Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor versus Three

Options
  • 01-06-2011 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all,

Have option of picking up S2 on three or meteor, the phone is more expensive on meteor but I'm not too worried about that.

I know the packages both have but I'm most concerned about the coverage particularly for data.... It'll be used 80% of the time in dublin I'd say
    Any comments on the reception/coverage of either??

It'll be the 35 euro tariff on meteor or the 40 on three.

Need to make a decision by this evening as I'm WELL overdue a new phone!

Thanks a million for any feedback!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

With three myself, no probs with coverage in dublin. had 5 bars of 3g coverage in achill last week.

Three are behind the 3g rural broadband scheme so they should be ok for internet all over the country.

Also noticed Edge connectivity over the last week occasionally which is a big deal for some apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Where in the country roughly are you ? That would help people to inform you of what reception is like in their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

3 still refuse to acknowledge the "edge of cell" issue that plagues their network (even in Dublin city centre). See 3 forum for complaints. Go with Meteor, their network actually works properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

srsly78 wrote: »
    3 still refuse to acknowledge the "edge of cell" issue that plagues their network (even in Dublin city centre). See 3 forum for complaints. Go with Meteor, their network actually works properly.

meteors network doesn't work properly for me (in rural area, outdoors was only alright, indoors was terrible), so i had to switch to three - but having read some of the threads in the three forum, i'm concerned about them and am unsure if i'll be staying with them long term. From what I've read it seems to me that three are fine until you have an issue and need to interact with their customer service departments. Then it'll drive you round the bend. Have a look at the "hounding" thread in particular.

Yeah rural coverage is a whole seperate issue, depends where you live. I had to abandon 3 because their network didn't work in city center :rolleyes: Switched to meteor, was grand for a year. On vodafone now so I can roam in the UK (data roaming). If you don't care about mobile data then 3 aren't bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think that is related to iPhones only - Threes data coverage in Dublin is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

I'm on meteor and never have a problem with data speeds or signal. Usually give speedtest a run just out of curiosity and I do range from 5mbps to 8mbps down and 1-2mbps up. That's fairy good I must say! All in various parts of Dublin, southside and northside.

I think that is related to iPhones only - Threes data coverage in Dublin is superb.

Nope. Affects android as well. Problem is not related to coverage at all, is related to 3 not having a 2g network and relying on domestic roaming that is not setup properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

before you go with meteor, have a look at three's "all you can eat" data offer while you're at it, 15GB per month on a €40 per month contract, then you can tether the S2 to your laptop and drive on! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

arsenal wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have option of picking up S2 on three or meteor, the phone is more expensive on meteor but I'm not too worried about that.

I know the packages both have but I'm most concerned about the coverage particularly for data.... It'll be used 80% of the time in dublin I'd say
    Any comments on the reception/coverage of either??

It'll be the 35 euro tariff on meteor or the 40 on three.

Need to make a decision by this evening as I'm WELL overdue a new phone!

Thanks a million for any feedback!

well from another point of view, i was up north today, and was using a mobile broadband account, and a mobile phone, both on three, and used both a lot, checked online, and it all has come out of my monthly allocation, and no roaming charges! which is excellent...

• Advertisement

Yeah rural coverage is a whole seperate issue, depends where you live. I had to abandon 3 because their network didn't work in city center :rolleyes: Switched to meteor, was grand for a year. On vodafone now so I can roam in the UK (data roaming). If you don't care about mobile data then 3 aren't bad.

you cannot use a vodafone mobile broadband dongle/ usb modem in the uk and have it come out of your monthly allowance, and no extra roaming charges. you can with three

Nope. Affects android as well. Problem is not related to coverage at all, is related to 3 not having a 2g network and relying on domestic roaming that is not setup properly.

three / hutchinson / etc should just buy vodafone IE and be done with it... :D , and put an end to all those fanciful VF T&C's;)

ingen wrote: »
    you cannot use a vodafone mobile broadband dongle/ usb modem in the uk and have it come out of your monthly allowance, and no extra roaming charges. you can with three

Why would I use a mobile dongle when my phone can do the same thing? Yes vodafone on the iphone charges for tethering, not on android tho.

@jimmy: Cool spam bro. You gonna fix that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

@jimmy: Cool spam bro. You gonna fix that?

??? BACKSEAT MOD???LOL
    Not spam either...

Why would I use a mobile dongle when my phone can do the same thing? Yes vodafone on the iphone charges for tethering, not on android tho.

they do if you use it in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I had this issue using Android, had to cancel the contract.

A free SIM is the best way to check before deciding.

ingen wrote: »
    they do if you use it in the uk

Nop.

edit: Ok you gave me a bit of a scare so I went and double checked. Have been using loads of data (incl tether) on my nexus S here in UK since monday. I rang up vodafone and here is what they told me. If you DON'T have the internet add on you get charged a fortune. If you do have the irish data addon, UK data usage comes out of that. They confirmed my balance is e3.41. It would have been thousands of euros otherwise! But yes, I can see how people are confused, they don't make this very clear on the website. If I do end up with a omgwtf bill I will come back here and admit you were right, then I will go and cry probably :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

How does three know if data I've used was via tethering or directly on my phone? I can tether two ways. One is by connecting mob to laptop using USB, the other is turning on the wifi hotspots app which allows other wireless devices to connect to my mob in the same way you would connect any wireless device to a wireless router.

I believe you only incur roaming charges on three (roi) in the UK if you are connected to another operators network. If you're on a three network it would be the same as using it in the ROI or "at home" as they call it.

If you visit the my3 website and login, you can change the settings so that you don't incur roaming charges. In the event of you being in the UK and you are unable to connect to a three network, it won't load any data until you are connected to a three network. Its a very good feature as it would save you the paranoia about accidentally switching to another operatores network whilst travelling.

• Advertisement

Sorry my post was talking about vodafone, responding to other guy. Should have made that clear.

About tethering phone in general, vodafone charge extra for this on iphone. Dunno about 3. They know because the iphone tells them! So to avoid tether charge either hack your iphone, or don't use iphone :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

Sorry my post was talking about vodafone, responding to other guy. Should have made that clear.

About tethering phone in general, vodafone charge extra for this on iphone. Dunno about 3. They know because the iphone tells them! So to avoid tether charge either hack your iphone, or don't use iphone :)

Is this charge only enforceable on iPhone? I have an HTC Desire HD....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

djrichard wrote: »
    Is this charge only enforceable on iPhone? I have an HTC Desire HD....

Three don't charge for tethering.

Yup only vodafone do. Loads of iphone users complaining like crazy on the talkto vodafone forum :)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056199191 Vodafone + Android = no worries.

Advertisement