Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Household charge

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Worztron wrote: »
    I don't think Reilly will have to pay the household charge since he is living (the life of Riley) in a listed building.
    I read that provided that he opened the place to the public for a couple of days a year (??) then no household charge would be due. How very convenient! Once again, one rule for the proles and another for us the elite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

A number of very irate people were on today's Joe Duffy show telling of cheques, bank drafts, etc plus completed forms being returned to them because they had arrived after the deadline of 31st March. The reason - they had missed the deadline and should have paid €111 (including fine for late payment).

The people on complaining had only just missed the deadline.

Of course, the bureaucrats returning the payments and forms could see no way to keep the payments and request the difference or put the balance on their accounts.

Another man was on explaining how a cheque sent in mid March had only been cashed in May. Have public servants no idea of the importance of cash flow and opportunity costs of the interest lost through delays in lodging payments?

What sort of way is this to run a business? Are the public servants and their political masters so out of touch with the ordinary taxpayer, that they can treat them with such contempt?

Oh, I forgot .... these are the folk protected by the Croke Park Agreement, while pensioners who missed the deadline by a few days are treated like criminals and the country at large is saddled with a shed load of unnecessary extra work and expense.

To my mind a bunch of junior cert students would make a better job of managing the collection of household charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭kingstown

Don't wish to reopen recent wounds etc but, I checked through my bank statement over the weekend and noticed the cheque I posted in March for the household charge hasn't been cashed yet.

Sent it last week of March so I would have thought they would have cashed it by now?
    Maybe the Government doesn't need my money??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Floppybits

kingstown wrote: »
    Don't wish to reopen recent wounds etc but, I checked through my bank statement over the weekend and noticed the cheque I posted in March for the household charge hasn't been cashed yet.

Sent it last week of March so I would have thought they would have cashed it by now?
    Maybe the Government doesn't need my money??

Absolutely ridiculous. I thought FF were bad but FG are making them look good with this sort of carry on.

I cant believe they are sending the money back and not just cashing it. It beggers belief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Floppybits wrote: »
    Absolutely ridiculous. I thought FF were bad but FG are making them look good with this sort of carry on.

I cant believe they are sending the money back and not just cashing it. It beggers belief

FF,FG? It's the feckin civil service who run these things.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

FF,FG? It's the feckin civil service who run these things.

Nate

Yep..and im sure it will be declared that pointing out how stupid and inefficient the handling of this has been is just "civil servant bashing".

Does anyone know who or where (Dept) to ring / email to find out why my cheque hasn't been lodged. ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

kingstown wrote: »
    Does anyone know who or where (Dept) to ring / email to find out why my cheque hasn't been lodged. ??

You should email Brendan Howlin to start with ................ oh, and put a CC to the Troika:D That would get a move on Howlin ;)

Why not a cc also to the Sindo and Vincent Brown

Funny isn't it ;)- here I am complaining that my money wasn't lodged or cashed, when I wasn't overly happy with paying it over in the first place, but did so.......

Little confused with myself :confused:- maybe I need counseling, would the State pay for that for me:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Madbod

bear in mind they make a tenner per month on the fines so it is in their interest to have as many late payers as possible. The civil servants chasing up these late payments would still have been paid

so the debacle of only around 50% households registering for this tax, will net the govt hundreds of thousands extra €€ by the time it's all been done

Did pay it on time (albeit the last day) but they still haven't lodged the cheque - thought they needed the money.....
    Now i am beginning to worry that my form and cheque wasn't received at all - lost in the post.

ardmacha wrote: »
    The regulatory failure was a consequence of government policy. However, we rolled over too easily at that time by guaranteeing everything.

What government policy are you talking about?

The regulatory failure is down to a failure by the then Regulator to do his job - no matter what the pressure - he looked for the job, appeared to have the requisite qualifications and got the job for which he was very highly paid.

He wasn't just a chief clerk, there to do his masters bidding, but a highly paid professional whose job was to act independently of Government on matters of Financial Regulation.

He eventually stepped down on the specifics of Anglo Directors' loans.

Let's not confuse issues, when highly paid officials fall down on the job, they are responsible and have to carry the can. To think otherwise is a recipe for chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Madbod

golfwallah wrote: »

Let's not confuse issues, when highly paid officials fall down on the job, they are responsible and have to carry the can. To think otherwise is a recipe for chaos.

I agree completely with you and what you say reminds me of when Bertie said he couldn't be held responsible for every failure of the civil service (or something similar, he may have been speaking about the HSE)

his comments made me laugh as i reached for my baseball bat.. but i spose he was right after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

golfwallah wrote: »

Yeah they really stuck the knife in too --> Regulator gets the chop

Nate

Yeah they really stuck the knife in too --> Regulator gets the chop

Nate

Agreed, you have a point as regards big payoffs for senior people who screwed up and had no price to pay other than the embarrassment of losing their jobs and a bit of negative publicity.

But we are now going off topic as regards household charges.

Perhaps, I'll start another thread on the issue of accountability for such massive mistakes, moral hazard, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Can we close this thread now seeing as the people refused the opportunity to vote "no" to the household charge despite being invited to do so by many posters on lamposts?

Advertisement