Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford to Cork rail line.

Options
  • 31-05-2011 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Just outside Stradbally in Co Waterford is a fascinating train tunnel. Train services on this rail line were withdrawn and the line closed on Easter Saturday, 25 March, 1967. For anyone that has visited this site, the scenes that greet them and its history would leave you wondering, why this historical monument is not used to its full potential.

5748383184_ff5962e70c_b.jpg
    There are great tourism potential here if the line was reopened even as far as Dungarvan. We have guys and Girls at home doing nothing, We should be taking advantage of their time and energy and restoring these historical sites to open our country to a new visitors and offer them a value for money experience.

5748380262_535054104b_b.jpg

5748390376_9cb9116d98_z.jpg
    5748388652_135236fa66_z.jpg
    5748387874_a7faa8992b_z.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The old trackbed could best be developed as a walkway. Scenic but too remote to be a tourist railway. There's the narrow gauge line at Kilmeaden which is already probably too long for purpose and extending this to Dungarvan would be financially impractical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Its quite something.

Any idea who built it ?

CDfm wrote: »
    Its quite something.

Any idea who built it ?

http://www.wsvrailway.ie/wdandlrailway.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Thats interesting. My dad once pointed out a canal near Lismore Castle constructed by the Dukes of Devonshire for something or other.

CDfm wrote: »
    Thats interesting. My dad once pointed out a canal near Lismore Castle constructed by the Dukes of Devonshire for something or other.

That's correct and the Duke was responsible for the construction of the railway too. The Devonshire coat of arms are carved in stone on one of the buildings at the old railway station in Lismore. I nearly bought the place in 1993 for about €60,000 - the last time I heard of it was when it was for sale in the Irish Times for €1.4 million (!) just before the crash. It might be cheaper now if you're interested. :D

Lots of pics here: http://www.maddenestateagents.com/property.php?&pid=97 and the price is listed as €0!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

There are lots of historic old lines & i believe an active bunch of punters interested in them.

There is plenty of scope to develop these for leisure walkers, hikers, runners cyclists etc.

It would certainly benefit towns on the route.

The sallins - tullow line is a case in point that i've googled recently. That line was paid for by rate payers - ie the people paying rates decided to pay for the line to help business.

I have to say its crazy (economic, rather than historic, issue) that the limerick -waterford - cork triangle is not developed properly as an alternative focus to Dublin.

Advertisement