Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exhaust systems Help!!!!

Options
  • 01-06-2011 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi everyone. I'm driving a golf mkv I.4 at the mo and I'm looking to invest in a nicer looking and sounding exaust system . Unfortunately I havnt really got any idea what makes an exhaust sound nice or how to create the best air flow . I am looking to get a duel exhaust system like one that's on the r32. Does anyone know what the best way to go about it ? Ie cat back/ just muffler , it's very important that the car doesn't scream moped, so I'm looking for something that has a deep and tuned sounding grawl? Any idea what Would be best suited ? As it's only a 1.4 will the engine have the power to make a tuned exhaust sound or will it just sound like a bag of cats in a bag ???? Plz help, any information will really help , sorry about punctuality written on a phone :) thanks for any help .......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

ianc929 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm driving a golf mkv I.4 at the mo and I'm looking to invest in a nicer looking and sounding exaust system . Unfortunately I havnt really got any idea what makes an exhaust sound nice or how to create the best air flow . I am looking to get a duel exhaust system like one that's on the r32. Does anyone know what the best way to go about it ? Ie cat back/ just muffler , it's very important that the car doesn't scream moped, so I'm looking for something that has a deep and tuned sounding grawl? Any idea what Would be best suited ? As it's only a 1.4 will the engine have the power to make a tuned exhaust sound or will it just sound like a bag of cats in a bag ???? Plz help, any information will really help , sorry about punctuality written on a phone :) thanks for any help .......

Imagine the scene, a quiet village is suddenly interrupted by a growl coming from afar, all the girls around moisten, the lads harden...they look around expecting a muscle car of some sort to appear out of a bend sideways, but no...it's a 1.4 Golf with a backbox doing 20mph :pac:

I've had the exact same thing, I put a full system on my 1.3 Civic, and if it wasn't for the engine conversion going in I'd have the noisemaker off it! No point in making noise if you're not doing the speed that it sounds like you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ianc929

You'd make a great poet! :) stick to the poetry , im not looking for a load vulgar noise just a soft purrrrrr , anyone with any real answers would be great!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

You'd make a great poet! :) stick to the poetry , im not looking for a load vulgar noise just a soft purrrrrr , anyone with any real answers would be great!!! :)

A decat will get you a soft purr even from the standard exhaust, so I'd go with that to be honest, save some money!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Imagine the scene, a quiet village is suddenly interrupted by a growl coming from afar, all the girls around moisten, the lads harden...they look around expecting a muscle car of some sort to appear out of a bend sideways, but no...it's a 1.4 Golf with a backbox doing 20mph :pac:

I've had the exact same thing, I put a full system on my 1.3 Civic, and if it wasn't for the engine conversion going in I'd have the noisemaker off it! No point in making noise if you're not doing the speed that it sounds like you are!

But you were? :confused:

Hows to know OP's 1.4 won't get a new engine some day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I'd go with the decat as ME suggested and buy a nice set of alloys/lower it a bit if you haven't already instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I went through allot of messing trying to shut up the exhaust on my car.

The one it came with was loud way too loud and I couldn't drive at motorway speeds due to the level of noise actually causing a headache.

Parallel parking with anyone watching was also embarrassing especially when your getting used to a new smaller car take a second run at it with onlookers in an echoy street.

Honestly it still doesnt sound nice but its legal and reasonably quiet when bung fitted. It did pay for itself on a trackday revving more freely and with my planned modifications its actually needed for safety of the engine.

The only way to make an exhaust sound nice it to put more cylinders in your engine. (theirs probably an odd exception)

My 2c.

Disclaimer:
    I'm old cranky and antagonistic

Ok I understand and agree with all your points on noisy cars, but again this isn't what I'm looking for , i want dual exhausts that aren't load they just sound???? The decat sounds like a good idea but isn't it illegal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ok I understand and agree with all your points on noisy cars, but again this isn't what I'm looking for , i want dual exhausts that aren't load they just sound???? The decat sounds like a good idea but isn't it illegal ?

You'll have to put it back on for the NCT.

You wont get a nice sound out of a 1.4 Golf with any change of exhaust, only louder, get a twin exit back box or something.

Don't go mimicking the two exhausts of an R32, they just look stupid on a 1.4 Golf.

No im not looking for the r32, im lookin for something like this picture.
    will a twin exit back box fit at the rear of the car or were would it be placed? any back boxes in mind that would do the job? would anything else need to be changed or just a back box? Thanks for all the help so far :)

http://www.golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72853

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Geezus lads just help the guy :D

Tbh if you want a nicer sounding exhaust without unwanted attention from the gards or NCT you cant go far wrong than with an OEM GTI exhaust, Subtle looking and subtle sounding. As for the 1.4 never sounding good, i dont really agree they can sound decent enough for what they are if the right exhaust is fit

Heres the GTI exhaust on a 1.4 ;) (not sure if it still has the cat though)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the last comment. i have decided to go for a GTi exhaust system as it will be very cheap and sounds good. ppl have been saying a AWE resonator works really well with this system but i cant find any products made by AWE (or is AWE short for something) ??

Does the Gti exhaust come in a dual satup? How much would a new gti exhaust set me back compared to a second hand one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

The MkV has a twin exit as standard, buying new from VW...it's gonna be very expensive. Keep an eye out for any GTIs being broke for parts, you should find one handy enough.

Maybe try traynors and keep an eye on vag-drivers

Advertisement