Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grooming a short haired dog....

• 31-05-2011 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

I always said Id never get my Lab professionally groomed...why would I, he has a short coat and I just as easy wash him myself at home.

Anyway he has been shedding a lot now that it is coming into the summer so I said whats the harm.....

WOW is all I have to say, he smells amazing, he looks so golden and not shedding at all (usually there is a big mound of hair on the car seats and couch) its amazing. I honestly think he feels better too as has been extra happy in himself.

Definately worth it without a doubt and would easily do it again especially if it means less hoovering.

Groomer was excellent and cannot believe it, very reasonable and took everything so slow and gentle for his first groom (age 3). My short haired lab looks like a different dog!!!! :D

Anyone else get their short haired dog groomed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

suziwalsh wrote: »
    I always said Id never get my Lab professionally groomed...why would I, he has a short coat and I just as easy wash him myself at home.

Anyway he has been shedding a lot now that it is coming into the summer so I said whats the harm.....

WOW is all I have to say, he smells amazing, he looks so golden and not shedding at all (usually there is a big mound of hair on the car seats and couch) its amazing. I honestly think he feels better too as has been extra happy in himself.

Definately worth it without a doubt and would easily do it again especially if it means less hoovering.

Groomer was excellent and cannot believe it, very reasonable and took everything so slow and gentle for his first groom (age 3). My short haired lab looks like a different dog!!!! :D

Anyone else get their short haired dog groomed?
    i groom mine all the time and it cuts way down on the hoovering plus there is rite and wrong eays to groom a dogs coat wether its long or short haired. ya should keep on top of the grooming in between grooms too. ya can buy a slicker brush and go over the dog twice a week this will help with bad smells and the spreading of natural oils that are contained in the coat. only cost around 10-15 bucks for a good one. your dog is a bath dog so not much skill needed to give him a good grooming get yourself a nail clippers,slicker brush good quality shampoo and learn how to express the anal glands[smelly] and a bit of research into your breed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

pokertalk wrote: »
    i groom mine all the time and it cuts way down on the hoovering plus there is rite and wrong eays to groom a dogs coat wether its long or short haired. ya should keep on top of the grooming in between grooms too. ya can buy a slicker brush and go over the dog twice a week this will help with bad smells and the spreading of natural oils that are contained in the coat. only cost around 10-15 bucks for a good one. your dog is a bath dog so not much skill needed to give him a good grooming get yourself a nail clippers,slicker brush good quality shampoo and learn how to express the anal glands[smelly] and a bit of research into your breed

Sorry I should have said....his first professional groom, not first groom. I do wash and brush him regularly :)

Never needs his nails done as he runs so much and good diet and exercise I am lucky he has never needed his anal glands done.

I never bothered to pay for a groom because I thought it was pointless and I put him in the shower myself....but it was well worth it such a different finish to his coat and way less shedding!!!! He looks amazing!

Sorry I should have said....his first professional groom, not first groom. I do wash and brush him regularly :)

Never needs his nails done as he runs so much and good diet and exercise I am lucky he has never needed his anal glands done.

I never bothered to pay for a groom because I thought it was pointless and I put him in the shower myself....but it was well worth it such a different finish to his coat and way less shedding!!!! He looks amazing!
    well it sure does take the hastle of doing it yoyrself how much did u pay??

€35.00 but he is a big dog and now immaculate...even after a couple of days and a swim...the fresh shampoo they used seemed to linger and no shedding yet.

Maybe not too regularly but every so often for a treat....or during shedding seasons!!!

€35.00 but he is a big dog and now immaculate...even after a couple of days and a swim...the fresh shampoo they used seemed to linger and no shedding yet.

Maybe not too regularly but every so often for a treat....or during shedding seasons!!!
    thats a good price some of the big names charge a bomb where most of the time your dog is a number i assume you went to a small home style salon

• Advertisement

Yeah a small little salon and shop :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I got our Staff pup done at the weekend, we had just gotten her and she smells fab now! Only cost €15 for wash, nails & ears to be done. Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Helen1976

OT but I pay €40 to have a Cavalier King Charles groomed - is that a lot?

Helen1976 wrote: »
    OT but I pay €40 to have a Cavalier King Charles groomed - is that a lot?

No thats a good price. CKCs are long coated so a lot more work and time goes into grooming one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Helen1976

Makes sense! Thanks Suzi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Suziwalsh that's great news!!

As a groomer I love doing labs, and other short haired dogs. I love the owner's reactions when they see them!

It really is money well spent, and makes a massive difference on the shedding.

:)

Advertisement