be so bad! Haven't done anything on Horatio though!

I started a thread about Horatio (albeit it only consisted of 5 posts:pac:) but someone put up a list of topics under which you can write about him. It was really good! Have a look.:)

That'll probably work... I'd get started on it straight away though!

Hello no! Im done writing notes for all subjects now, its all just reading over now, when im in the exam I will re-word it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The thing most people seem to ignore is that the people correcting the English exam are English teachers. They will have read these notes before, they may have even printed them for their own students. If they see a plagiarised section, they will simply bracket it and ignore it from the marking. If your entire essay is plagiarised then you will receive no marks.

I knew there was a reason I don't learn things off by heart (apart from being lazy). Even if it plagiarism wasn't marked down, I'd rather do things myself. I'm not worried about my results too much, I'll probably get what I need easily so I'd liked to be marked on my ability.

Although my Irish teacher told me to learn stuff off by rote. Something our English teacher told us not to even dream of doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

The thing most people seem to ignore is that the people correcting the English exam are English teachers. They will have read these notes before, they may have even printed them for their own students. If they see a plagiarised section, they will simply bracket it and ignore it from the marking. If your entire essay is plagiarised then you will receive no marks.

Haha.
    That's never going to happen stop trying to worry people.
    Everything you learn in the leaving cert is a plagiarised piece of material & the simple fact is people have quoted essays from books like key notes for years & how many cases do people hear of having their answers cancelled for plagiarism. The only problem which exists with learning answers off is every questions different and English is all about answering the question asked on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Are you serious!? Ok I wrote my Hamlet one myself but Iv just spent all day learning a handout our teacher gave us on Claduis and the women! *panic attack*

• Advertisement

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Haha.
    That's never going to happen stop trying to worry people.
    There's a new chief examiner. People need to be careful.
    Everything you learn in the leaving cert is a plagiarised piece of material
    Not necessarily.
    & the simple fact is people have quoted essays from books like key notes for years & how many cases do people hear of having their answers cancelled for plagiarism.
    It doesn't matter about what happened over the past few years. We have a new chief examiner this year. It's best to play it safe.

Are you serious!? Ok I wrote my Hamlet one myself but Iv just spent all day learning a handout our teacher gave us on Claduis and the women! *panic attack*
    Learned word-for-word or did you just read over the points your teacher made? The latter is perfectly safe.

Learned word-for-word or did you just read over the points your teacher made? The latter is perfectly safe.
    Basically word for word, although I threw in a few bits myself, like the nunnery/closet scene description (both about 3 quarters of a page each) and i few quotes...If I just learned the main points like each seperate paragraph and rewords it would that be ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Obviously I'm not an examiner, but if I was and I saw some bodies of work ver similar or if I recognised them myself as directly memorised from a book I would mark them down. There's no way I would give a word for word regurgitation from Key Notes, or any other book for that matter, a high grade. Surely in higher level English examiners would expect the students to be more than capable of piecing together some well-worded sentences on their own?

Im now praying for a Hamlet character question. If Cladius or the Women come up, Im screwed.

There's a new chief examiner. People need to be careful.
    It doesn't matter about what happened over the past few years. We have a new chief examiner this year. It's best to play it safe.

People don't need to play it safe or hear this 2 days before their english paper, it's now or never, if you learned something from these books don't spend time changing it now, focus on something else.
    Simple reasoning will show an answer in perfect english directly linked to the question is not going to have a big X through it , saying you nicked this from a book! 0 Marks.
    And yes it does matter what happened over the past few years, what else do students have to compare to.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Hamlet is the only one I feel confident enough winging beause it was the ONLY thing we did in fifth year... (Exaggeration: we also did Dickinson.)

Hamlet, Claudiusad Horatio are the only characters I feel comfortable writing about. I know a little on Laertas and Fortinbras but only for theme of revenge which I have like 1 A4 page on them each

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

I use key notes all the time, I only use it to get points though, I don't copy it word for word but the layout and sequence of topics can be kind of similar.
    My paragraphs are based around the same main topics of the key notes but phrased differently...should I be worried:confused:

I use key notes all the time, I only use it to get points though, I don't copy it word for word but the layout and sequence of topics can be kind of similar.
    My paragraphs are based around the same main topics of the key notes but phrased differently...should I be worried:confused:

Im sure you fine since you have changed it around to your own prefence

• Advertisement

That's perfectly fine.
    DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Simple reasoning will show an answer in perfect english directly linked to the question is not going to have a big X through it , saying you nicked this from a book! 0 Marks.
    If an examiner suspects someone to have plagiarised they are obliged to investigate. If your entire essay is indeed simply a 1:1 copy from Keynotes or any other book and the examiner recognises it as such then you can quite feasibly receive 0 marks.
    And yes it does matter what happened over the past few years, what else do students have to compare to.
    There is a new chief examiner this year. If said chief examiner decides to actually enforce the no-plagiarism rule then examiners will be obliged to ignore plagiarised material during marking.

