Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing Good Fish in the west Dublin area

Options
  • 31-05-2011 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. There are always conversations here about sourcing fish in the greater Dublin areas that aren't near Clontarf/Howth/city centre markets.

One place that has been mentioned is McAllisters in Lucan. http://www.mcallistersfish.com/I went there today and picked up some sea bass fillets and a bit of monkfish. The sea bass fillets were €2.50 apiece and had not been pin-boned, which is not the end of the world, but still, it would be nice not to be picking out the little bones. It was fresh and delicious though.

I bought a pound of monkfish fillet and it was around €14 which is quite pricey, but it's a bit like getting a good steak. I'm planning to eat that tomorrow with sundried tomato paste and wrapped in pancetta. I will let you know how it goes. It looks like a wonderful piece of fish.

I felt very rushed by the owner, which I might understand if there hadn't been only one other customer there. I will return but I would expect to spend money. They do offer a service where they text you once a week with their specials.

I also visited the frozen food outlet in Lucan called The Food Centre. http://www.thefoodcentre.co/ Here there was fantastic wholesale value, and I bought things like a kilo of frozen berries and a kilo of chicken goujons. The prices were terrific. The fish looked ok, but I am always a little suspicious of frozen fish. In the end I bought a kilo of very good-looking raw cleaned and headless tiger prawns which I'm looking forward to sampling this weekend, for a tenner. The owner was extremely friendly and helpful, and I will be going back there regularly for barbecue supplies for the summer. I would definitely go there for all party food from now on.

Also, people are often looking for things like "burger sauce" and "taco sauce" around here, and The Food Centre have a wide range of those kinds of sauces in cheap 1 litre bottles. They're also great for bulk-buying things like rice and pasta, or even large desserts.

I just thought I would let ye know that these places exist and are easily accessible for any west Dubliners or Kildare folk, like myself. I'd definitely be interested if anyone else could recommend other similar places.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,496 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I also visited the frozen food outlet in Lucan called The Food Centre. http://www.thefoodcentre.co/ Here there was fantastic wholesale value

That place is new to me. I'll be checking it out in the next few days, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Thanks for that, will definitely be checking out The Food Centre. Sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I've gotten fish from mccallisters before and the chap in there recommended some nice cuts and then boned it for me without asking. It wa delicious, keep meaning to go again.

I've gotten a leaflet in the door about the fpod centre before but looking at what they sell I didnt think it would be for me. too much processed stuff for me, in too big a quantity, maybe for a BBQ or party it would be handy. Let us know what you think of the prawns though

Advertisement