Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build

Options
  • 01-06-2011 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Starting new tread for the actual build etc
    Just finished ordering the parts for my new build. I set out at first to do a little upgrade of the GPU mainly, and I've ended up buying a full new PC.....I'm terrible with money.!

Before I move on into the parts I bought, my needs of this rig are this =
    Bit of gaming
    Adobe creative suite, running flawlessly!
    Little bit of video editing (HD) but not a MUST!

So here's what I ordered (My budget was 550Euro - Including shipping)

Radeon HD 6850 - 1GB
    AMD Phenom II X4 840 - 3.2GHz
    Cooler Master Hyper TX3
    Corsair XMS3 - 2 x 2GB
    MSI 870U-G55
    Advance MPT-6500 PC Power Unit - 600Watt
    AEROCOOL Strike X PC Tower Case - I thought it looked cool......lol
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 - 1TB

I ordered with Pixmania.ie, & I placed 24-48Hour shipping
    Total of build Incl shipping & VAT was € 544,84
    So what does you guys think of that? Personally, I think it should be a decent build. Researched all the parts, and everyone seemed happy with them so, fingers crossed it will be good =) Expect Pics of the build and what not as soon as it comes =)

Think it's also worth throwing in what my current "Rig" (If you class it as that) Is.
    AMD Athlon II X3 435 - Standard clock speed & Stock cooler
    4GB Of DDR2 Ram - 800MHz
    80GB Seagate hard drive (Plan on moving to new rig for apps etc)
    ECS Blaa blaa blaa motherboard - Yeah I forget.
    Onboard graphics - Which, in fairness, did me pretty well in terms of Image editing, and work related stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I think that you should have got a better quality PSU. I might have picked a different motherboard... and possibly shopped elsewhere, but apart from that, the rest looks fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

+1 on the psu. better to buy a great one that'll last you ages. still, you can buy a brand x one and not have issues for years. but definite kudos for staying in budget, i never can.

also i tend to shop local for cases, on the reasoning that it saves on shipping, but it limits choice. but if you want it that bad...

also what's with people's obsessions with replacing the stock fan? its not like we're living in a particularly warm country, as if the CPU is gonna overheat. you mentioned video editing, if anything i'd be concerned with the graphics card's heat sink. that said i'm not familiar with the ones shipped with AMD processors so maybe you do need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It's not just a heat issue, they often tend to be a bit noisy.
    I replaced a 955 heatsink with the reasonably cheap Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 and the difference in noise was considerable.

The quality of them ranges quite a bit. Much larger fan, more copper, heatpipes with the higher CPUs. I have a 1055T heatsink and it's pretty quiet, but it's not cooling a 1055T.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Kromdar wrote: »
    also what's with people's obsessions with replacing the stock fan? its not like we're living in a particularly warm country, as if the CPU is gonna overheat. you mentioned video editing, if anything i'd be concerned with the graphics card's heat sink. that said i'm not familiar with the ones shipped with AMD processors so maybe you do need it.

I'm currently running my Athlon x3 without a overclock and it's temps are fine, but the fan is a bit noisey (Although that might be a fault with the fan) I've heard this one is quite when an a low load, but loud on a higher load (To be expected) but gives better temps. We'll see how it goes, it was a cheapo one anyway!

As for the PSU... I know =P I should have went with a good brand.! I'll probably swap it out when/if I order more ram

**Edit** Also I live in Carlow, No one sells case's locally =/ **Edit**

Got all the parts and stuff today...Pretty delighted

Big plus for me was getting the Saphire version of the 6850 instead of the normal one I ordered (Which would have game without a box/dvi-vga etc)

Now on to the bad part =/

Lost my Windows 7 disk, & have no idea were abouts it is, so I'm trying to install Ubuntu for now....

But I'm having -
    Everything seems to be in the right place, and it powers on and fans start, but nothing shows up on screen.

Now I personally think its because the Graphics Card isn't working until I install drivers and that, but I can't prove this because the motherboard doesn't have any video out :eek:

The only thing that looks like it my be video out is the RVA (Yellow) looking connection on their, but when i hock up a RCA Cable between it and a tv, still nothing showing up )=

Anyone got any help? I tried unplugging the card, and still nothings showing on screen =/

• Advertisement

Had a good look at it after posting...Noticed I didn't have the 4pin connection plugged into the motherboard! :O Plugged it in and everything booted up perfectly!

I'll throw a few pics up tomorrow, although I haven't done any cable managing yet =P

(System CPU Temp idle is 11-13 and 17-22 under full load with the Coolor master TX3...Impressive!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

likewise, the phenom 840 is hardly an upgrade from an athlon 445. I imagine no L3 cache is gonna have a serious drawback in HD video editing. all you've done is add 1 extra core for quite a lot of money. did you try unlocking the 445?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    likewise, the phenom 840 is hardly an upgrade from an athlon 445. I imagine no L3 cache is gonna have a serious drawback in HD video editing. all you've done is add 1 extra core for quite a lot of money. did you try unlocking the 445?

Video editing isn't a big deal. If I can't do it, that's fine really.
    Nope never tried, the ECS board didn't give me the option to do it, the MSI one I have now gives me that option.

Advertisement