Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fishing

Options
  • 01-06-2011 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

sorry folks im new to this but im goin away to the shannon for the weekend not necessary to fish but if we end up fishing do we need a licence and whats the ends and outs of it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

ap1986 wrote: »
    sorry folks im new to this but im goin away to the shannon for the weekend not necessary to fish but if we end up fishing do we need a licence and whats the ends and outs of it

I'm not quite sure but i know you do need a permit to fish the river suck which is a tributary of the Shannon.
    Ive been buying the Shannon regional fishery permit for the last 16 years and Ive fished the Shannon area (not the Shannon) literally thousands of times and have only been asked twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ap1986

dvae wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure but i know you do need a permit to fish the river suck which is a tributary of the Shannon.
    Ive been buying the Shannon regional fishery permit for the last 16 years and Ive fished the Shannon area (not the Shannon) literally thousands of times and have only been asked twice.
    and what did ya say to whoever asked ya for the permit

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

ap1986 wrote: »
    and what did ya say to whoever asked ya for the permit

To make a long story short,
    although i new the lad asking me for my permit was a fishery officer, i made him walk back to his car (about 1/2 mile) to get his i.d. before i would show it to him.
    probably not a nice thing to do.
    The fishery board are very much under staffed and you cant blame the bailiffs. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if there were more people hired to police the rivers and lakes with them.
    I have noticed since the recession there are more and more anglers turning up at the rivers. (me included)
    If the fishery boards were to take on more bailiffs perhaps more people would purchase a license/permit and this would probably go some way to paying the bailiffs salary or allowance or whatever they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

no permit required for the river shannon! or lough ree.. there was a share cert required for game fishing, but that seems to be gone now!

Advertisement