Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Help Please campervan VRT

• 01-06-2011 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi there im new to this and not sure if I am in the wrong place or not, My boyfriend and I have recently bought a campervan in Scotland and are going to drive it home in two weekd time. Its a converted old royal mail van a big LDV 400 convoy. Its def i.8 metres in height and about 3500 in weight. We need to gut the back ourselves but it has everything needed to be called a camper.Its running really well. My problem is that we didn't realise that the VRT rates have changed and are wondering if anyone could tell me what we will be paying roughly. I contacted the VRT and they were no help and neither were the NCT. Its a 2001 van and we are buying it for 1500pounds. Is the VRT on campers cheaper than vans? Is there any loopholes in bringing it into the country that we dont know about? We have been told that the prices will be really high to change it to Irish plates. Has anyone done this or know someone who has recently. Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

To be honest, this isn't the website to come to if you want underhand ways of circumventing laws.

Firstly, will you continue to use this as a campervan or a van?

Secondly, is it currently registered as a campervan or a van?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 confusedcamper

Im not looking for underhand ways? Im bought a camper with my boyfriend and am looking for vrt advise as I can not get it online or from ringing the vrt office. Of course I want to keep it as a camper or else I would have bought a commercial. The man in scoltland kittted it out with everything but he has not changed it over from a van to a camper. I am looking for advise? Nothing underhand or illegal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You will be charged 13% of the open market value, this is set by the VRT office in Roslare but you can argue it on the day and if you fail to agree a value then you pat the fee and can appeal. Use the likes of Done deal and Gumtree to get prices for similar vans, this will give you a best case figure but they will say more.

One thing you need to be aware of is that up to 3.5 ton your car driving license is enough above that you need a C license! Get it to a weigh bridge as soon as possible. This could also work in your favour as I'd pay more for 3 ton than a 3.5 ton because of the hassle factor of doing a driving test....All the same I'd be looking for it to come in a less than 3.5 ton

Thanks thats great, at least I know I can appeal it. I have heard some extortionate prices being quoted. The LDV vans are not widely sold in Ireland but have all transit parts. They are really cheap to buy in Ireland and the UK but the vrt calculator is giving us 750euro??? Crazy.. On the documentation we have there is a weight of 3500, god I never thought of new licence etc. So I have to weight it before I bring it into the country? This is all getting very complicated now for such a cheap little camper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Thanks thats great, at least I know I can appeal it. I have heard some extortionate prices being quoted. The LDV vans are not widely sold in Ireland but have all transit parts. They are really cheap to buy in Ireland and the UK but the vrt calculator is giving us 750euro??? Crazy.. On the documentation we have there is a weight of 3500, god I never thought of new licence etc. So I have to weight it before I bring it into the country? This is all getting very complicated now for such a cheap little camper!

To be honest I would expect the VRT to come in about 6-700, they generally base the OMSP on the going price for the vans regardless of how good/bad the condition is or whether it's a factory or self-build conversion... That's where you need to argue your case on the OMSP with the CVO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

stevire wrote: »
    To be honest I would expect the VRT to come in about 6-700, they generally base the OMSP on the going price for the vans regardless of how good/bad the condition is or whether it's a factory or self-build conversion... That's where you need to argue your case on the OMSP with the CVO.

I'd say more like 1000 as there are 01's for sale asking 7500 so circa 13% is 1000

Before you bring it over makes sure you have insureance sorted

I managed to get my van taxed today so ill stick up a guide later on the process

Everything you need to know is here

Hey thanks for all you help, thats great I guess I have to wait and see as I have tried everything to get information from vrt, reveune.ie, vro in rosslare, vrt calculator! I guess its the price you have to pay to have a nice cheap van....

Unfortunately the revenue won't help until they actually deal with you as a case. Not a very helpful bunch I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

Hi,

Does the 13% VRT rule apply to all campers, regardless of weight? Even over 3,500kg?

Merv.

Yes. 13.5% of the OMSP regardless of weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dorts

Keep in mind that the omsp is what the revenue say and in our experience no one there, seems to know how many different styles of motorhome are out there.There are price guides for motorhomes but they dont seem to want to use them,this would make things a lot easier for everyone.ah well.

dorts wrote: »
    Keep in mind that the omsp is what the revenue say and in our experience no one there, seems to know how many different styles of motorhome are out there.There are price guides for motorhomes but they dont seem to want to use them,this would make things a lot easier for everyone.ah well.

Unfortunately, nothing in this country is simple in any shape or form. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Unfortunately, nothing in this country is simple in any shape or form. :mad:

At least getting a set of number plates for a new vehicle in Ireland isn't like getting a set in Germany - what a rigamarole that is LOL !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

never had a problem? Though we only got temporary plates , which was very simple .

Advertisement