Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawn probe to orbit asteroid Vesta

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

ElizKenny that's a gorgeous image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I'm so excited! First real look at a new world! When was the last time that happened? I wonder what the bright dot is gonna be? :D

That's the exterior structures of the Post Terran Mining Corporation (PTMC) Research Bunker Ceres.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

ElizKenny wrote: »
    www .jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4475

That's no moon...

I wonder what the bright dot is gonna be? :D

ceres.png

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

15-027-ceres-gif-650.gif?itok=J6_29Jv8

http://www.nasa.gov/press/2015/march/nasa-spacecraft-nears-historic-dwarf-planet-arrival/#.VPhZAy62rb0
    NASA’s Dawn spacecraft has returned new images captured on approach to its historic orbit insertion at the dwarf planet Ceres. Dawn will be the first mission to successfully visit a dwarf planet when it enters orbit around Ceres on Friday, March 6.

"Dawn is about to make history," said Robert Mase, project manager for the Dawn mission at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California. "Our team is ready and eager to find out what Ceres has in store for us."

15-027-dawn-ceres.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

That bright spot actually gets more peculiar the better the resolution becomes.

That bright spot actually gets more peculiar the better the resolution becomes.

Obviously the main weapon of the death star these unfriendly aliens inhabit.
    We should give them a nice big poke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Obviously the main weapon of the death star these unfriendly aliens inhabit.
    We should give them a nice big poke.

I'm just utterly intrigued. It's so different from the rest of the surface. I wonder if it could be active outgassing, or exposed ice where something punched through the crust.

I'm just utterly intrigued. It's so different from the rest of the surface. I wonder if it could be active outgassing, or exposed ice where something punched through the crust.

Well I'm no rocket surgeon but I think you'll find the surface is mostly highly reflective ice which is only exposed once a recent asteroid impacts or bounces off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Why is nobody talking about this??

...... I wonder what the bright dot is gonna be? :D

It's Larry Murphy's new covert lair.

The Sunday World's Paul Williams will be using Dawn's precision optics to snap pics of the beast of Baltinglass seedy antics from orbit. From orbit, he'll also be blaring aggressive questioning about Murphy's past through Dawn's high power megaphone. :pac::pac:

Seriously, it is very interesting. I'm reading about it with interest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The bright spots are intruiging. Personally, I'm hoping that they are evidence of cryovolcanism on Ceres. To find that such a small body is geologically active would be a great discovery.

Dawn enters Ceres orbit today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/guest-blogs/marc-rayman/20150401-dawn-journal-preparing-to-photograph-ceres.html

More on the mission dates and orbits

20150225_PIA19185_20150219.png

20150401_NewOrbitCrop_f537.jpg

RC3 April 23 – May 9 13,500Km orbit with 1,300m resolution

By December it should be down to 35m resolution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The best pic to date is in -

post-246-0-43213500-1431376261.jpg

Looking more like a geological formation, related to a central peak of the crater maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

It would be somewhat ironic if it was found to be some mineral deposit containing cerium (cerium was named after Ceres).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭josip

post-246-0-43213500-1431376261.jpg

Looking more like a geological formation, related to a central peak of the crater maybe...

Looks like the Apple logo to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Mushrooms?

2 stroke wrote: »
    Mushrooms?

No thanks, I'm trying to cut down.

Well this is a tease... detailed view from just 3,200 miles up, but not the bright spots region of course -

ceres%20m_zpsngvckw0v.jpg

It's a shadow of something large, rectangular and relatively thin, maybe 1 by 4 by 9.

Now from just 2,700 miles up. Still no explanation.

pia19568_main-1041.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Anyone else get the feeling there's more of that shiny stuff elsewhere too on Ceres ?

There seems to be isolated tiny spots on the pic above (with the big spots), there's also a little dot 3 quarters of the way down the pic, center/right that looks like it could be a recent, tiny crater, with a bright dot in the middle.

On this pic, there seems to be some tiny spots too...
    http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/images/largesize/PIA19570_hires.jpgPIA19570_hires.jpg

edit : I wonder rather than a deposit from the impactor, if this is not just something that's under the surface, and seeps out in places, then dries off again (or seeps back in). That would explain the remnants in other locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Possibly Coloradoite, or a similar crystallised rock.

I wonder rather than a deposit from the impactor, if this is not just something that's under the surface, and seeps out in places, then dries off again (or seeps back in). That would explain the remnants in other locations.

The most common explanation I've seen is that it is water ice, in a layer below the dusty surface and the rocky core, exposed at impact or outgassing sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

This image is just fascinating, just goes to show how much brighter the spots are in comparison to anything else on Ceres (or at least that region):

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/jpeg/PIA19584.jpg

The exposure is set so low that Ceres itself is barely visible at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Hmmzis wrote: »
    This image is just fascinating, just goes to show how much brighter the spots are in comparison to anything else on Ceres (or at least that region):

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/jpeg/PIA19584.jpg

The exposure is set so low that Ceres itself is barely visible at all.
    Could it be that every time they take a picture they are doing it in a position that whatever this shiny stuff is, it's reflecting sunlight back into the camera? If it was a glossy sheet of ice for example, it would be like a mirror and the reflected sunlight would be extremely bright and need a massive reduction in exposure time to see any detail.
    Or maybe its this bright no matter what angle they take the pictures??
    Ok, my brain has just rebooted a little more. (Night shift!) The crater shadowing indicates the sun is at an angle to the camera so that idea is more or less shot!
    I'm thinking a white deposit like Curiosity etc. found on Mars. Either from the interior of Ceres or the remains of an impactor that... err impacted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭ps200306

shedweller wrote: »
    The crater shadowing indicates the sun is at an angle to the camera so that idea is more or less shot!
    Yeah, it's surprising the range of angles at which it lights up! I think I read that it is four times more reflective than the surrounding terrain, with an albedo of 40%.

Ceres_spots_animation_May_4_2015.gifPIA19064.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Aliens

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The Monolith from 2001.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Clearly a Cylon Tylium mining production industrial complex.
    The structure on the left is the mining ship this will be connected to the structures on the right via an underground tunnel which are the refinery and storage complex.

Advertisement