Looks like I will be spending the night writing a Cladius question so :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

i'm doing :hamlet,gertrude&ophelia,laertes,claudius,horatio,theme of revenge and appearance vs. reality,might look over dramatic scene and imagery.
    i have lots of quotes ,so hopefully if any q will come up i can answer even a bit on it. Also I have few nice phrases from revision books :D
    Hoping for hamlet character question,but it came up in 2005,2002:(
    G&O also came up in 2002
    Dramatic scene 2001
    appearances vs. reality 2000
    soliloquies 2000

I think what might come up is : Claudius on his own,comparison Hamelt&Laertes&Fortinbras,importance of Horatio,Rosencrantz & Guildenstern ,imagery,Polonius(didnt come up since 70s or 80s)

If Polonius comes up I'm screwed :(

Im completely freaked out now. If I use notes from the back of the book and the keynotes sheet mixed together, is that plagerism!? :/

That's perfectly fine.

If an examiner suspects someone to have plagiarised they are obliged to investigate. If your entire essay is indeed simply a 1:1 copy from Keynotes or any other book and the examiner recognises it as such then you can quite feasibly receive 0 marks.

There is a new chief examiner this year. If said chief examiner decides to actually enforce the no-plagiarism rule then examiners will be obliged to ignore plagiarised material during marking.

Ok so lets say a few of these examiners notice direct plagiarism,from the thousands who buy this book every year& others don't, that's discrimination.
    Your persistent argument that this new chief examminer may act immediately to abolish plagiarism with no prior warning is an invalid point also, the simple fact is thousands of higher level english students are using plagiarised material for their exams, if each of these students receive 0 Marks because a new chief examminer is installed thus upsetting the entire leaving certificate results of thousands of students. Not to mention the college places that would not be offered due to such high failure rates in English all because of one new examminer, well let's just presume they'd get the sack straight away, chief examminers are not subject gods there people looking out for their own livelihoods so expect everything to run smoothly in conjuction with previous years!

Im completely freaked out now. If I use notes from the back of the book and the keynotes sheet mixed together, is that plagerism!? :/
    No need to freak out... If you mix the two and create an amalgamation of the two set of notes the examiner will more than likely not notice.

No need to freak out... If you mix the two and create an amalgamation of the two set of notes the examiner will more than likely not notice.
    Ok thanks...the sooner this exam is over, the better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

Not exactly. Though if you're not going to go with your own opinion/viewpoint on the play, I'd recommend just using one other person's notes, not two. The examiner might notice changes in quality throughout the essay, changes in outlook and judgement, turn of phrase and expression?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

martyllia wrote: »
    i'm doing :hamlet,gertrude&ophelia,laertes,claudius,horatio,theme of revenge and appearance vs. reality,might look over dramatic scene and imagery.
    i have lots of quotes ,so hopefully if any q will come up i can answer even a bit on it. Also I have few nice phrases from revision books :D
    Hoping for hamlet character question,but it came up in 2005,2002:(
    G&O also came up in 2002
    Dramatic scene 2001
    appearances vs. reality 2000
    soliloquies 2000

I think what might come up is : Claudius on his own,comparison Hamelt&Laertes&Fortinbras,importance of Horatio,Rosencrantz & Guildenstern ,imagery,Polonius(didnt come up since 70s or 80s)

If Polonius comes up I'm screwed :(

I didn't know appearance vs reality had come up so recently. :eek: Do you know the exact question? I just searched for the paper on examinations.ie but couldn't find it.

EDIT: Just found it, sorry - I was being blind there for a moment. That's annoying, as I was really hoping appearance vs reality / deception would come up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sideways83

anybody notes or any help on claudius.
    or is it waste of time doing him..

Advertisement