Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McCarthyism

• 01-06-2011 8:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hey, I'm just wondering what needs to be in an essay covering McCarthyism in US history? I did it all the way back in fifth yr so it's all a bit vague? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Fear of Communism, the red scare, the arrest of innocent FBI and CIA officials, the deaths of Rosenbergs. Sorry, studied it so long ago and it's not the most interesting :P. I did it last year, so if you have any question on other periods of history, feel free to ask. I repeated last year, so i've experience :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mty92

Would be a fantastic essay to come up! In your introduction give a very VERY brief account on the state of the American economy and the current cold war situation. Write a short bio on McCarthy and keep it short and to the point. Continue your essay about the redscare and the 'witch-hunt' within the American civil service ie. CIA, FBI and the foreign department. Write a detailed account then on the army trials and how it being broadcasted showcased McCarthy for what he really was. The end of the essay is critical you must give details on how McCarthyism affected and embarrassed America and its foreign policy and why it is a bleak point in its history. No harm in giving details in your conclusion on what was McCarthy's motive in his actions and how he really was just a politician who would do and say anything to get elected. Its important you also mention that through the sackings of many officials in the state departments that many valueble employees were lost and it is for that reason why Americans were misinformed and misguided on issues like Vietnam. If you can it would impress the examiner giving a short account on how the redscare influenced Hollywood. Many fine actors were lost because of communist accusations and it gave opportunities to actors to get ahead, most notably Ronald Regan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheRepeat

Thank you both soo much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Is this topic likely to come up this year?

I agree it would be a dream of a question.

Advertisement