Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy loo

• 31-05-2011 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Hi all

There is a really annoying noise that comes after flushing the toliet in new rented house. It is a heavy dripping/gurgling sound that goes on for a about 3mins post flush.

Is it something I can resolve myself or do I need to call in the pros.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Open the cistern and flush the toilet, you'll see the pipe where the water is coming out while it's refilling. Cut a piece of garden hose, enough to go from the pipe to the bottom of the cistern. Push one end of the hose over the pipe and when the toilet is flushed the water runs quietly through the inside of the hose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Could you do the same thing with the tank filling in the attic?Mine is very noisey when filling.

Moanin wrote: »
    Could you do the same thing with the tank filling in the attic?Mine is very noisey when filling.

Don't see why not Moanin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Don't see why not Moanin.
    the reason why not is that it has the potential to contaminate the mains water, thats why a air gap is necessary between the water outlet and the water level , thats why ! Thats a basic rule of maintaing water quality . that air gap prevents the possibilty of backflow.

Maybe fit the hose pipe loosely around the output, so that the air gap is still maintained but the water still flows through it. Good luck anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

the reason why not is that it has the potential to contaminate the mains water, thats why a air gap is necessary between the water outlet and the water level , thats why ! Thats a basic rule of maintaing water quality . that air gap prevents the possibilty of backflow.

true maybe but I'm pretty sure you can still buy ballcocks with silencers on them so the pipe goes under the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Sparkpea wrote: »
    true maybe but I'm pretty sure you can still buy ballcocks with silencers on them so the pipe goes under the water.

True, but the ones i've seen seem to have small slits in the tube, some the tube is designed to collapse if there is suction, like the ice pop tube .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

True, but the ones i've seen seem to have small slits in the tube, some the tube is designed to collapse if there is suction, like the ice pop tube .
    exactly the tube must be collapsable, or have some means of preventing blackflow, sticking a bit of hose or pipe on isnt the right way to do it.

exactly the tube must be collapsable, or have some means of preventing blackflow, sticking a bit of hose or pipe on isnt the right way to do it.

What's wrong with a hose pipe?

It's probably something the OP has around the house/garden somewhere. Drill a few small holes around the top of the pipe and bobs your uncle.

Advertisement