Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone "Confusology"

Options
  • 01-06-2011 5:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Just starting another thread for the off-topic posts from this thread. In light of this news article. Be wary of mobile phone company pricing in Australia, it is designed to confuse you and make choosing a plan / provider difficult based on cost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Erm. Not for me it wasnt.

They are all sort of the same, just their phones differ depending on who has the licence to sell them

I got a Desire HD, for 59 a month. 3Gb data, $700 call/text credit.

Every other dealer had almost identical deals for other phones.

I found it less confusing than Ireland by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I might question why you're buying a phone from a network in the first place. How much did it cost you?

Also, how are they all the same? Telstra has a gold-plated network, while VHA is almost exclusively urban and overall pretty average.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I mean the costs not the coverage, Vodafone is pure ****e. I wish I went Telstra but I wanted the HD. Plus Telstra wouldnt even credit check me because I had no employment.
    The phone cost me nothing outright, however my plan is 24 months at 59 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Jumpy wrote: »
    I mean the costs not the coverage, Vodafone is pure ****e.
    Cost is not the only consideration, that ignores value for money.
    Jumpy wrote: »
    The phone cost me nothing outright, however my plan is 24 months at 59 a month.
    Nothing outright does not mean nothing. You have signed up for 24 months at $59 a month. Which is $1416. I don't know how much it would cost you to get out of that contract but that is likely the minimum you will pay. Personally I never sign up to a contract because it makes me almost powerless to negotiate if there is a problem later.

This is not an Ireland Vs Australia issue like mentioned above. We don't have the luxury of using Irish operators in Australia or Australian operators in Ireland. I just hope people give a little thought to entering contracts with these companies and how they perceive them.

Advertisement